U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,337,243 times

Advertisements

We had our floors refinished about 5 months ago (sanded, stained and 3 coats of high gloss poly). Since then, our gloss has almost completely lost its thick, glossy layer. It now almost resembles a satin finish. We're also having an impossible time trying to get these floors to shine! There is always a dull, filmy look. We never had this with our floors in our old home. Could it be the poly that was used? Because our old home had actually been treated with boat poly, and in 6 1/2 years it never lost the sheen! Is it because I chose a dark stain this time as opposed to the honey color we had in the other home? Help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,048,193 times
What are you cleaning the floors with? Are you waxing them? Could there be wax buildup that needs to be stripped?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:37 PM

We were using ZEP hardwood floor cleaner. Then we went to the swiffer.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
We were using ZEP hardwood floor cleaner. Then we went to the swiffer.
The regular Swiffer solution or the solution for hardwood floors? If it's the regular solution, that may be the problem. (However, I don't know how good their hardwood floor solution is either.) Did you talk to the people that did the floors for you and describe the problem and ask them why it was happening? If not, give them a call and see what they say.

I don't think the color of your floors this time as opposed to the color of the other floors you had should have anything to do with it.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:29 PM

I did call them. They insist I am not using the correct cleaner. When I showed him, he just shrugged his shoulders. Then he finally just walked out. Of course, he offered to re-do the floors (how kind of him) and basically make another small fortune off of us right before he left.

I'm thinking of taking him to small claims court. But I cannot get a company in. They want to know if I want the floors done. When I tell them I'm just looking to pay them for their professional opinion, they are all telling me they won't bash another floor company in writing.

I honestly think it is the poly that was used. But now my floor guy won't even call me back.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I did call them. They insist I am not using the correct cleaner. When I showed him, he just shrugged his shoulders. Then he finally just walked out. Of course, he offered to re-do the floors (how kind of him) and basically make another small fortune off of us right before he left.

I'm thinking of taking him to small claims court. But I cannot get a company in. They want to know if I want the floors done. When I tell them I'm just looking to pay them for their professional opinion, they are all telling me they won't bash another floor company in writing.

I honestly think it is the poly that was used. But now my floor guy won't even call me back.
For small claims court, in writing won't be enough anyway. The judge will want to be able to question an expert witness. I am surprised they didn't offer to redo for free or at least at a significant discount. You could take pics of the floors and try your luck in small claims court anyway. They shouldn't go bad in only 5 months!

As for what to do now, here is my advice. Since I assume the floor guy sanded them and they are all nice and even with no damage, why not roll on some boat poly yourself? It's not hard to DIY. My DH did it himself and floors came out great.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 AM

3,180 posts, read 9,695,654 times
Was the poly water based or oil? How long did it take to dry?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:12 AM

It took about less than a day between each coat. He waited a day and a half before the third coat.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:16 AM

3,180 posts, read 9,695,654 times
Quote:
It took about less than a day between each coat. He waited a day and a half before the third coat.

I bet it did not smell too bad either.....sounds like water based poly. while its a good product, it will never give the high gloss look that the traditional oil based poly gives.

Water based is good for statin not gloss. Its easier to use and thats why contractors love the stuff.

Do you know what brand he used?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM

652 posts, read 2,148,951 times
Quote:
We had our floors refinished about 5 months ago (sanded, stained and 3 coats of high gloss poly). Since then, our gloss has almost completely lost its thick, glossy layer. It now almost resembles a satin finish. We're also having an impossible time trying to get these floors to shine! There is always a dull, filmy look. We never had this with our floors in our old home. Could it be the poly that was used? Because our old home had actually been treated with boat poly, and in 6 1/2 years it never lost the sheen! Is it because I chose a dark stain this time as opposed to the honey color we had in the other home? Help!
Sounds like they used a cheap poly. Far as water based poly...There are EXCELLENT water polys out there. Matter of fact oil will soon be impossible to get. Most states it's been banned already. With that said...I do have to say that the more deadly the finish the nicer they look Years ago I used whats called a "moisture cured" finish. Super deadly but gave THE nicest finish hands down...if it didn't kill you first while applying it...lol. It's been banned now probably a half dozen years or so....and rightly so!!!
Hopefully what you had down was oil so it can be reapplied with one more coat of some "good" oil poly.
Gloss finishes are THE hardest finish there is....especially in oil. When I do wood floor jobs I always do the first coat with a high gloss and finish the next two coats with whatever the customer wants whether it be a semi gloss of matte finish. An all gloss finish should last years. You need to be sure what they used was either a water or oil finish b/c if you go over it again you can't put oil over water.
What I suggest you do is "screen" the floors. Rent a floor "buffing" machine and use "screens" to dull it up and get nice and smooth again. Clean the powder up real good and give the floor an "even" coat of a real good poly. Don't put it on too heavy. Thin even coats work best!!
It's not that difficult b/c you won't be "sanding" the floors down. You'll just be screening them.
Go to a professional floor supply house to get the poly. They also rent the buffing machine and the screens.
I can give you the phone number of a place in Huntington if you PM me.
They're on NY Ave. They sell janitorial supplies and floor supplies.
See my website in my profile. I have a few pic of the floors I did. I bought all my poly from that supply house.
Good luck
andy
PS...Here's a picture of a floor in my own home I did. Circa:1680. This is the machine I used to do the screening. And a pic of the finished floor below that.

Last edited by andybuildz; 05-05-2008 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island