Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 12:04 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If someone lists their house for $700K but the Zestimate for the past year was $550K you’ll see it jump up immediately. I’ve also seen homes in the same neighborhood get radically different Zestimates based upon trends when it last sold. Their algorithm can’t factor in condition or quality of finishes.
Some of these listing prices are aspirational, to say the least. I saw one in my city this morning overpriced by about 2/3. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'll have what they're having.

Zillow's zestimate shows prospective buyer the pricing range for the target house, which is useful and informative.

According to Zillow, the house I'm living in now has increased in value over $25K since I bought it, which is a lot considering the purchase price. They apparently used the price I paid as a baseline, and upped the value based on a vigorous local market. I have no idea if this is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 06:02 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Some of these listing prices are aspirational, to say the least. I saw one in my city this morning overpriced by about 2/3. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I'll have what they're having.

Zillow's zestimate shows prospective buyer the pricing range for the target house, which is useful and informative.

According to Zillow, the house I'm living in now has increased in value over $25K since I bought it, which is a lot considering the purchase price. They apparently used the price I paid as a baseline, and upped the value based on a vigorous local market. I have no idea if this is accurate.
Both comments explain why I stated that Zillow is the least reliable of these sites.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:24 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Zillow estimate is just some computer algorithm. It doesn't mean anything.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:34 PM

184 posts, read 227,864 times
I find Redfin more accurate

Old 10-03-2020, 01:40 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
I like Trulia

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-04-2020, 03:15 PM

15 posts, read 10,004 times
Apologies if this has been asked already:

- With the housing market on fire lately, are property taxes naturally going to rise? For example, if my home is currently assessed at 700K for tax purposes and now similar homes in the neighborhood are selling for 800-900K, am I hosed next time there is a re-assessment?
- related, if I buy a house with property taxes assessed at 700k for 800-900k, will my taxes automatically go up after I purchase or the next time taxes are re-assessed?

Old 10-04-2020, 08:14 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portfolio123 View Post
Apologies if this has been asked already:

- With the housing market on fire lately, are property taxes naturally going to rise? For example, if my home is currently assessed at 700K for tax purposes and now similar homes in the neighborhood are selling for 800-900K, am I hosed next time there is a re-assessment?
- related, if I buy a house with property taxes assessed at 700k for 800-900k, will my taxes automatically go up after I purchase or the next time taxes are re-assessed?

Currently, on Long Island, there is no reassessment upon sale of real property.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:17 PM

15 posts, read 10,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thanks. On the other end of the spectrum, can someone try to grieve their taxes (and be successful) if they bought their house below the assessed value?

Old 10-04-2020, 09:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
With the reassement in Nassau. All homes are being reassessed at market value and that is the sale price. It’s a 5 year phase in. It will take 5-6 years for it all to even out. You can see the tpp reports on the Nassau site. My old house that sold in 2018 is now assessed 5k more than the purchase price. Taxes are going to 16k in 5 years not counting any additional yearly hikes it was in low 12s when we sold. My 2 neighbors on are assessed 40k and 60k less. The 60k one has a smaller lot. These homes haven’t been sold in 15 and 35 years.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portfolio123 View Post
Thanks. On the other end of the spectrum, can someone try to grieve their taxes (and be successful) if they bought their house below the assessed value?

You can grieve any time, as long as it's your primary residence and you fall within the now established income limits (see NYS website). Your success partially depends on how well you or the grievance company present your case. The company I have used personally has done an exceptional job not only for me, but also for my daughter, as well as some of my clients. But there are never any guarantees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island