U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 06:45 PM

522 posts, read 1,239,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
I know this started at some point last year and I'm curious about something. Based on people I've spoken to and much research online, it appears that these "surcharges" for when you now pay with a card only apply to CREDIT cards and it is simply not allowed with debit cards.

I went to a local pizzeria today and got two slices and before paying with my DEBIT card I informed the guy a surcharge was not legal. He claimed I was "wrong" and it's "just for all cards". Can anyone out there clarify? There are articles all over the internet noting how these fees/surcharges are only for credit.

His merchant agreement may charge him the fee regardless of Debit or Credit. Any swipe with a DEBIT card where you don't enter your pin is treated as a credit swipe at the credit merchant rate.

I take credit cards and I am sure a ton of my buyers use debit cards to buy. I have no way of knowing what was debit and what was credit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 PM

252 posts, read 115,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Yet again, another “Fee”. Just like the 10% “COVID Surcharge” at NYC restaurants.
-credit card surcharge
-covid dining surcharge
-regular tip

May as well take out a small loan to eat out in NYC these days

Old 09-21-2020, 08:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,506,167 times
Quote:
-credit card surcharge
-covid dining surcharge
-regular tip

May as well take out a small loan to eat out in NYC these days
Forgot the rental or purchase of the bullet proof vest that will be needed too, lol.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:25 AM

9,978 posts, read 5,360,301 times
Quote:
I know this started at some point last year and I'm curious about something. Based on people I've spoken to and much research online, it appears that these "surcharges" for when you now pay with a card only apply to CREDIT cards and it is simply not allowed with debit cards.

I went to a local pizzeria today and got two slices and before paying with my DEBIT card I informed the guy a surcharge was not legal. He claimed I was "wrong" and it's "just for all cards". Can anyone out there clarify? There are articles all over the internet noting how these fees/surcharges are only for credit.
If you were sure enough to tell a guy what he was doing was illegal to save less than a quarter you should be able to support that contention with documentation and since you've brought your campaign here you might as well post your proof here as well. The burden of proof is yours.

Or just pay cash next time, you're holding up the line.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:37 PM

252 posts, read 115,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you were sure enough to tell a guy what he was doing was illegal to save less than a quarter you should be able to support that contention with documentation and since you've brought your campaign here you might as well post your proof here as well. The burden of proof is yours.

Or just pay cash next time, you're holding up the line.
You don't get it, and that's ok. For a single guy with one salary just getting by like myself who's quickly realizing New York State is designed to take every last DIME from me(/us), I do.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:47 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,687,790 times
Quote:
You don't get it, and that's ok. For a single guy with one salary just getting by like myself who's quickly realizing New York State is designed to take every last DIME from me(/us), I do.
I'm with this guy. It ain't about eighteen cents, it's about the three percent. Last week I bought a small potted tree at a local florist. Another four dollars for using my credit card. My mechanic told me he has to start charging the fee. If I spend five hundred dollars there (not uncommon) , it's another fifteen bucks. I usually don't carry around that much cash these days, everything on the credit card.. At the end of the year it's a few hundred dollars more, and will be worse if more merchants charge it.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:50 AM

9,978 posts, read 5,360,301 times
Quote:
For a single guy with one salary just getting by why not just pay cash if the two dimes is going to ruin your life? No fees involved. And if you're looking for something to complain about to make you feel better, try to decide upfront if you're pissed at the pizza guy, his credit card company or the State of New York. What does New York have to do with your complaint anyway?

And what does being single have to do with it? If you're looking to find a woman, complaining about pocket change is not apt to impress your audience.

You see, I do get it - you still have not been able to support your claim that adding the fee is illegal and you'd rather tell others that they don't get it than to go out and get it yourself.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:26 AM

10,303 posts, read 13,014,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I'm with this guy. It ain't about eighteen cents, it's about the three percent. Last week I bought a small potted tree at a local florist. Another four dollars for using my credit card. My mechanic told me he has to start charging the fee. If I spend five hundred dollars there (not uncommon) , it's another fifteen bucks. I usually don't carry around that much cash these days, everything on the credit card.. At the end of the year it's a few hundred dollars more, and will be worse if more merchants charge it.
I have two suggestions for you. One if he knows you as a good customer, why not ask him if you can pay by check? I know checks are so "yesterday", but at least you won't pay a fee to use them. The alternative is to call ahead and get the number you will be charged for the service and get cash.

Realistically speaking, the merchant is already paying around 2-3% to offer you the use of the card to being with, so you can't blame him for not absorbing the additional expense. Sure, an argument can be made that they are already charging you for that already, as it is included in the final number you owe. Would you want them to charge you another 3% that they hide in your final number?

Old 09-23-2020, 08:08 AM

388 posts, read 128,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Pay cash then. If you don’t have the cash and need to put it on the card and worried about the few dollars in fees is the last thing you should worry about. It’s the 10-27 percent interest your paying each month on it. Your tree that’s 103 dollar will turn into 150 in a few months.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM

8,786 posts, read 3,970,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Forgot the rental or purchase of the bullet proof vest that will be needed too, lol.
What a drama queen. Turn off Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: