Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 05:46 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Remote learning doesn't work, like, at all. It's completely unnatural and the more needs a kid has, particularly special needs, the less it works. That's not even factoring in socialization, activities other than following the common core worksheets, and the fact that most parents are two-income earners and depend on kids being in school most of the day.
Oh, next they tell us how much they worry about the quality of the education the kids are getting. The reason it "works" is because they have no choice they will say. We are doing the best we can.

More interesting to me is how they will justify the numbers superintendent salaries, Oh wait never mind, managing remote learning takes a lot more time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 06:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Something that at least some of our friends who are teachers are concerned with is that if teaching remotely works then their services won’t be needed in the same way. School districts could get a teacher who is an excellent presenter, video them and then use that presentation over and over.
I’m sure teachers will still have a role but it could be different than it is today.

That wouldn't really work for various reasons, but most teachers' personalities are so attuned to the worst case scenario I'm not surprised they "went there". First of all what certified teacher can make a living recording themselves and getting paid for it once? Second of all teaching isn't about just lecturing, so it's funny that actual teachers would think this could be espoused by anyone actually in education.

Remote learning CAN work for a short time, but the technology needs to be there. We've been blinded by technology that they are putting into schools that most teachers don't care about, and stymied by an inability to do something like - have kids able to dial into a meeting where the teacher is actually teaching and the kids can ask questions (ie for math class where problems would be put on a board). This can be done, and has been done (I have a friend whose son attends school remotely full time) but the fears of educators being REPLACED trumps everything. The whole thing is so ridiculous. Only two more years dealing with the public education system and I cannot wait to be done with it. Biggest regret of the last few years is not sending my youngest to private HS along with her brother.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I’m hearing kids will likely go back in September but the are looking at doing the 50/50 with half the kids doing one week and the other half the next.
That's looking like what it's going to be here, too.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's looking like what it's going to be here, too.
Yeah, thats great for parents too Time to get on with life, this is retarded.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Yeah, thats great for parents too Time to get on with life, this is retarded.
That's a very grown up word. Congrats on YOUR education.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:36 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
That's a very grown up word. Congrats on YOUR education.
I was home schooled.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:19 PM

855 posts, read 451,261 times
I have spoken with multiple people involved in Nassau school districts and a staggered schedule appears to be the plan and they're playing on it for the entire school year.

So many moms will need to be home.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:49 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
I have spoken with multiple people involved in Nassau school districts and a staggered schedule appears to be the plan and they're playing on it for the entire school year.

Is the great governor going to make up everyone's income? Or shake a tin cup at either Congress or the taxpayers?

Old 06-28-2020, 02:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

Or dads. Or grandparents (who will be more at risk). This will be a big stress on 2 income families.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
That wouldn't really work for various reasons, but most teachers' personalities are so attuned to the worst case scenario I'm not surprised they "went there". First of all what certified teacher can make a living recording themselves and getting paid for it once? Second of all teaching isn't about just lecturing, so it's funny that actual teachers would think this could be espoused by anyone actually in education.

Remote learning CAN work for a short time, but the technology needs to be there. We've been blinded by technology that they are putting into schools that most teachers don't care about, and stymied by an inability to do something like - have kids able to dial into a meeting where the teacher is actually teaching and the kids can ask questions (ie for math class where problems would be put on a board). This can be done, and has been done (I have a friend whose son attends school remotely full time) but the fears of educators being REPLACED trumps everything. The whole thing is so ridiculous. Only two more years dealing with the public education system and I cannot wait to be done with it. Biggest regret of the last few years is not sending my youngest to private HS along with her brother.
Not replaced, but a changed role. They cringed when I jokingly mentioned help-desk.
One reason, of several, it likely wouldn’t work is that these days schools are acting as babysitters for many kids so the parents can work. So it’ll be difficult to get employees back on site if there is no where for their kids to go during the day.
It’ll be an interesting time for education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island