Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 01:05 AM

7 posts, read 9,731 times

Advertisements

How often do people from super far out areas like Riverhead actually commute into NYC? It could be >2 hours in some cases, it looks like. Do most people living in those places work in the county and go into NYC maybe on the weekends? Or do they do it anyway and deal with the rediculus commute?

Where would you say the "line" is where most people don't commute into the city because it's too far? Does commuting slowly become less common or is there a pretty abrupt place where it loses popularity (ie. the last train station on a line).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 03:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4018 View Post
How often do people from super far out areas like Riverhead actually commute into NYC? It could be >2 hours in some cases, it looks like. Do most people living in those places work in the county and go into NYC maybe on the weekends? Or do they do it anyway and deal with the rediculus commute?

Where would you say the "line" is where most people don't commute into the city because it's too far? Does commuting slowly become less common or is there a pretty abrupt place where it loses popularity (ie. the last train station on a line).
On the north shore I’d say east of Port Jefferson where the LIRR ends. Which is a 1:45 to 2 hour commute each way

Old 06-26-2020, 05:06 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4018 View Post

To NYC, every line regardless of how far. Approximate time from from Ronkokoma to Penn:
10 minute drive to train station
10 minutes early to walk & park car
1.25 hour train ride
10-20 minute Subway ride
10-20 minute walk to destination

Well over two hours each way. That’s when EVERYTHING is on time. All for about $550+ per month. Thank god I don’t do that commute anymore. It literally takes years off your life! I wouldn’t do it again if they doubled my salary. Unfortunately, many have no choice.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:33 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
To NYC, every line regardless of how far. Approximate time from from Ronkokoma to Penn:
10 minute drive to train station
10 minutes early to walk & park car
1.25 hour train ride
10-20 minute Subway ride
10-20 minute walk to destination

Well over two hours each way. That’s when EVERYTHING is on time. All for about $550+ per month. Thank god I don’t do that commute anymore. It literally takes years off your life! I wouldn’t do it again if they doubled my salary. Unfortunately, many have no choice.
It is rough and not worth it.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:31 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
For me the line is 110 farmingdale/ melville border. Anything past that a daily city commute is to much.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:04 PM

150 posts, read 110,175 times
St. James LIRR parking lot is typically 90+% full on a weekday (pre covid). so still plenty of commuters here, even with a 1.5+hr commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island