Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 03:16 PM

5,055 posts, read 3,956,447 times

Advertisements

Because the combined death number over the last two weeks is now so low (5) from Nassau and Suffolk Counties (combined population of 2,800,000) this info is getting hard to find. https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...n-long-island/
Attached Thumbnails
Only FIVE Covid-19 Deaths on LI Last 15 Days (JUL 14-21)-covid-deaths.jpg  

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 07-22-2020 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 03:25 PM

/\ Just to add to my own post, approx. 60 folks per day die in Nassau/Suffolk so during the last 15 days approx. 900 people have died on Long Island and 5 of them with Covid-19. So, let's keep things in perspective around here.

(FWIW, 0 deaths with Covid-19 in NYC today)

Old 07-22-2020, 03:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Great news!

I wonder when this is all said and done it will be one of those cases where it just runs it’s course and it moves on? It’s kind of looking that way from the southern states.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:20 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Im glad our numbers are good but the rest of the country is f’ing this up for us. We’re still on the world’s sh*tlist

Old 07-23-2020, 05:29 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Cuomo> Newsome>>>>>>GOP governors!!

Old 07-23-2020, 06:03 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Great news!

I wonder when this is all said and done it will be one of those cases where it just runs it’s course and it moves on? It’s kind of looking that way from the southern states.

yes..... this.....

Old 07-23-2020, 06:04 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Cuomo> Newsome>>>>>>GOP governors!!

Said no one ever.....

Cuomo sent thousands of nursing home residents a death sentence.....

Old 07-23-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Great news!

Agreed.

I'm not a scientist but I think our infected/recovered numbers are so high in the NYC area that the virus now spreads very inefficiently. Not precisely 'herd immunity' wherein almost nobody gets the virus but something in that direction where it really really slows down. (High infected/recovered numbers + masking/handwashing/distancing = very inefficient spread)

Other parts of the country were not infected (till the last four weeks at least) at nearly our rate and so the disease still spreads very quickly out there (CA, TX, FL, etc.) at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if the largest metro areas in those other states approach NYC area's high infected/recovered rates before slowing down - although testing (virus and antibody) complications will obscure that until a later date.

The later-infected states, even much larger ones such as TX and CA, should do a much better job on the all-important death numbers than we did.

(Note: There are several different factors that might contribute to inefficient spread.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 07-23-2020 at 06:24 AM..

Old 07-23-2020, 06:32 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Agreed.

I'm not a scientist but I think our infected/recovered numbers are so high in the NYC area that the virus now spreads very inefficiently. Not precisely 'herd immunity' wherein almost nobody gets the virus but something in that direction where it really really slows down. (High infected/recovered numbers + masking/handwashing/distancing = very inefficient spread)

Other parts of the country were not infected (till the last four weeks at least) at nearly our rate and so the disease still spreads very quickly out there (CA, TX, FL, etc.) at this point. Wouldn't surprise me if the largest metro areas in those other states approach NYC area's high infected/recovered rates before slowing down - although testing (virus and antibody) complications will obscure that until a later date.

The later-infected states, even much larger ones such as TX and CA, should do a much better job on the all-important death numbers than we did.

(Note: There are several different factors that might contribute to inefficient spread.)
Immunity hasnt been proven though. Ppl can get it more than once

Old 07-23-2020, 06:54 AM

99 posts, read 54,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Immunity hasnt been proven though. Ppl can get it more than once
Immunity has definitely been proven. The length of time you are immune is still up in the air but you definitely develop an immunity to it with neutralizing antibodies and killer T cells.

Regarding people getting it more than once, there have been very few suspected instances of this and it is totally unproven. You really shouldn't be saying its possible as its not grounded in science or fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: