Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 9,541 times

Advertisements

The suburbs extend out much, much further on Long Island than in New Jersey or The Hudson Valley. Even a place like Patchogue that is halfway to Montauk is still denser than parts of Essex County, NJ. This makes sense since it's long and skinny so there's less room to expand. You don't really get much in the way of farms or rural areas until Riverhead. Everyone on the island is bottlenecked, in that they have to go through multiple boroughs of New York City to get anywhere else in the country.

My question is,
What draws people to Long Island? Why choose it over, say, New Jersey? What are the advantages? Is it worth the longer commute?

*Note: This is not meant to be offensive. There are lots of great areas on Long Island. I'm just wondering what makes people choose them over similar areas on a different side of Metro New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 08:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,928,026 times
There are no tolls to travel to NYC.
School districts (North Shore)
Beaches

Old 06-25-2020, 09:46 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,277,441 times
For a lot of us, it’s ties. It’s family. Its where we were born & raised.

Beaches
Proximity to NYC
Great people
Good food options
Good nightlife
Excellent schools
High quality of life

Old 06-25-2020, 09:54 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,746,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4018 View Post
The suburbs extend out much, much further on Long Island than in New Jersey or The Hudson Valley. Even a place like Patchogue that is halfway to Montauk is still denser than parts of Essex County, NJ. This makes sense since it's long and skinny so there's less room to expand. You don't really get much in the way of farms or rural areas until Riverhead. Everyone on the island is bottlenecked, in that they have to go through multiple boroughs of New York City to get anywhere else in the country.

My question is,
What draws people to Long Island? Why choose it over, say, New Jersey? What are the advantages? Is it worth the longer commute?

*Note: This is not meant to be offensive. There are lots of great areas on Long Island. I'm just wondering what makes people choose them over similar areas on a different side of Metro New York.
LOL there is no place on LI that is anywhere near as dense as certain parts of Essex County, like Newark, or the Oranges, or Irvington.

LI has easier access to ocean, than NNJ. NNJers have to drive down GSP. Ocean access is like right there for LI.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:27 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,799,920 times
If I were to leave, I would miss:

Family
Beaches
not sure about pizza where I'm going

(hate bagels)
(schools/teachers are overrated, and we live in a good area)
(NYC is a zoo, had enough of it)

Old 06-26-2020, 01:07 AM

565 posts, read 356,801 times
As someone who grew up right on the Queens/Nassau border and played youth hockey/soccer on Long Island all the way into my 30s, and partied all over Long Island (even during college)...it's basically home to me.

A lot of my Queens friends thought about moving to places like Westchester, upstate NY, CT and NJ but at the end of the day we just aren't those people. Nassau and parts of Suffolk won't admit it, but they are very much NYC like.

Nassau was always the logical landing spot for me, especially as even the nice parts of Eastern Queens get more foreign. But don't think for a sec that I'm sticking around NY. As someone in my late 40s, I've been here/done that with LI/NYC. Hopefully you'll find me in Southern California in the near future.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:10 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,102,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
If I were to leave, I would miss:

Family
Beaches
not sure about pizza where I'm going

(hate bagels)
(schools/teachers are overrated, and we live in a good area)
(NYC is a zoo, had enough of it)
Family is it.

There are great beaches elsewhere, as well as pizza (and bagels for those who like them).

Old 06-26-2020, 05:53 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,381,566 times
OK, I will play. People claiming pizza is good elsewhere, well I have been to 9 other states, and never found any pizza that didn't suck. Same goes for bagels. SO if your a pizza/bagel snob like me, you will regret moving.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,102,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
OK, I will play. People claiming pizza is good elsewhere, well I have been to 9 other states, and never found any pizza that didn't suck. Same goes for bagels. SO if your a pizza/bagel snob like me, you will regret moving.
If you’ve eaten at every pizza and bagel place in those 9 states then I’d say you have an argument.

But if someone went to another state and ate Domino’s and Einstein bagels then not so much. Not saying you did, but outside of NY it takes some searching and often finding a local joint to get good stuff.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:40 AM

105,766 posts, read 107,756,464 times
actually i had dominos yesterday for the first time ever .... the crust was actually good but as pizza -meh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island