Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 03:12 PM

107,367 posts, read 109,759,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
That's because they have done everything they can to shut down existing ranges and make it impossible to open any new ones.

As opposed to upstate, where (if you have suitable land) can effectively create a range (albeit a private one) on your own property.
What ranges were shut down by “THEY “? I don’t know of any ......all the ones I know of are still open . The only closed ones were business decisions by the owners

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-13-2020 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 06:33 AM

962 posts, read 2,518,184 times
Our local Sportsman's club ( which has upgraded ranges of various types) has a number of members from downstate. Many of them keep firearms at their 2nd homes, which makes sense to me.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Our local Sportsman's club ( which has upgraded ranges of various types) has a number of members from downstate. Many of them keep firearms at their 2nd homes, which makes sense to me.
until recently nyc permit holders were not allowed to have hand guns in 2nd homes in ny state. residence permits were restricted to your primary .

Old 10-14-2020, 07:32 AM

3,268 posts, read 1,638,545 times
No love for Calverton?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdxSn59zgYk

There are some nice looking private clubs I would like to find out more about like this one:

http://www.peconicriver.com/

Old 10-14-2020, 12:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,555,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
What ranges were shut down by “THEY “? I don’t know of any ......all the ones I know of are still open . The only closed ones were business decisions by the owners
They = the government. That should be obvious as it is the only entity able to regulate, approve, and permit a range to exist.

The Huntington range on Spagnoli Road is one example. It turned a profit for the town, unlike most government run businesses. There were petitions to renew the lease and keep it open.

When the town's ruling party changed, the lease was not renewed and the range closed. So "THEY" closed the range. But I guess we're both right... the owner was the government. However, all evidence points to the closure being a political decision, not a business decision.

If you want to believe that opening a new range or maintaining an existing range is not actively discouraged by our local governments, that is your choice. My experience speaking with people in the trade says different.

At a state level and local LI level, our government is actively, and often rabidly, anti-2A. Ranges are not immune from this hatred.

edited to add: On LI, you have to have an 'approved' range to be legal, even if you happen to have enough land to avoid other rules/laws. Most townships have laws prohibiting any discharge (including bows and BB guns). Contrast that to upstate, where a "range" is any place you have enough land for one. Try shooting on your LI property and "they" will shut your "range" down just before they arrest you.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
until recently nyc permit holders were not allowed to have hand guns in 2nd homes in ny state. residence permits were restricted to your primary .
The current status for NYC permit holders now allows posession at a 2nd home within the state? I might add that upstate, local/ county/ but not necessarily NY State Law enforcement taked a more realistic view of firearms ownership. Mentioned this before, but most upstate County Sheriffs are not pushing enforcement of the Safe? Act...

Old 10-14-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
They = the government. That should be obvious as it is the only entity able to regulate, approve, and permit a range to exist.

The Huntington range on Spagnoli Road is one example. It turned a profit for the town, unlike most government run businesses. There were petitions to renew the lease and keep it open.

When the town's ruling party changed, the lease was not renewed and the range closed. So "THEY" closed the range. But I guess we're both right... the owner was the government. However, all evidence points to the closure being a political decision, not a business decision.

If you want to believe that opening a new range or maintaining an existing range is not actively discouraged by our local governments, that is your choice. My experience speaking with people in the trade says different.

At a state level and local LI level, our government is actively, and often rabidly, anti-2A. Ranges are not immune from this hatred.

edited to add: On LI, you have to have an 'approved' range to be legal, even if you happen to have enough land to avoid other rules/laws. Most townships have laws prohibiting any discharge (including bows and BB guns). Contrast that to upstate, where a "range" is any place you have enough land for one. Try shooting on your LI property and "they" will shut your "range" down just before they arrest you.
And I ask you again , what ranges did the govt close down in the city or Long Island ?

Huntington was a business deal not an anti gun deal by govt ,the same as t&t closed up floral park

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-14-2020 at 01:27 PM..

Old 10-14-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The current status for NYC permit holders now allows posession at a 2nd home within the state? I might add that upstate, local/ county/ but not necessarily NY State Law enforcement taked a more realistic view of firearms ownership. Mentioned this before, but most upstate County Sheriffs are not pushing enforcement of the Safe? Act...
As of July a residence permit was approved for a 2nd home in the state

Old 10-14-2020, 10:20 PM

Default handgun / residence permit

Quote:
As of July a residence permit was approved for a 2nd home in the state
In my county, there are many. unrestricted permits being issued..yet A downstater can only keep a handgun at their 2nd home up here? You would think NYC would allow those with their handgun up here to at least be under restricted permit rules. Again...with a valid permit..LEO's around here would tend to be more reasonable about a 2nd home owner and their firearms..long gun or pistol.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:58 AM

Quote:
In my county, there are many. unrestricted permits being issued..yet A downstater can only keep a handgun at their 2nd home up here? You would think NYC would allow those with their handgun up here to at least be under restricted permit rules. Again...with a valid permit..LEO's around here would tend to be more reasonable about a 2nd home owner and their firearms..long gun or pistol.
our city permits are now good at ranges through out the state , for hunting anywhere legal in ny and as a residence permit in a 2nd home in the state .

that is as good as it will get in nyc .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island