Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 02:29 PM

855 posts, read 451,261 times

Advertisements

LI has some funny people on it.

It's fine to live here while making money to retire elsewhere.

But then you get the people who cry over planes flying above and leaf blowers.

So those types wouldn't be happy unless they live in North Dakota without a neighbor insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 02:45 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
How do you people do this over and over for a decade, going on 2? If LI isn’t worth it than the people would respond accordingly and real estate would tank.
Kind of like the Queen of England on the cover of the tabloid newspapers at the supermarket checkout lines. It's been her "Sad Last Days" for the last 30 years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
So those types wouldn't be happy unless they live in North Dakota without a neighbor insight.
Kansas for dog owners mystic! Kansas is so flat you can watch your dog run away for two weeks...

Old 06-30-2020, 03:09 PM

376 posts, read 310,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilythecat View Post
... I feel like I am living in bizarro world. In what place besides LI, NYC and maybe San Francisco is $4,000 NOT objectively "a lot" for a mortgage?
I didn’t say it was or wasn’t a lot. You mentioned you make a great living but also said how does one afford a $4k mortgage. Perhaps the meaning of a “great income” is subjective.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
“A small percentage of this country's total population - is doing it. Don't say it like it's everyone. And doing it at the cost of their current comfort, potential activities, their savings, and what they can pass on. How many times do we hear about "house poor"? When you are obligated to pay $100k in taxes in < 7 years - real net pay you will NEVER get back, that is kind of ridiculous. And "decades" of history will also show the tax figures will NEVER go downward, only upward.”

No amount of people "doing it" will make that a positive. Consider this - people from the past who've "done it" may very well wonder how new families now could possibly do it - with the juggle and all. Bottom line, the value is not there (here) or else I'd balance it out with a laundry list of pluses too”

We all have choices. I’m not saying it’s easy, but we all have choices. As far as “house rich”, well you can always downsize & take a bit of equity to enjoy yourself. I never understood why people sit on 500k +/- homes that are paid off, but struggle to live living off of SS.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:21 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post

We all have choices. I’m not saying it’s easy, but we all have choices. As far as “house rich”, well you can always downsize & take a bit of equity to enjoy yourself. I never understood why people sit on 500k +/- homes that are paid off, but struggle to live living off of SS.
While their investment falls down around them! It is sad.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:00 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
I didn’t say it was or wasn’t a lot. You mentioned you make a great living but also said how does one afford a $4k mortgage. Perhaps the meaning of a “great income” is subjective.
$4k is not a lot for a mortgage around here

I want to know what she considers a great living. A couple making $250k combined for example is still only middle class

Old 06-30-2020, 04:18 PM

“$4k is not a lot for a mortgage around here”

75k is not a lot for a car. Compared to what? A 250k Lamborghini?

Old 06-30-2020, 04:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
“$4k is not a lot for a mortgage around here”

75k is not a lot for a car. Compared to what? A 250k Lamborghini?
$75k is a lot for a car b/c a car depreciates.

$4k is not a lot. I would wager most people pay around that.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:24 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
A small percentage of this country's total population - is doing it. Don't say it like it's everyone. And doing it at the cost of their current comfort, potential activities, their savings, and what they can pass on. How many times do we hear about "house poor"? When you are obligated to pay $100k in taxes in < 7 years - real net pay you will NEVER get back, that is kind of ridiculous. And "decades" of history will also show the tax figures will NEVER go downward, only upward.

No amount of people "doing it" will make that a positive. Consider this - people from the past who've "done it" may very well wonder how new families now could possibly do it - with the juggle and all. Bottom line, the value is not there (here) or else I'd balance it out with a laundry list of pluses too.

Check the demographics moving here... they're not exactly privy to how it all has been working... they just want good schooling first and foremost and pay out the nose for the reputation. Meanwhile, anyone honest about their kids/school/teachers knows it's overrated in many ways. Plenty of my kids' classmates get 70s. Plenty of them are super disruptive. Plenty of the teachers assist in *ahem* manufacturing higher grades... and well, let's just say they aren't miracle workers (yet demand to be paid like they are regardless of their output).

MAYBE if parents cared more for their kids' behavior/education/outlook while not having to work so much to sustain their livelihood to pay these ridiculous taxes to support overpaid teachers, EVERYONE* involved would be better off for it.

That's part 1. 2nd part of the answer - NY and its nearby suburbs will always have demand because of family roots. Ask anyone [not foreign] and they'll say they have family here. Doesn't say a damned thing about the locale's natural desirability or value anymore.
Ovi, you raise some good points, rate up.

I think you are right, the majority of us are here because our families are here. Probably you can say the same thing about many part of the country.

But Long Island had desirable features which places it above most suburban areas of the country. Notably its long coastline with ocean beaches, plenty of fishing and boating.

Then it is the Island's location next to New York City. But that location is a blessing and also a curse. New York is one of the great cities of the world and Long Island has easy access to it. But New York City is also overcrowded and expensive. Many of its residents are looking for greener pastures which drives up housing prices and competition on the Island.

And that's it in a nutshell. New York City is one of the key gateways to the USA in a world with almost 8 billion people. I just don't see the QOL of people on Long Island getting any better in the future, sadly only worse.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
$75k is a lot for a car b/c a car depreciates.

$4k is not a lot. I would wager most people pay around that.
I guess my point was, houses range so much. From a few hundred thousand to a few million. But I agree, the “average” 500k +/- home mortgage, property taxes, homeowners is probably 4K +/- Yes, there are many variables, calculation, ect to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island