Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 06:44 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I don't see any way this is going forward other than a hybrid option. Some kids are immunocompromised. Some parents are not going to send their kids back at this point. My son does marching band and they usually rehearse three weeks over the summer. So far it's all been remote which of course doesn't translate well. The week of sleepaway camp has already been canceled, and as of now they can't do anything in person because of the size of the group. I see this as a preview into the complications we'll be seeing in September.

A lot of teachers don't want to go back either. My husband's friend just retired- he's in his 50's. He actually hated the distance learning. My son had teachers who thrived with it and others who struggled. Thankfully he's a really smart kid and is in a program with a great group of kids who supports each other. They're already talking about getting together in person on remote days to work together. Other teachers won't go back to the classroom because of health risks.

Bottom line, your situation is not everyone's situation. Your family may be healthy and not concerned with getting sick, or depend on school being open to do your job. Or you may live with a grandparent, or have a sick kid. People need to be kind and realize that families are trying to do the best they can for their kids.

My son is a rising senior and I want him to have an amazing year full of friends and sports and music. He is also doing college apps and I want him to have better access to counselors. I have to accept the fact that this year may not work out as planned. It already sucked for the class of 2020- I feel so badly for all they missed.
My district says they are going to fully open with only high school on a hybrid schedule (A bunch of other districts are doing the same), tentative pending cuomo’s decision of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 08:49 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
/\ I’d expect some variations but one standard LI plan seems to be k-8 attend (w/masks when social distancing is not possible) and 9-12 hybrid (w/masks when social distancing is not possible).
(9-12: In some cases Google Meet camera is turned on for essentially passive home viewing while the other half of the class gets in person teaching...and in some other cases the teacher instructs in an empty classroom on camera on days the entire class is out. As applicable to the particular district’s 9-12 plan.)

While this may horrify the woke-panic (faux or otherwise) crew, this does to be the LI standard now.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:08 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Looks like most schools proposed a split in class schedule such as Srs/Jrs on Monday and Thursday’s. And Sophs/Fresh on Tues and Thursday in school. Weds would be a closed day for deep cleaning all schools. Non classroom days would be that classes online sessions.

Not sure what families will do that have young kids and both parents working?

Old 08-02-2020, 03:14 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
/\ high school kids are too young to stay home alone?

Old 08-02-2020, 04:14 PM

Where do you come up with this stuff at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ high school kids are too young to stay home alone?

Old 08-02-2020, 05:10 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Where do you come up with this stuff at?
My bad. Your post made it sound like you were complaining that high school kids didn’t have a full in class schedule. Didn’t realize the young students was in reference to something else completely different.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:30 PM

874 posts, read 728,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Looks like most schools proposed a split in class schedule such as Srs/Jrs on Monday and Thursday’s. And Sophs/Fresh on Tues and Thursday in school. Weds would be a closed day for deep cleaning all schools. Non classroom days would be that classes online sessions.

Not sure what families will do that have young kids and both parents working?

oh the entire decade is ruined if you have kids.

ruined.

this is the new america, enjoy your new normal.

the second wave will start when school starts

once 1 kid has it they will shut down schools and everything will go remote

Whats it going to take for americans to realize, the america they grew up in, is gone and its never coming back

Old 08-02-2020, 05:49 PM

Interesting read on Sweden and how they didn’t lock down and where they stand today. Again this points to a fast moving virus that has to make its rounds.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-7-1029415101#

Old 08-03-2020, 10:12 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
oh the entire decade is ruined if you have kids.

ruined.

this is the new america, enjoy your new normal.

the second wave will start when school starts

once 1 kid has it they will shut down schools and everything will go remote

Whats it going to take for americans to realize, the america they grew up in, is gone and its never coming back
That's a scary thought. We could have been done with it by now. Instead we are heading towards a dystopia

Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM

I disagree.

Nothing was going to stop the spread of Covid in the US. The only way that was going to happen is if they put a bubble around NYC and didn’t allow anyone in or out for those 3 months. And we all know it can’t be achieved in a city like that. As for now Covid is making its rounds and is onto the mid west now. Life must go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
That's a scary thought. We could have been done with it by now. Instead we are heading towards a dystopia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island