Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 04:04 AM

12 posts, read 20,824 times

Advertisements

This has been very helpful thus far, thanks everyone. We’ll spend some more time in the area over the weekend (neighborhood parks etc.). We prefer Manhasset and Great Neck North over Port Wash as the commute is a tad more convenient and the schools seem better. The main question we have to answer now is whether Great Neck North ends up a ‘No’ for us or not. From what we’ve heard the area has become more conservative/religious, we are not as worried about the current state but more if it accelerates. Supposedly an attempt to raise funds for improvements in the public schools had been voted down some time ago which is worrisome having young kids and if we invest a large sum in property, given the strong schools are one of the key selling points for potential buyers. Now the issue with Manhasset is that there is little property on the market..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 05:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how many want to do it is irrelevant ..all that matters is I would have liked to be able to do it
it's about as relevant to this thread as your favorite type of soup. Why not add that to the tread as well?

Old 08-21-2020, 06:09 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
it's about as relevant to this thread as your favorite type of soup. Why not add that to the tread as well?
actually you commenting on the fact no one is interested in going east from this area is about as useful as soup. there are a lot more than you think who wish there was east end access on the port wash line.

like buying a mattress ... you don't notice the fact they are on sale every day until you need one .

people don't usually move to our area focused on the fact there is no east end access without wasting a lot of time until the need arises or the want .

so it is an important thought for those who are looking to move to these areas .

while one may not have a need presently that can change . i had no need or desire 20 years ago when i moved here . but today diabetic nerve damage in my toes makes hours of driving in traffic tough .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-21-2020 at 06:27 AM..

Old 08-21-2020, 10:22 AM

hey guys please

Old 08-21-2020, 11:51 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
actually you commenting on the fact no one is interested in going east from this area is about as useful as soup. there are a lot more than you think who wish there was east end access on the port wash line.

like buying a mattress ... you don't notice the fact they are on sale every day until you need one .

people don't usually move to our area focused on the fact there is no east end access without wasting a lot of time until the need arises or the want .

so it is an important thought for those who are looking to move to these areas .

while one may not have a need presently that can change . i had no need or desire 20 years ago when i moved here . but today diabetic nerve damage in my toes makes hours of driving in traffic tough .
all of your toes or just a few of them? I'm sure the OP is dying to know!

Old 08-21-2020, 06:37 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times
Why not Garden City?

Old 08-21-2020, 06:39 PM

We haven’t looked at it much, the commute on Port Wash line seems a bit better, schools a bit better and some selling factor of being at the shore...

Old 08-22-2020, 01:28 AM

565 posts, read 361,748 times
I live in Whitestone but work doing Uber Eats and Doordash in all 3 areas (GN, Manhas and PW). For me personally, I absolutely love some of the lovely brick homes and small streets in Manhasset. I kind of see PW as a bit less upscale, and like you said, I was quite surprised to see how "ethnic" GN really is. And I'm an Irish ethnic, so not being offensive. I actually get a lot of dirty looks when I deliver to some of their homes when I pull up. It's as if I'm in Amish land in PA all of a sudden. Here is this "modern American" in our neighborhood. Very weird vibe in GN!

If you got the money, go for Manhasset.

And PS to all of you hung up on which school is this or that or whatever! I spent 25 years as a corporate hack in Manhattan, hiring and firing all the time. Your kid can do everything perfect their entire life in school, then graduate and show up the day of an interview and look like crap or have had a bad night's sleep and NOT GET THE JOB!!!. Don't stress about their schooling. The real world is a people business.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:00 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
I live in Whitestone but work doing Uber Eats and Doordash in all 3 areas (GN, Manhas and PW). For me personally, I absolutely love some of the lovely brick homes and small streets in Manhasset. I kind of see PW as a bit less upscale, and like you said, I was quite surprised to see how "ethnic" GN really is. And I'm an Irish ethnic, so not being offensive. I actually get a lot of dirty looks when I deliver to some of their homes when I pull up. It's as if I'm in Amish land in PA all of a sudden. Here is this "modern American" in our neighborhood. Very weird vibe in GN!

If you got the money, go for Manhasset.

And PS to all of you hung up on which school is this or that or whatever! I spent 25 years as a corporate hack in Manhattan, hiring and firing all the time. Your kid can do everything perfect their entire life in school, then graduate and show up the day of an interview and look like crap or have had a bad night's sleep and NOT GET THE JOB!!!. Don't stress about their schooling. The real world is a people business.
The dirty looks are probably for the neighbors rather than you because they ordered food from places that they are not supposed to order from.

Old 08-22-2020, 01:49 PM

73 posts, read 90,012 times
If you're looking in those areas, firstly - I'm guessing you're quite wealthy, or if not, you both make 150K+ salaries. If that's part of it, each area is a pretty good choice if you're looking for that high-living type of life.

Manhasset school district is good but lots of very spoiled kids go there. There's a very strong caste system in it. Teachers are practically bullied by students quite often. I have a friend who was a former math teacher in Manhasset, who left teaching entirely because of how disgusted he was in regards to how the kids behaved and how the district allowed it to happen. Administration basically told him to let them do whatever they want and not rock the boat because their family's money was important to the school. Keep that in mind.

You mentioned you were mixed couple Asian/White? So are we. Great Neck would probably be a great place for you if you value having a nearby Asian community, as there are many restaurants and Asian grocery stores in Great Neck and the community is quite large.

Port Washington. If you love being by the water and generally enjoy a "port town" feeling, it's a great place. Be warned - VERY hilly. If we have a bad winter it can be a nightmare. Last stop before you hit Queens/City on the LIRR too so that's a huge plus if you're commuting. Also has a very large Asian community.

With Great Neck and Port Washington you're also very close to Flushing, which has possibly one of the largest East Asian communities in the entire United States.

In any case, you'll probably enjoy living in any of them. Just be warned that Great Neck and especially Manhasset have Queens-level road traffic , and driving through there is incredibly infuriating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island