Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 09:20 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
The N.C. Department of Public Safety reported more than 368,000 customers were without power across four utility systems in North Carolina as of 7:50 a.m. Tuesday. That included more than 192,000 Duke Energy customers, including 6,639 customers in Wake County.

Is that PSEG’s fault too?? This thread is ridiculous. Storms knock out power. Everywhere. Yes even in expat utopias. Power is out in areas all up the east coast. Is is hardly a “Long Island” issue. Speaking of which, didn’t you move??
Why are you dragging NC into this??? The storm made landfall here by they way....demolishing some coastal areas and spawning a deadly tornado in a very poor part of the state. And the poster you're challenging doesn't live in NC. Neither he nor anyone else claimed a "utopia" in this thread. Methinks you doth protest too much.

Ironcally the same number of people that are without power in NC are without power in Nassau County (NC), NY.

By the way we're down to 5 without power in Wake County tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 09:33 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Why are you dragging NC into this??? The storm made landfall here by they way....demolishing some coastal areas and spawning a deadly tornado in a very poor part of the state. And the poster you're challenging doesn't live in NC. Neither he nor anyone else claimed a "utopia" in this thread. Methinks you doth protest too much.

Ironcally the same number of people that are without power in NC are without power in Nassau County (NC), NY.

By the way we're down to 5 without power in Wake County tonight.
Same reason an expat who Dosent even live here is bringing LI into this. I can bring in examples from NJ Maryland and VA with widespread outages at one point if it will make you feel better. FYI the storm made landfall in SC not NC. BTW Check Your numbers we are already down to 8000 active outages island wide And we just got hit a few hours ago the 300k figure was island wide Nassau never had that many outages. Again a ridiculous thread

Last edited by peconic117; 08-04-2020 at 09:46 PM..

Old 08-04-2020, 09:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Stop being jealous.
Wait? Aren't you a republican? Ha. You want to destroy unions for other people but your union is jusssssst fine huh?

Old 08-05-2020, 04:45 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
The N.C. Department of Public Safety reported more than 368,000 customers were without power across four utility systems in North Carolina as of 7:50 a.m. Tuesday. That included more than 192,000 Duke Energy customers, including 6,639 customers in Wake County.

Is that PSEG’s fault too?? This thread is ridiculous. Storms knock out power. Everywhere. Yes even in expat utopias. Power is out in areas all up the east coast. Is is hardly a “Long Island” issue. Speaking of which, didn’t you move??
I agree. This storm had HURRICANE force gusts. over 80 mph. Have people actually ventured out? There's trees down EVERYWHERE. This storm compares to Sandy, except for the flooding. The whole east coast got hammered, and lost power.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 AM

5 posts, read 3,036 times
I got my Power back. It was out about 13 hours

Old 08-05-2020, 05:14 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Same reason an expat who Dosent even live here is bringing LI into this. I can bring in examples from NJ Maryland and VA with widespread outages at one point if it will make you feel better. FYI the storm made landfall in SC not NC. BTW Check Your numbers we are already down to 8000 active outages island wide And we just got hit a few hours ago the 300k figure was island wide Nassau never had that many outages. Again a ridiculous thread
The storm made landfall in Ocean Isle Beach which is in North Carolina. THAT is easily verified by any news outlet in this country. But here it is straight from the NHC. BTW “landfall” means where the eye comes ashore, not where reporters station themselves or it’s just real windy

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/202...8040316.shtml?

This isn’t about my feelings. It’s a stupid thread - as if any place that has a hurricane or tropical storm isn’t going to have a power outage for God’s sake - but you can go after HIS location if you just can’t ignore the post.

Last edited by twingles; 08-05-2020 at 05:22 AM..

Old 08-05-2020, 06:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:

I did move, but family is on LI and, not surprisingly, is without power. Restoration might take a couple of days.

The issue isn’t a power outage. It’s that the grid is so fragile that a tropical storm takes out 30% of customers due to thousands of individual outages. LI is like Puerto Rico that way.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

This isn’t about my feelings. It’s a stupid thread - as if any place that has a hurricane or tropical storm isn’t going to have a power outage for God’s sake - but you can go after HIS location if you just can’t ignore the post.
Power outages, yes. But anyone denying all the press that NY and PSEGLI put out about “strengthening the grid” and the money and effort spent cutting trees and “making improvements” post Sandy - to result in 30% of its customers losing power - is smoking something.

As another poster mentioned, imagine if a real hurricane came through.

And now the witch hunt begins too.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ias-1.47768407

Old 08-05-2020, 06:54 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Power outages, yes. But anyone denying all the press that NY and PSEGLI put out about “strengthening the grid” and the money and effort spent cutting trees and “making improvements” post Sandy - to result in 30% of its customers losing power - is smoking something.

As another poster mentioned, imagine if a real hurricane came through.

And now the witch hunt begins too.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ias-1.47768407
Uhh real hurricanes have come through LI. Several in fact. Guess what we survived and power was restored. Shocking I know.

When I lived in FL the state was hit with several hurricanes in 2004 power in my area in some neighborhoods were out For weeks even with the “newer” grid and underground lines in our neighborhood. It’s no guarantee of anything. I’ll never forget that summer because of how brutally hot it was and not having AC for over a week

Old 08-05-2020, 07:35 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Uhh real hurricanes have come through LI. Several in fact. Guess what we survived and power was restored. Shocking I know.

When I lived in FL the state was hit with several hurricanes in 2004 power in my area in some neighborhoods were out For weeks even with the “newer” grid and underground lines in our neighborhood. It’s no guarantee of anything. I’ll never forget that summer because of how brutally hot it was and not having AC for over a week
Your arguing with idiots. Don't waste your breath. The whole east coast has lost 30 to 50% of power. Even areas that are non union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island