Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2020, 06:19 AM

81 posts, read 68,046 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I would just like to ask why when I search up on Google, "is Southampton Village, NY safe?" it says that the crime rate there is 83% higher than the state's cities and towns of all sizes. I went to Southampton Village and I felt fine and is there something I'm missing here? I would like to know, thank you all.
Why does Google say Southampton Village, NY is unsafe?-screenshot-2020-10-20-8.13.14-am.png
P.S. Ignore the SafeSearch message
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 06:35 AM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
Maybe its related to the number of actual crime reported and not on individual feelings at a given moment

Old 10-20-2020, 06:44 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiper View Post
Maybe its related to the number of actual crime reported and not on individual feelings at a given moment

Don't they average it out by # of crimes vs # of population or something like that?

Old 10-20-2020, 08:27 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,208 times
Because the data is bogus. It reflects only towns with their own police department. And the per capita data lists only the primary residents (i.e., the site you listed says the population is 3,300). To make matters worse, it appears to take the Southampton Town crime statistics and compare it to the Southampton Village population.

If you ignore the numerator, and the denominator, statistics can say whatever you wish.

Old 10-20-2020, 09:20 PM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
The FBI’s annual report Crime in the United States.
https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...ime-statistics

This publication is a statistical compilation of offense, arrest, and police employee data reported by law enforcement agencies voluntarily participating in the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program.

The UCR Program collects information on crimes reported by law enforcement agencies regarding the violent crimes of murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault, as well as the property crimes of burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson. (The FBI classifies arson as a property crime but does not estimate arson data because of variations in the level of participation by the reporting agencies. Consequently, arson data is not included in the property crime estimate.) The program also collects arrest data for the offenses listed above and 20 offenses that include all other crimes except traffic violations.

Caution Against Ranking

Each year when Crime in the United States is published, some entities use the figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular state, county, city, town, tribal area, or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing crime data of individual reporting units from states, metropolitan areas, cities, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population coverage or student enrollment.

Of the 18,667 federal, state, county, city, university and college, and tribal agencies eligible to participate in the UCR Program, 16,554 agencies submitted data in 2019.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

This site provides some actual crime stats (whether accurate or not) and how they relate to the rest of NYS

Last edited by Yac; 10-21-2020 at 12:29 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 01:38 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Town of Southampton is a large township. If they're referring to the township, there are numerous areas, including several with significant criminal activity. The village is much quieter and I would guess, crime is much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island