Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2020, 02:42 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,785,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
We all know the taxes are high. We all know there's mismanagement, waste, and cronyism. We all know there's traffic and outdated infrastructure. But this thread is asking what makes Long Island worth it... and the question itself implies that the OP means despite the problems. Clearly, for those of us who love it here, the pros outweigh the cons.
Those who remain aren't necessarily staying for love of the Island. For some there's family nearby, good paying employment and the kids' education. These things make staying on LI a necessity, not so much a tremendous pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 04:54 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,877,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Many who never leave NY don't see it.

I don't think that's true at all - people are just being honest about the cash grab and the primary reason they leave. So what's the natural retort by people here? That they can't afford it. Why are people so proud to afford this rip off job? These unions only care about themselves and so there are the majority of the supporters. Much like the Trumpets. You think the money we put into this place is actually giving us equal return? People are saying to wake up. It ain't ok to preach about fantasy island when it isn't one.
You see 10-20 people on message boards complaining about taxes. I see highly taxed homeowners putting hundreds of thousands into their house knowing their taxes are going to explode. My cup is half full, and when the time is right I’ll adjust accordingly. Keep ya chin up!

Old 11-14-2020, 05:01 PM

1,107 posts, read 546,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Those who remain aren't necessarily staying for love of the Island. For some there's family nearby, good paying employment and the kids' education. These things make staying on LI a necessity, not so much a tremendous pleasure.
Then those are their reasons for "what makes Long Island worth it." In the long run, DESPITE the taxes, Long Island has enough to offer to make people want to stay here.

Old 11-14-2020, 05:33 PM

21 posts, read 22,776 times
I agree, but why are you trying to move to FL as your posts reveal? LOL stay there, right?

Old 11-15-2020, 06:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,813,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So you're saying that people have to experience living somewhere else in order to know that they're getting screwed? I think that's a slight towards your fellow LIers. Can you give an example of a county as dense as Nassau in the US who's infrastructure is up to date, and has been settled as long as Nassau? There's a reason why you go to other places and ther infrastructure is newer, they just started building up their metro areas 20 years ago.

Don't you guys vote on the school budgets there? Who's voting yes, the spouses of the municipal workers? I'm surprised ppl on Nassau and Suffolk even bother voting.
Much like many other things in life, you don't know what you're missing until you have experienced it. A new job, a new girlfriend, a new car, etc. People love comfort and hate change and justifications are made especially when they are paying so much. I don't think much more needs to be said about that.

Voting on school budgets isn't voting on the vast majority of the cost which is teacher compensation. I've posted proof of it before... it's in plain black and white known as school budgets. We aren't able to turn down their compensation - we only have the option to turn down other things (programs, building improvements, etc.) which are a much smaller portion of the budget to begin with. And as my napkin math showed, it would affect a very minimal amount per homeowner if it were voted down. Let's also put it this way - the towns who have turned down their budgets, whereby the auxiliary budget gets passed - what were their savings on the tax bill the following year and did it last? It's a joke - an illusion of control.

Arlington, VA has almost identical population to Nassau and had plenty of new construction and continually undergoing construction when we passed through. New buildings, streets were welcoming, attractive business-fronts, etc. Here's a couple examples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8880...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8879...7i16384!8i8192

Regardless, density has little to do with it when you spend this much on taxes and get so very little return. I don't know how that can be disputed - we all know an overwhelming chunk goes into people's wallets (peon or not) and not the place. What's left over is for upkeep, and if you want actual improvements, private funding or tax hike, which who would want to pay even more than they already are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
You see 10-20 people on message boards complaining about taxes. I see highly taxed homeowners putting hundreds of thousands into their house knowing their taxes are going to explode. My cup is half full, and when the time is right I’ll adjust accordingly. Keep ya chin up!
Yes, for people who benefit from unions and their selfish & greedy ways, their cup would be half full... it's a big reason they can make it here and wouldn't make the same inflated salary anywhere else. Not surprising they'd stay. Or you have the ones leeching off of NYC - there's nothing wrong with that, but again - not surprising they'd stay in proximity.

Many people improve their homes because it improves their lifestyle. They opt to do so since they consider it's only +8k or 10k and not the overall figure on an actual tax bill years later. They'll "worry about it later", very common in purchasing of today's world, especially big ticket items like a house. If based on that alone you're telling me people here are happy about paying $20k+, or only 20 people are unhappy about their tax bill on LI, you're delusional. You think my neighbor in a 1200sf 70-year-old unimproved ranch paying $10k in taxes (same as a $1M house elsewhere) is happy about it? It's not a badge of honor. The point is it's not utopia here but people love to self-indulge in the idea for some illogical reason.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-15-2020 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-15-2020, 08:52 AM

33,533 posts, read 46,891,817 times
Quote:
We aren't able to turn down their compensation -
So, I ask again, why bother voting?

And as for Arlington, have you seen home prices there? Arlington looks more expensive than Nassau County to me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-15-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Voting on school budgets isn't voting on the vast majority of the cost which is teacher compensation. I've posted proof of it before... it's in plain black and white known as school budgets.
The longer I live way from LI, the less I understand the point of school budget votes. Where I live now, I get a single, itemized tax bill that doesn't even list the schools as a separate charge. There's a city and county tax that's probably got the schools bundled in there. There's no such thing as a school budget vote or any other kind of budget vote.

