Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 07:02 AM

84 posts, read 229,552 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been living in the ToNH for 7 years. My house has a sloped backyard. I've been wanting to level it and put in a patio, which requires a 2 feet retaining wall. My landscaper told me permits are not required for pavers. I've also read multiple threads here that any structure less than 4 feet, a permit is not required as they do not post any danger. The work of retaining started and the landscaper moved super fast to dig and pour cement after 1.5 day.

However, when I just called the Building Department, the person I spoke to basically said everything requires a permit. I am considering stopping the patio work altogether.

ToNH is so strict. What would you do if you were me?
1) Finish the retaining wall but not the patio?
2) Dont build the Patio?
3) Continue with the project?

Will I ever to make my home my dream home so I can enjoy???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 07:11 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Sometimes it’s easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. If I recall correctly, you haven’t had the best of luck with your contractor over the years.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:24 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
IF you approach this logically there would be no question that you need a permit for a retaining wall. You are essentially trying to shore up a portion of your property with a wall. In the process of doing that, if done correctly, you will excavate to some degree the area where the wall will be. That can impact the neighbors property and yours, in terms of slides and drainage. The last thing you want is a neighbor to have a problem after you are done without benefit of a permit. SYOP what you are doing and get the permit. TNH can be unrelentless with this stuff.

How the pavers are going to set is what will determine if a permit is necessary or not. Concrete? then yes, a permit is required. Gravel and sand, permit not necessary. BE advised that they will return to inspect the wall before giving you a CoC, so if you are having the work done, don't think you will get a concrete patio by them, if they are done at the same time. They will come with a rod and slip it between the pavers and if it hits concrete, you will need to pay penalties for failure to obtain a permit.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 AM

Hi Long Isle, Good to hear from you again! Good memory! After that incident with my friend's husband as my contractor, I found a very good one i've been using over the years. I hope he never retires.

Are you suggesting that I should deal it it later when I sell?

Old 07-27-2020, 07:26 AM

IF you approach this logically there would be no question that you need a permit for a retaining wall. You are essentially trying to shore up a portion of your property with a wall. In the process of doing that, if done correctly, you will excavate to some degree the area where the wall will be. That can impact the neighbors property and yours, in terms of slides and drainage. The last thing you want is a neighbor to have a problem after you are done without benefit of a permit. STOP what you are doing and get the permit. TNH can be unrelentless with this stuff.

How the pavers are going to set is what will determine if a permit is necessary or not. Concrete? then yes, a permit is required. Gravel and sand, permit not necessary. BE advised that they will return to inspect the wall before giving you a CoC, so if you are having the work done, don't think you will get a concrete patio by them, if they are done at the same time. They will come with a rod and slip it between the pavers and if it hits concrete, you will need to pay penalties for failure to obtain a permit.

In other words, you have three options,

Get it all under one permit (Cheaper)
Get retaining wall done with permit and then set pavers in sand
Don't get it done at all

Edited to state there is a 4th option of doing it all without benefit of a permit, but I touched on that above.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 07-27-2020 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: stated

Old 07-27-2020, 07:38 AM

Hi nuts2uiam, good to hear from you again! Good point about the neighbors. My yard is across 5 different neighbors because my lot is big. The existing retaining walls are built sloppily across five different people as their properties are lower than mine and they are responsible for the walls. I have one wall that's 2 feet shorter than the other one, one has rotten wood - hence my slopped yard. Sigh. The retaining wall is all within my property line and about 4 feet away from the retaining wall the neighbors built and the property line. I would think the wall will help my neighbor as I will keep some water away?

I read the thread where you commented about the paver patio a couple years ago and that's why I planned to do it. However, the guy at the building department said EVERYTHING regardless of how it's done requires a permit. That's why I was so frustrated.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang427 View Post
Hi nuts2uiam, good to hear from you again! Good point about the neighbors. My yard is across 5 different neighbors because my lot is big. The existing retaining walls are built sloppily across five different people as their properties are lower than mine and they are responsible for the walls. I have one wall that's 2 feet shorter than the other one, one has rotten wood - hence my slopped yard. Sigh. The retaining wall is all within my property line and about 4 feet away from the retaining wall the neighbors built and the property line. I would think the wall will help my neighbor as I will keep some water away?

I read the thread where you commented about the paver patio a couple years ago and that's why I planned to do it. However, the guy at the building department said EVERYTHING regardless of how it's done requires a permit. That's why I was so frustrated.
Do not THINK. You currently have a decrepit wall that is, at the very least, not allowing for water to impact the neighbors. You will be disturbing soil, maybe tree roots etc, and possibly could impact them. I am telling you that this is a fools errand if you continue. Hope you have good insurance.

Call any paver installer and tell them you are in TNH and are thinking of putting a patio and ask if you need a permit if in gravel and sand. Unless they have changed the rules, which is possible, the answer is no.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
“everything requires a permit”

This is always the standard town answer.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:15 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyang427 View Post
Hi Long Isle, Good to hear from you again! Good memory! After that incident with my friend's husband as my contractor, I found a very good one i've been using over the years. I hope he never retires.

Are you suggesting that I should deal it it later when I sell?
At this point I would plead ignorance and finish the project ASAP. You needed to get plans before you started any of this. Hopefully ToNH doesn’t pick it up, you get 20-30 years of fun and worry about it when you sell. Good luck!!

Old 07-27-2020, 02:02 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
There's a decrepit wall already there? You're making a repair. That would be my story and I'd stick to it.

But if your neighbors end up with drainage issues, expect the town to come for you.

A retaining wall ON your property (not the border) should not cause issues when you sell.

In most jursidictions you only need a permit for a patio or deck more than 8 inches off the ground.

Last edited by twingles; 07-27-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: