Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:12 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,174 times

Advertisements

Ten ideas to prepare LI for the 21st century.

1. Build new bridges and/or tunnels to Connecticut and even Rhode Island.

2. Build a high speed railway network connecting Long Island to NYC,
and everywhere else in the country.

3. Reopen the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant.

4. Build another Nuclear power plant on Plum Island.

5. Consolidate L.I.'s 126 school districts into to just two county wide
districts.

6. consolidate all the other service districts into two county districts.

7. replace our regressive property taxes with a progressive income tax.

8. preserve our farmland and even expand agricultural production. Long
Island has some of the best farmland in the country - lets use it wisely.

9. halt mindless sububanization of what is left of L.I.s farmland and natural
areas. Eat local, seasonal, healthy and fresh foods.

10. encourage greater density development in core areas.
Examples: Patchogue, Northport, Babylon, etc... and connect said places
with Maglev trains to the high speed train network.

What do you think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
"HOW" do you propose we pay for this ?

Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 PM

Default Private investment mostly, just get the government out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
"HOW" do you propose we pay for this ?
Many of these things can be paid for through private investment. The bridges, tunnels, power plants and transportation networks can be paid for by investors.
They of course will charge fees for using their services.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:52 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,788 times
Maybe we should fill the LI sound with dirt and build up on it. Housing stock will prolly go down. Plus I'm sure the CT residents that built mansions by the shore wouldn't be to happy about it. Could be LI's on little BPC.

Haha. Just joking.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Many of these things can be paid for through private investment. The bridges, tunnels, power plants and transportation networks can be paid for by investors.
They of course will charge fees for using their services.

Well, your Man is off to a bad start, on this new economy.

He wants to punish investment, and entrepeneurship.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:08 PM

148 posts, read 556,925 times
Good ideas mostly but I hate the bridges to Connecticut and RI- I dont want people using Long Island highways in their drive North and South. Have you ever been on 95 in Connecticut?? I would rather deal with the stress of going the long way around the few times I leave Long Island. We need less traffic not more.

I do like the Nuclear power plant idea but I think it will never happen--too many people are scared of them.

Also I am not against consolidation of districts but I think especially for schools one for each county is just too big. The reason I live where I live is because of the schools--could have had twice the house in some other districts but schools make the town for me.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Ten ideas to prepare LI for the 21st century.

1. Build new bridges and/or tunnels to Connecticut and even Rhode Island.

2. Build a high speed railway network connecting Long Island to NYC,
and everywhere else in the country.

3. Reopen the Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant.

4. Build another Nuclear power plant on Plum Island.

5. Consolidate L.I.'s 126 school districts into to just two county wide
districts.

6. consolidate all the other service districts into two county districts.

7. replace our regressive property taxes with a progressive income tax.

8. preserve our farmland and even expand agricultural production. Long
Island has some of the best farmland in the country - lets use it wisely.

9. halt mindless sububanization of what is left of L.I.s farmland and natural
areas. Eat local, seasonal, healthy and fresh foods.

10. encourage greater density development in core areas.
Examples: Patchogue, Northport, Babylon, etc... and connect said places
with Maglev trains to the high speed train network.

What do you think...
Aside from the crack pipe on 3 and 4 you have some really great ideas Nbres.(Think Wind/Solar/HydroE)

As for 10 I think the Shoreline downtowns would welcome smart density in a heartbeat if the Middle of the island would shoulder more of the transportation burden.
We need a high speed rail up the middle that connects Riverhead to NYC in 90 Min.
(5 LI Stops Riverhead/Medford/Ronkonkoma/Deer Park/Hicksville/NYC.)

As for two districts....township wide first would most likely be the best bet.

crooks

Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,989 times
After the Shoreham debacle, we'll never see a nuclear power plant on LI, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Not to mention the fact that it's been completely decommissioned and it wouldn't be a case of reopening it--much of it would need to be rebuilt.

High speed rail won't work. The distance between stops is too short; high speed only works for longer stretches. At best you could do something like high speed to Montauk, but who would take it? When it comes to commuter rail we're pretty much using the same technology they are in Europe. High speed is really a city-to-city solution. The problem is the frequent stops and need to slow down going through stations. That said, there could be other improvements made to the LIRR particularly in Suffolk.

We need consolidation of districts but as I've said before I think single-county districts are overambitious and probably unmanageable.

Preserving open space, encouraging higher density development in downtowns, providing housing that's accessible for younger people--all good ideas. We need to get past NIMBYism and the gated McMansion developments.

I think that property tax vs income tax is secondary to the larger issues making the tax burden so high--the proliferation of special districts and the disparities and variations they cause.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
After the Shoreham debacle, we'll never see a nuclear power plant on LI, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Not to mention the fact that it's been completely decommissioned and it wouldn't be a case of reopening it--much of it would need to be rebuilt.
How about a Nuclear Power Plant on Plum island. The island is no longer going to be used to study animal diseases so why not put it to some other "infamous" use.

We need the juice on Long Island and at a reasonable cost. Nuclear power is the best option we have at this point.

Quote:
High speed rail won't work. The distance between stops is too short; high speed only works for longer stretches. At best you could do something like high speed to Montauk, but who would take it? When it comes to commuter rail we're pretty much using the same technology they are in Europe. High speed is really a city-to-city solution. The problem is the frequent stops and need to slow down going through stations. That said, there could be other improvements made to the LIRR particularly in Suffolk.
I was thinking more of a high speed rail system from NYC to all other major cities.

What about Maglev trains?

Maglev trains could fill the gap you speak of. maglev lines could connect the existing LIRR. McArthur airport, and all growth nodules. Maglevs could be on elevated lines using existing roadways as path lines. For example: a maglev line could run from Babylon village up Deer Park Avenue all the way to Northport Village with various stops in between.

Another innovation is to restore the old trolley lines that once existed in both Northport and Babylon for local transport. Except the trolleys would be technologically far ahead of anything used 100 years ago.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM

189 posts, read 632,866 times
my three ideas:
1. Bridge to Connecticut
2. Long Island Income tax to cut Property tax - so young people and seniors can still afford to live here.
3. Meet me at the Lighthouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island