Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 10:35 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Only on the Atlantic side. On the Gulf side it's full of Yoopers drinking pop you betcha.
Nah it’s there too.
I have a ton of family/friends that purposely moved to the gulf coast to avoid the tropical Lawn Guyland.
Didn’t work out so well. Evidently a whole bunch a people had the same idea.
I’d say it’s not quite as bad but I’m probably being too optimistic about that.
The left coast migration is in full swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 12:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
That's the problem - no homestead exemption with cap on increases to 3%.
Yup we don’t get it. The Miami place we have has homestead as it’s not in a llc. We just raise the rent accordingly. Since this is a young crowd part of south tampa walkable to bars and such. No one cares about the yearly hikes. 7 years and house is worth double what we paid including the Reno $$.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:56 AM

184 posts, read 227,679 times
What makes it worth it? Poor people leaving because they can’t afford to live here.

Old 12-24-2020, 07:48 AM

297 posts, read 196,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
What makes it worth it? Poor people leaving because they can’t afford to live here.
Poor people are the ones that stayed. The rich don’t want their money paying for poor people.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:41 AM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Oh you mean the middle class? The ones that pay the most taxes and keep things going around here?
Good luck when they’re all gone and you have nobody to cut your lawn, fix your plumbing, electric, etc...
Also, shopping will come to an end because there’ll be no peons left to work the stores for crap salaries.
The majority of people I know that left, including myself, did it because the people suck and even though they can afford to live here, they are tired of being ass raped financially for no good reason.
Boomers love paying for services...when the robots are doing everything some Boomers will be emotionally crushed

When I use the term it's not an offense to all people in that age range, just those in that age range with that mindset

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-24-2020, 10:06 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Oh you mean the middle class? The ones that pay the most taxes and keep things going around here?
Good luck when they’re all gone and you have nobody to cut your lawn, fix your plumbing, electric, etc...
Also, shopping will come to an end because there’ll be no peons left to work the stores for crap salaries.
The majority of people I know that left, including myself, did it because the people suck and even though they can afford to live here, they are tired of being ass raped financially for no good reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
Poor people are the ones that stayed. The rich don’t want their money paying for poor people.
https://www.newsday.com/business/cor...sau-1.50038228
"Homes in Suffolk sold for a median price of $464,375 last month, up 13% compared with a year earlier, OneKey MLS, the multiple listing service that includes Long Island, reported Thursday.
"In Nassau County, the median sale price increased year-over-year by 9.3%, to $590,000, the multiple listing service reported.
"September marked the second month in a row that Suffolk sale prices have set new records. In August, homes in Suffolk traded for a median price of $456,000, and Nassau home prices set a record high of $595,000.
"The number of home sales jumped annually by 18% in Suffolk and 16% in Nassau last month, MLS reported. In a sign that the market is likely to remain hot, the number of homes going into contract rose year-over-year by 55% in Suffolk and about 65% in Nassau, the reports show."
But you go ahead and keep telling us how Long Island is so terrible that no one wants to live here.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
https://www.newsday.com/business/cor...sau-1.50038228
"Homes in Suffolk sold for a median price of $464,375 last month, up 13% compared with a year earlier, OneKey MLS, the multiple listing service that includes Long Island, reported Thursday.
"In Nassau County, the median sale price increased year-over-year by 9.3%, to $590,000, the multiple listing service reported.
"September marked the second month in a row that Suffolk sale prices have set new records. In August, homes in Suffolk traded for a median price of $456,000, and Nassau home prices set a record high of $595,000.
"The number of home sales jumped annually by 18% in Suffolk and 16% in Nassau last month, MLS reported. In a sign that the market is likely to remain hot, the number of homes going into contract rose year-over-year by 55% in Suffolk and about 65% in Nassau, the reports show."
But you go ahead and keep telling us how Long Island is so terrible that no one wants to live here.
Those are great numbers for both counties. People thinking of selling should probably ride the wave and sell now as at some point it’ll slow down as it did in 2007.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:21 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^ Of course it will slow down, then jump back up in a few years. Same as the stock market, will have ups and downs.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:35 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Boomers love paying for services...when the robots are doing everything some Boomers will be emotionally crushed

When I use the term it's not an offense to all people in that age range, just those in that age range with that mindset
What's wrong with people of a certain age (Boomers are now seniors), who've worked hard all their lives and saved enough to make life easier for themselves, paying others to do laborious jobs when (1) they can afford to do so, (2) they are providing a paycheck to others, and (3) they are freeing up their time to do things they enjoy instead?

Why do you and a few others here seem to resent anyone who's worked hard and saved enough money to live well later on in life, and pass judgment on how they choose to spend their money or time?

How 'bout you do you, and I'll do me? It's not your money I'm spending, it's not taxpayer money I'm spending. It's my money I'm spending. Why do you care what I spend it on?

It's quite funny how you deride Boomers for paying for services while defending NYC taxes as being high because of the plethora of services funded by those taxes. So it's okay for taxpayers to pay for services that keep things running smoothly and keep people employed, but it's not okay when Boomers use their own money to do the same on a personal level?

Oh, and btw, Boomers are a resilient bunch. We've lived through a lot of history, earned our trophies, worked our way up from the bottom and achieved a greater success as a group than any other generation before or since. There isn't much that could "emotionally crush" us.

And that's probably what bothers you most, Millennial.

Now go get your participation trophy, beg for taxpayers to foot the bill for your student loan, sit on your butt while waiting for that job at the top to just fall in your entitled lap, and complain about how hard you have it.

But...but...but...Boomers!

Last edited by 562026; 12-24-2020 at 12:52 PM..

Old 12-24-2020, 12:38 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^ Of course it will slow down, then jump back up in a few years. Same as the stock market, will have ups and downs.
2007-2011 was more than a slowdown though. My house in Suffolk lost 25% in value, partly because I bought near the peak in 2005. As I had a 30-year fixed it wasn’t a big issue but many people got hit hard with adjustable rate mortgages. 15 years later the value is still showing less than what I paid.

This latest bubble was driven by a one-off event, people fleeing NYC. While it’s typical for GC and other towns within a 1 hour train ride to NYC to sell strongly I wonder if all those buying east of 111 (or 112) will have regrets in a year when they realize they overpaid and now have to commute as they’re called back to the office. Could get ugly. Or, it could be a permanent shift and a great opportunity for those cashing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island