Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 06:09 AM

78 posts, read 45,741 times

Advertisements

Sofar my annoying neighbor isn't too bad they respect the street spot directly in front of my house but whenever they have guests it's like a free for all. The worst is when it snows and you shoveled out your spot for you, and have to go to work and guess what some POS parks right there when you come home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 06:42 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,966 times
Towns and villages still need to honor the 4th Amendment and can't just force their way into someone's home to inspect, no matter what the accusation. If the police or fire department are inside for some emergency call, they can hold the scene until a town inspector arrives, or alternatively offer sworn affidavit as evidence.

Most municipal code and building officials are complaint-driven. Someone shows up at board meeting saying the whole neighborhood has illegal fences? Well, guess what inspectors will be expected to drop everything to investigate the next day?

Also, issuing a summons to appear in court with no evidence or personal observation of an actual violation? Enjoy an immediate dismissal at best, maybe even a civil rights lawsuit or injunction against ever going to that house again, or even action taken by the state against the inspector's license.

Something else to consider is that town and village officials do not perform evictions. Citing an owner for an apartment puts their feet to the fire, but doesn't negate the requirement for a legal eviction process. With the backlog of evictions we are looking at, I estimate a year at best to vacate someone. Same thing with illegal fences, sheds, etc. Town doesn't remove them, but gives the owner the option to legalize or remove. And if the owner secures a permit, you still get to look at it every day.

Yes, it's sometimes annoying that the process moves slowly, but these are protections we also want when that slumlord decides to turn around and make complaints, however bogus, against us. If you want the problem solved, you don't want QUICK action, you want CORRECT action.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:57 AM

376 posts, read 310,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you were in Queens that’d be a situation. But if there is no parking restriction it’s open for anyone.
I understand I don’t own the street and it’s open for anyone. I have no issues with guests/visitors parking. My issue is some common sense and decency has to be shown. If you have open parking right in front of your house, park in front of your house not someone else’s parking while you leak oil all over the floor with your POS car. I’m wondering if the home owner told him to park in front of my house so that she doesn’t have to look at it and make it seem as if I’m the one renting to him. Who knows.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:18 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwsteg View Post
Now that this topic is being talked about. What does everyone feel about this situation. I have a corner home plus driveway and garage. I don’t use either of my street parking whether side or front. The house right across from me has a younger kid who I think the lady is renting to (May be a family friend). The lady owner parks here car in her driveway and she still has the space which fits 2 cars in front of her house. This younger kid has a habit of parking in front of my house instead of parking in front of his “house”. I don’t understand, I have to look out the window to see a POS car while his residence has empty parking spaces. Makes no sense to me.
How do I feel about it? I think it sucks. Most landlords I know insist that their renter only park in front of their own house so that no one complains and their illegal apartment is safe. If the neighbor was smart, she would do the same. But I have a corner house too and it happens all the time. I never could understand why anyone, with space in front of their own house, would do that. I would never come home and say to myself,”I think I’ll park in front of Joe’s house (even though there are spaces InFront of my own). I find that very odd. It’s almost like a dog pissing on something to claim it’s territory. And it’s always the jerk with the rusted out van that parks in front of others homes.

That said, it is a public street and you and I have absolutely no control over who parks where. Common sense dictates where one should park. But, we are on Long Island. Good luck finding people with common sense,

Old 08-26-2020, 12:02 PM

874 posts, read 728,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You want to get results? Send a letter to the fire department, building department, and mayor and/or town council, certified noting the obvious fire hazzard and you will keep a copy of the letter on hand for when tragedy invariably strikes (like it did in Huntington Station in 1999 when 3 people died and 16 were injured in a flop house fire) you'll pass the letter and the cards showing they were delivered to the attorneys and media who descend on the scene.

Phone calls can be brushed off. Letters, particularly with proof of delivery, get responses.

PS Aren't fireworks illegal in NY?

so just because 3 people died in an accident in 1999, you want to call the police and and ruin peoples lives?

you better think twice times are rough, and you are just trying to make people homeless.

shame on you karen!

Old 08-26-2020, 12:37 PM

101 posts, read 71,441 times
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have to admit I’m pleasantly surprised at how many of you are sympathetic to my situation. Usually you get a bunch of replies about minding your own business, the road doesn’t belong to anyone, times are tough (like to bozo in the previous post), blah, blah, blah. Just because times are tough doesn’t mean the rest of the tax paying residents should come home to a free for all. Some peace and quiet after a long day of work once in a while would be nice. I don’t even care about illegal rentals, I care about the complete disregard for the people who have been peacefully living in the area for decades.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:16 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartwheelmaster View Post
Sofar my annoying neighbor isn't too bad they respect the street spot directly in front of my house but whenever they have guests it's like a free for all. The worst is when it snows and you shoveled out your spot for you, and have to go to work and guess what some POS parks right there when you come home

In Boston people put a lawn chair or a table in that spot & NO ONE would dare to
park there . I think they're tougher than we are here.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-26-2020, 01:38 PM

101 posts, read 71,441 times
I was actually going to line the front of my house with those green drive slow guys. Put 3 or 4 out. See how long it takes for someone to steal them or run them over...

Guests parking in front of my house arent a big deal to me. Even in the nice areas, people throw parties and there is no choice but to park on the street. Usually in a few hours theyre gone. Whats gets me is the people living day in and day out in the neighbors basement that think my house is there permanent parking spot. Maybe if the homeowner gave me a small portion of the rent he gets to collect, $100 or month or so, id feel better about it.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:32 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I certainly would not want to be in the other persons situation. I know my husband would blow a gasket if he had to deal with that. OP I am in Islip too just curious what area this is happening.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:03 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I never heard they were "cracking down" on illegal apts. In fact, when I saw the local code gestapo ogling pools and fences to hit with violations I asked "what about the illegal apts" and he said "we're not looking for that." So there ya go.
Cracking down on many illegal apts on Long Island would mean they'd have to crack down on illegal aliens. NY State ain't doing that anytime soon.
The two largest groups that tend to drive the demand for illegal apts are college students and illegal aliens.
This was one of the main reasons I made sure to live in an incorporated village (amongst others) as there is no overnight street parking allowed and it is strictly enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island