U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,104,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I think your points are valid; however, if you do consolidate into just 2 districts, you face a lot of the problems that, for instance, Cary, NC is facing. Yes, the schools rate well, but it is in the media all the time for mass confusion within the district. Kids are getting rezoned all the time, the overcrowding is so bad that there are trailors for additional classes, and most of the schools have switched over to year round calendars in order to provide education.
I think the problems you describe have to do with the ever-increasing rise in the population who are bringing their families in than the fact that it is just 1 school district.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Walter,

Then where would all the teachers live? I guess not on LI......What about police? Lower them too? Where wil they live? Queens?

Why don't we cut out sports, music and after school activities.....we don't "need" them.

I do agree about administrative positions....
I think the reproduction of administrations in each and every little school district fiefdom are what is killing us in taxes, not the activities, nor the teachers' salaries. Some of these administrators are making more money than people in federal, state and NYC government who have much more responsibilities. They pay themselves like they are corporate "rock stars" not public servants.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 PM

197 posts, read 471,876 times
Quote:
They pay themselves like they are corporate "rock stars" not public servants.
Incredibly well put. I have no issue with teacher pay either as the are the direct link to my children's education. Admin on the other hand....

Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
While a young couple may not be able to afford to buy their own single family home, they will be able to finance an extension on a parents' single family home, and as more and more single family homes are converted into multi-generational homes, the population will continue to rise.
That depends where the parents' home is located and whether or not their local municipality will allow it. You cannot always convert a single family home to a multi-family home on LI just because you want to. The zoning must be there.

OKAY ... I re-read your post and read your subsequent posts, and it appears you are not talking about turning homes into multi-family homes, but adding extensions onto homes that do not include separate facilities so families can live completely together and share everything. Frankly, if I want to live that way, I will move to India, where it is still the custom.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBored View Post
Raise their salaries, and dump the pensions move it to private sector 401k's, That would help out on taxes.
If it's good enough for us in the private sector, it should be good enough for them too.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,446,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I think your points are valid; however, if you do consolidate into just 2 districts, you face a lot of the problems that, for instance, Cary, NC is facing. Yes, the schools rate well, but it is in the media all the time for mass confusion within the district. Kids are getting rezoned all the time, the overcrowding is so bad that there are trailors for additional classes, and most of the schools have switched over to year round calendars in order to provide education.
Would have to disagree with this. Cary is dealing with an influx of new residents with no infrastructure in place. LI has all the schools and infrastructure in place, it is just about cutting out all of the people lining their pockets with money that should be going to students. Purchasing, operations, etc can all be centralized. Every city in the world does it, why can't Long Island? Tristan's hit it on the head. Fear of change, fear of "slumming it" with other kids, fear of relinquishing phony control.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 11,104 times
Default katgab717

I get your point, but the problems with rezoning kids in Cary, NC is mainly because the areas are growing too fast and they have to keep adding new schools, which means they have to relocate kids to fill vacancies once the new schools are built.

I also agree that taxes are out of control. I can also understand people wanting only two districts, but maybe it could be broken down a little bit. Say Western Nassau and Eastern Nassau and Western Suffolk and Eastern Suffolk. Way too many people make money for bogus reasons and it does come out of our tax dollars. Like you I would love to move, but where is there to go. I'd rather pay my taxes and get the great schools that I have, not to mention the best services around for my autistic son. Even if I voted no to the budget, they would just take a revote until they get their yes anyhow. What are we all to do, move? I don't think that is the solution, I honestly don't know what is, but I agree that it's getting harder and harder to live on the Island.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 26,594,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katgab717 View Post
Even if I voted no to the budget, they would just take a revote until they get their yes anyhow

I've never understood how people could vote against the school district budget while, at the same time, voting for the school board trustees that gave them the budget they voted against.

The first vote on the next year's school district budget is the vote for the school district trustee that will decide the next year's school district budget.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 PM

3,348 posts, read 8,756,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I've never understood how people could vote against the school district budget while, at the same time, voting for the school board trustees that gave them the budget they voted against.

The first vote on the next year's school district budget is the vote for the school district trustee that will decide the next year's school district budget.
I agree. When looking at the trustees to vote for, my first cut is to always vote against any incumbents.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,265,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Would have to disagree with this. Cary is dealing with an influx of new residents with no infrastructure in place. LI has all the schools and infrastructure in place, it is just about cutting out all of the people lining their pockets with money that should be going to students. Purchasing, operations, etc can all be centralized. Every city in the world does it, why can't Long Island? Tristan's hit it on the head. Fear of change, fear of "slumming it" with other kids, fear of relinquishing phony control.

Moderator cut: comment I'll say it again, just so people don't think I stood by my original statement: I completely agree, the infrastructure is already in place.

Walter did bring up an excellent point of possible more housing in terms of adding another family dwelling on top of an already existing one family dwelling. And there is also the point of homes that have been, or are in the process of being, turned into illegal multiple family dwellings. But this has been the case on the island forever, and it isn't going to change.

My fear is not "slumming" as one poster put it. I just would never allow my child to be zoned for a school that is in a neighborhood where there are security guards/metal detectors. And I think a lot of people would agree with that issue. I could care less about blending schools in terms of race or economics (I'm part of a blended family myself and am not rich); however, I do take issue with pairing children who have had somewhat sheltered lives and mixing them with children who are living a more urban lifestyle.

Last edited by Keeper; 05-15-2008 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: calling out a moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or