U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 5,081 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,
My wife and I are looking to move from Queens to Long Island.
We are an African American couple in our mid 30s with a daughter in middle school and a two year old. We potentially were looking in Lynbrook hoping not to have a far commute to NYC.

Now with work commutes changing we were thinking of going further out East.

She fell in love with the Merrick Woods area driving around and the good school district.
We're looking for a somewhat diverse school district but afraid we wont get that in Merrick.

Any thoughts on Merrick Woods for an African American couple and comfort level.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 03:21 PM

143 posts, read 50,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promise718 View Post
Hey Guys,
My wife and I are looking to move from Queens to Long Island.
We are an African American couple in our mid 30s with a daughter in middle school and a two year old. We potentially were looking in Lynbrook hoping not to have a far commute to NYC.

Now with work commutes changing we were thinking of going further out East.

She fell in love with the Merrick Woods area driving around and the good school district.
We're looking for a somewhat diverse school district but afraid we wont get that in Merrick.

Any thoughts on Merrick Woods for an African American couple and comfort level.
Spend some time walking around the neighborhood in Merrick Woods and Merrick more generally and get a sense of how the neighbors perceive you and your wife.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 PM

141 posts, read 202,963 times
I moved to Merrick Woods from Jackson Heights. There are quite a few families on my block that have moved here from Astoria, Woodside and other parts of Queens.

While there is a lack of diversity in Merrick, I know my family (as well as others) would welcome it in all forms (race, religions, sexual orientation, etc.). Without diversity it all gets a bit stale.

Best of luck on your search!

Old 07-29-2020, 06:27 AM

We were set on Valley Stream last winter but lost out on a number of bids - Two cash offers and even one buyer promising no inspection. The market in VS right now is insane. We wanted to be close to the city but figured now lets go a little further out and get a little more space for 600k

Thanks! I'll check into West Hempstead, not familiar at all with the area.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
I moved to Merrick Woods from Jackson Heights. There are quite a few families on my block that have moved here from Astoria, Woodside and other parts of Queens.

While there is a lack of diversity in Merrick, I know my family (as well as others) would welcome it in all forms (race, religions, sexual orientation, etc.). Without diversity it all gets a bit stale.

Best of luck on your search!

Thank you for your message.

We did see a few lawn signs promoting equality, I'm guessing because of the protests that took place in Merrick.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:34 AM

774 posts, read 1,224,380 times
There are African-American families in both towns. I think either area would be fine. Personally, I like Lynbrook better. It has a nicer downtown area and the village is taken care of much better (roads, grass, public areas).

Old 07-29-2020, 08:25 AM

25,508 posts, read 38,940,896 times
I am not familiar with Merrick Woods but Lynbrook is very nice. Nice-looking homes and you're not allowed to park on the street overnight. The further away from Peninsula Boulevard, the better IMO. I wouldn't want to live too close to a main street like that. I personally like the area of Lynbrook where the streets have British names.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-29-2020, 11:21 AM

65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
Another school district that also comes to mind is the Malverne SD, just south of West Hempstead.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:39 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,439,835 times
Lynbrook’s village tax and older construction are both positives and negatives depending on your financial standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island