Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 07:16 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Wow, private schools run better than public schools?! No way?! What a shocker. I bet NASCAR runs better than the DMV too. Different rules. Different laws. Public schools are under legal requirement to provide every breathing human an educaion at any income level, health issue, stupidity, behavioral issues, homeless, non english speaking, etc. Parochials, if the check bounces they can tell you to go pound sand and they can choose to not accept your kid at all. They do not have to meet the state mandates on dozens of issues the publics do. Not really a reasoned analogy.

I think they were referring more to spending and budgeting properly. I mean, you can raise tuition and fundraise, but you can't just pass a budget every year and make everyone play by your rules. Private school tuition would be $50K a year if they spent like public schools in NY. Other than that, I agree with you. Comparing private and public schools is ridiculous for the reasons you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 08:57 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Understand what you're saying, but I'm not exactly sure what side of the fence you're on. The way I see it, and have experienced it, the private and parochial schools have to be more careful and creative, on how they spend their money. Why? Because they don't have the ability to spend lavishly, and then simply send the taxpayers the bill. The Catholic school that is part of the parish I belong to, is indirectly a beneficiary of the public schools' reckless spending, as it sometimes receives "hand-me-down" equipment from the public school.

How does that happen? Because one of the people who works for the school district is also a parish member, and when the public school is tossing 2-300 chairs, because some newly enacted "standard" deems them unusable (even though they are still in very good condition), this man will stop by the Catholic school, on his way to the dump, to see if they could be used there. And generally, for example, maybe 40-50 of them are accepted, and put into service.

We all know that heat rises, based on the education we received in high school physics. We also know that the climate in the northeast is cold in the winter. That's why most of the private/parochial schools in that region are two story, because they're easier to heat. The cost of heat is reflected in the operating cost of the school. Those buildings are usually older, too, again because the school has to justify the expense of replacing a building, "just because". The public schools are generally newer, and sprawling, one floor affairs. Why? Because the public WILL foot the bill, like it or not, efficient or not.........
Respectfully many holes in this feel good story. Schools have to bid out obsolete goods and other municipal entities or ANY bidder can buy the items first. The idea of public goods getting "donated" to a private school is kind of absurd around here unless the chair is so obsolete no one would let their kid sit in it. My district obsoletes stuff right into the dumpster or salvage because we squeeze every drop of use out of everything. I can tell you Chaminade ISN'T doing that. They buy really nice stuff. If other diocese are broke, well, fighting trillion dollar lawsuits for sexual abuse is expensive and isn't the taxpayer's fault.

Once again, the increase in public school costs is NOT program related. It is annual, contractually mandated raises and pension obligations for the teachers. Period.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Understand what you're saying, but I'm not exactly sure what side of the fence you're on. The way I see it, and have experienced it, the private and parochial schools have to be more careful and creative, on how they spend their money. Why? Because they don't have the ability to spend lavishly, and then simply send the taxpayers the bill. The Catholic school that is part of the parish I belong to, is indirectly a beneficiary of the public schools' reckless spending, as it sometimes receives "hand-me-down" equipment from the public school.

How does that happen? Because one of the people who works for the school district is also a parish member, and when the public school is tossing 2-300 chairs, because some newly enacted "standard" deems them unusable (even though they are still in very good condition), this man will stop by the Catholic school, on his way to the dump, to see if they could be used there. And generally, for example, maybe 40-50 of them are accepted, and put into service.

We all know that heat rises, based on the education we received in high school physics. We also know that the climate in the northeast is cold in the winter. That's why most of the private/parochial schools in that region are two story, because they're easier to heat. The cost of heat is reflected in the operating cost of the school. Those buildings are usually older, too, again because the school has to justify the expense of replacing a building, "just because". The public schools are generally newer, and sprawling, one floor affairs. Why? Because the public WILL foot the bill, like it or not, efficient or not.........
1000% behind everything you said. Public means disposable for no good reason. My former district is replacing cabinets in music and art rooms that are 10 years old. My mom had kitchen cabinets that got moved to the basement and they were 57 years old when we sold the house and used and were fine.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:17 PM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
1000% behind everything you said. Public means disposable for no good reason. My former district is replacing cabinets in music and art rooms that are 10 years old. My mom had kitchen cabinets that got moved to the basement and they were 57 years old when we sold the house and used and were fine.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Invite the 3rd graders over your mom's house for a few days and see how the cabinets hold up.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Invite the 3rd graders over your mom's house for a few days and see how the cabinets hold up.
Teach those 3rd graders how to behave, and respect other's property, then see how long those cabinets hold up...........

Old 08-27-2020, 05:18 PM

731 posts, read 724,908 times
Quote:
Teach those 3rd graders how to behave, and respect other's property, then see how long those cabinets hold up...........
Respect should be taught by the parents not the teachers. Oh wait...silly me...mommy and daddy are too busy playing with their iPhones, surfing Facebook for old girlfriends, watching Real Housewives of Detroit and popping Xanax.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Sorry, when we were 3rd graders we broke and ruined things too. That's called life. You can't fix everything with a belt.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry, when we were 3rd graders we broke and ruined things too. That's called life. You can't fix everything with a belt.
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I said TEACH your children, not BEAT you children. There's a tremendous difference!

Old 08-28-2020, 08:03 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
I disagree. Thats why kids/young adults today are entitled brats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island