On LI, almost all school district budgets pass, and if they don't another vote is held to railroad the public until the budget passes. These budget votes cover none of what comprises those hefty tax bills, and you're voting on mostly optional s.d. enhancements like sports.

I'm saying that budget votes are unnecessary, and exist only to create the illusion of taxpayer control. Voting them up or down won't change your tax bill in a meaningful way. As stated in this thread and elsewhere, employee salaries and benefits are the biggest expense, and those DO NOT get voted on by the public.

School budget votes are a big waste of your money. Millions could be saved by not having them at all. This is another form of the public sector on LI squandering your tax dollars. I suppose there's a crony employee infrastructure involved at running them, so the chances of them being gone are pretty much nil.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,126,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The longer I live way from LI, the less I understand the point of school budget votes. Where I live now, I get a single, itemized tax bill that doesn't even list the schools as a separate charge. There's a city and county tax that's probably got the schools bundled in there. There's no such thing as a school budget vote or any other kind of budget vote.

On LI, almost all school district budgets pass, and if they don't another vote is held to railroad the public until the budget passes. These budget votes cover none of what comprises those hefty tax bills, and you're voting on mostly optional s.d. enhancements like sports.

I'm saying that budget votes are unnecessary, and exist only to create the illusion of taxpayer control. Voting them up or down won't change your tax bill in a meaningful way. As stated in this thread and elsewhere, employee salaries and benefits are the biggest expense, and those DO NOT get voted on by the public.

School budget votes are a big waste of your money. Millions could be saved by not having them at all. This is another form of the public sector on LI squandering your tax dollars. I suppose there's a crony employee infrastructure involved at running them, so the chances of them being gone are pretty much nil.
Who makes up the budget? The superintendent and staff. Do you vote for them? No.

Who hires them? The school board. Do you vote for them? Yes.

The only way to effect change is to seriously change the school board, but given typical low turnout (except of course for teachers themselves) they rarely if ever get voted in.

And, of course, the votes are also staggered, so you can’t change out an entire board.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Who makes up the budget? The superintendent and staff. Do you vote for them? No.

Who hires them? The school board. Do you vote for them? Yes.

The only way to effect change is to seriously change the school board, but given typical low turnout (except of course for teachers themselves) they rarely if ever get voted in.

And, of course, the votes are also staggered, so you can’t change out an entire board.
The unions sponsor people to run for the boards of ed. so they've got a lot of clout. They're very opaque about it, so it's difficult to tell who sponsored the candidates.

In short, few to nobody actually represent the taxpayers at the negotiation table, and the people in power act like it's none of their business. That's why so many LI'ers get a $10K+ school tax bill.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:49 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,877,790 times
Quote:
Much like many other things in life, you don't know what you're missing until you have experienced it. A new job, a new girlfriend, a new car, etc. People love comfort and hate change and justifications are made especially when they are paying so much. I don't think much more needs to be said about that.

Voting on school budgets isn't voting on the vast majority of the cost which is teacher compensation. I've posted proof of it before... it's in plain black and white known as school budgets. We aren't able to turn down their compensation - we only have the option to turn down other things (programs, building improvements, etc.) which are a much smaller portion of the budget to begin with. And as my napkin math showed, it would affect a very minimal amount per homeowner if it were voted down. Let's also put it this way - the towns who have turned down their budgets, whereby the auxiliary budget gets passed - what were their savings on the tax bill the following year and did it last? It's a joke - an illusion of control.

Arlington, VA has almost identical population to Nassau and had plenty of new construction and continually undergoing construction when we passed through. New buildings, streets were welcoming, attractive business-fronts, etc. Here's a couple examples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8880...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8879...7i16384!8i8192

Regardless, density has little to do with it when you spend this much on taxes and get so very little return. I don't know how that can be disputed - we all know an overwhelming chunk goes into people's wallets (peon or not) and not the place. What's left over is for upkeep, and if you want actual improvements, private funding or tax hike, which who would want to pay even more than they already are?

Yes, for people who benefit from unions and their selfish & greedy ways, their cup would be half full... it's a big reason they can make it here and wouldn't make the same inflated salary anywhere else. Not surprising they'd stay. Or you have the ones leeching off of NYC - there's nothing wrong with that, but again - not surprising they'd stay in proximity.

Many people improve their homes because it improves their lifestyle. They opt to do so since they consider it's only +8k or 10k and not the overall figure on an actual tax bill years later. They'll "worry about it later", very common in purchasing of today's world, especially big ticket items like a house. If based on that alone you're telling me people here are happy about paying $20k+, or only 20 people are unhappy about their tax bill on LI, you're delusional. You think my neighbor in a 1200sf 70-year-old unimproved ranch paying $10k in taxes (same as a $1M house elsewhere) is happy about it? It's not a badge of honor. The point is it's not utopia here but people love to self-indulge in the idea for some illogical reason.
Nobody claims Long Island is a utopia. Nobody! The haters use that hyperbole because they like to complain. That’s why they are haters. Many overcompensate their lack of worth by driving expensive cars and living in fancy neighborhoods. Again, regardless of its corrupt political system, LI continues to be a very, very desirable location to millions upon millions. Saying you can live elsewhere for cheaper is like saying the sky is blue, everyone knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island