Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you sending your kids back to school?
Yes 38 61.29%
No 17 27.42%
Still on the fence 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 09:16 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
No she doesn't go to parties, play sports or hang out with friends. She has been keeping busy in the yard and house.
Your Mean! JK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 09:17 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Day camp seems to be fine though. I guess because it’s paid for out of pocket.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:05 AM

913 posts, read 885,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
/\ 2nd semester is smack dab during flu season which we know (if one trusts data and science) is more deadly than Covid for kids. Plus, of course, kids can pass the flu to elderly and other vulnerable folks. Doesn’t that mean out all year for some LI folks (if they are being consistent)?
We take a flu vaccine yearly, so not worried at all. As a matter of fact, she has never had the flu. But of course you know that there exists vaccines for the flu. Covid killed this many with masks, social distancing and lockdowns so no real comparison and no vaccine for it. I don't think you should worry about my decisions as they don't affect you. I am very confident with my parenting skills having already raised 2 very successful sons who are kind and compassionate as well.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:37 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
/\Flu vaccine is thoroughly ineffective some years when the strains don’t match and up to 50 percent effective when it actually does.

Last year was a pretty good one for the flu vaccine:

“The US Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Network collected information on 4,112 children and adults from Oct. 23, 2019, through Jan. 25, 2020 who had contracted the flu and found that the flu vaccine has been 45% effective, overall, so far this flu season.

This year's flu vaccine is designed to protect against multiple viral strains of both flu type A H1N1 and flu type B/Victoria.

When you break that down into how effective the flu vaccine was against each type, the CDC reported that it was 50% effective against type B and 37% effective against type A, which is usually the more common strain that infects most people each flu season.”

https://www.insider.com/how-effective-is-the-flu-shot

The flu sweeps thru schools (notwithstanding vaccines) and kills tens of thousands (including kids) each year in the US. And is more deadly to kids than Covid-19.

I don’t know how many school-age Long Islanders have died in the last two months of Covid. Any? I think 3 total LIers have died this month with Covid (and 1800 from other causes).

I guess if you believe an eventual and 100% effective Covid-19 vaccine is the trigger for a safe return to school you can wait on that.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 08-10-2020 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-10-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
/\Flu vaccine is thoroughly ineffective some years when the strains don’t match and up to 50 percent effective when it actually does.
The flu sweeps thru schools (notwithstanding vaccines) and kills tens of thousands (including kids) each year.

I guess if you believe an eventual and 100% effective Covid-19 vaccine is the trigger for a safe return to school you can wait on that.
We must be doing something right, 15 years old and never had the flu! I wonder how many kids who die of the flu have parents who "don't believe in vaccinations". I am willing to bet they make up the majority if not all. I will make the decision when it's safe for my child to return to school in person based on information available to me. I will never be swayed by the ill informed, people with political agendas or antivaxers.

Here is an article describing exactly what I was saying. Not surprisingly, when the number of people getting the flu vaccine goes down, the number of flu sickness, death and hospitalizations go up. Not rocket science here.

https://www.wired.com/story/flu-shot...-storytelling/

Last edited by lauradrops; 08-10-2020 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-10-2020, 12:08 PM

Don’t think this fellow (whom you may have heard of) was talking mismatches relative to anti-vaxers:

“ January 15, 2020: Influenza is still going strong in the United States and isn't expected to slow down for at least several more weeks, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

What's more, this season's vaccine is only a 58% match for B/Victoria, the strain that is hitting children especially hard.
"It's not a very good match for B/Victoria," Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN. "It's not an awful match, but it's not a very good match."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/923851

Old 08-10-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Don’t think this fellow (whom you may have heard of) was talking mismatches relative to anti-vaxers:

“ January 15, 2020: Influenza is still going strong in the United States and isn't expected to slow down for at least several more weeks, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

What's more, this season's vaccine is only a 58% match for B/Victoria, the strain that is hitting children especially hard.
"It's not a very good match for B/Victoria," Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CNN. "It's not an awful match, but it's not a very good match."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/923851
Also an article quoting Fauci.

"That really tells you that we could have cut those deaths significantly if more of those kids had been vaccinated," said Anthony Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which is part of the NIH.

https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/n...not-vaccinated

Here is another quote from an article-

Those numbers included 180 children. “The majority of them were unvaccinated,” Adams said. “It’s healthy kids out there that are dying from the flu.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...deaths-n914246

Not my job to make you understand. If you don't believe the flu vaccine is effective enough to matter then that's your business. Like I said, I will decide what is good for my family based on the information available to me and discussions with our physicians. You can do it how ever you like.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:28 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post

Not my job to make you understand. If you don't believe the flu vaccine is effective enough to matter then that's your business. Like I said, I will decide what is good for my family based on the information available to me and discussions with our physicians. You can do it how ever you like.
I agree w/ you on most points but I do feel you oversell the Flu vaccine a bit. It's known there are multiple strains of flu yet the vaccines target 3 strains only each year (2 A's and a B). There is no real efficacy ratings for this reason. The just say "it's generally better to get it than not" and "it reduces flu by 40-60% of the gen pop" (not substantiated) or "it lessens the severity" (also unsubstantiated). Still a good thing, but hardly a ringing endorsement for a vaccine as the answer to flu or covid. Which is really the point...flu and covid are more or less UNRELATED as health crises. But small redundant minds will always bring it back to that straw argument...in every thread apparently.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I agree w/ you on most points but I do feel you oversell the Flu vaccine a bit. It's known there are multiple strains of flu yet the vaccines target 3 strains only each year (2 A's and a B). There is no real efficacy ratings for this reason. The just say "it's generally better to get it than not" and "it reduces flu by 40-60% of the gen pop" (not substantiated) or "it lessens the severity" (also unsubstantiated). Still a good thing, but hardly a ringing endorsement for a vaccine as the answer to flu or covid. Which is really the point...flu and covid are more or less UNRELATED as health crises. But small redundant minds will always bring it back to that straw argument...in every thread apparently.
I don't think I am selling anything, I just say I believe it is better to have the vaccine than not to have it.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Anybody waiting for a 100% effective COvid-19 vaccine prior to sending their kids back to school is in for a very long wait:

Scientists are hoping for a coronavirus vaccine that is at least 75% effective, but 50% or 60% effective would be acceptable, too, Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during a Q&A with the Brown University School of Public Health. “The chances of it being 98% effective is not great, which means you must never abandon the public health approach.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/coro...not-great.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island