Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 06:08 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

If this were me I would not buy a home in a flood prone area or a home that was previously flooded house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 07:43 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Yes, Sandy was truly unique, but, if it flooded once, it could flood again. You have to ask yourself if you are up for the potential for a flood and to repair or replace the damages due to that. I would also find out how much flood insurance is for that neighborhood. It can get pretty pricey and that is over and above your regular homeowners insurance.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:24 AM

20 posts, read 18,777 times
Nuts2uiam, we asked the owners for their flood insurance paperwork and they’re currently paying $800 per year. Do you know if flood insurance rates go up once home ownership changes? If yes, is there a way to figure that out?

Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM

20 posts, read 18,777 times
And I’m 100% with you about flood risks - I absolutely think there’s a very strong chance of a Sandy-like storm again in the next decade. But living on the water is a lifelong dream for my husband. We’ve been weighing the risks for a long time and spent a lot of time looking at houses out of the flood area, but we’ve come back around full circle to taking the risk on the waterfront house (With the understanding that it’s got a pretty good chance of not being a good financial investment...)

Old 06-30-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askingaboutlongisland View Post
Nuts2uiam, we asked the owners for their flood insurance paperwork and they’re currently paying $800 per year. Do you know if flood insurance rates go up once home ownership changes? If yes, is there a way to figure that out?
If I were considering a move to a waterfront property I would call my insurer and get a quote. If they don't issue it they will be able to refer you to an underwriter that will. Provide the address and they will be able to give you a quote. I know my-in-laws have seen a rise in their premium since Sandy that was pretty steep and they had only a single shingle off their roof from Sandy (no need for a claim) and live a block off the ocean in Pt. Lookout.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
if you have to get a new policy rates can go up but there is a chance you may be able to take over the current policy. I am a broker so DM if you need more info

Old 06-30-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
if you have to get a new policy rates can go up but there is a chance you may be able to take over the current policy. I am a broker so DM if you need more info
Lubby to the rescue, I told you we missed you.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
It shouldn't, if you are in Zone X. Your only real risk is if it gets reclassified and then the rates will skyrocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: