Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 7,659 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm currently writing a feature article about Argyle Park, its history and about its use for engagement pics, wedding ceremonies and the like. Does anyone have any stories or memories of the pack they could share with me for my article? This is not actually getting published it's for a class. I have to create a magazine prototype for brides on Long Island. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:36 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
It was one of my favorite places on a Sunday afternoon. Used to just hang out there playing guitar in the late 70's, but alas my wedding pictures were taken outside the Church of the Advent.

Don't forget to show the old hotel or mention the Cuban Giants.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Babylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrose14 View Post
Hi, I'm currently writing a feature article about Argyle Park ...

You may want to include that Argyle Park is in the Village of Babylon in the southeast part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County (along the Babylon/Islip town line).

For those who may not be familiar with Babylon:

Babylon is a village (incorporated in 1893) in the southeast part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County (along the Babylon/Islip town line).

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Babylon in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Babylon; on the east by the Hamlet of West Islip in the Town of Islip (the Babylon/Islip town line); on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of West Babylon.

The Village of Babylon has a different border than does the "Babylon, NY 11702" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and not be in the Village of Babylon and a place can have other than a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address and be in the Village of Babylon): places that have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address that are not in the Village of Babylon are in the Hamlet of North Babylon and in the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Babylon with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
My very first apartment was in Babylon Village on DPA just north of 27A. I loved walking over to Argyle Park any chance I could!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:27 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Don't forget to mention The Argyle Hotel which was a huge spa-like place of the 1890s. City people would come out on the train to this luxurious spot.

And, as Clark Street mentioned , there were the Cuban Giants baseball team. The team was made up of black guys , but this was so unacceptable that they had to try and pass as Hispanics. Sad, right?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 AM

9 posts, read 35,333 times
I have many stories about Argyle Park but likely not any that you'd want to include o}:

But from feeding the ducks in the summer, to ice skating in the winter, watching remote controlled minitaure motor boats and fishing - none of which are now allowed - there are lots of great memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island