U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 09:28 AM

76 posts, read 171,356 times

Advertisements

I wonder how taxes would be helped, if illegals left..

Theres a town out west forgot which one, that actually enforced the hiring of illegals. They packed up and left because they couldn't get jobs. 3-400 students stopped showing up to class (out of a school of 1200 I think?) business in the town suddenly stopped to a crawl, because the illegals were no longer paying "rent" in the rentals, and or shopping at the business on Main Street.. So that town is pretty decimated financially. So would that help or hurt us?

Another thing to consider, When an Illegal goes to the hospital, to deliver a baby, or just get general care.. Who pays for it? Oh my Tax dollars... Who pays for their kids education? Oh My Tax Dollars.. Would taxes be lower if they weren't here? Since the'd be less spending on those things..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,266,536 times
That is my issue with illegal rentals (not immigrants, just apartments). How many illegal renters are enrolling their children in schools with our tax money? My district was SO strict with ensuring tht we actually did reside in the home we just purchased. The school did a drive-by (not shooting LOL), asked for our new licenses, deed to the home and utility bills. But this is NOT the norm for the Island. Illegal apartment rentals are a major problem on this island. And if people need to do so in order to pay their mortgage, then at least make the apartments legal and pay your share of the taxes, rather than have your neighbors absorb the costs.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Heres a novel idea, cut property taxes in half and charge each kid's parents 3k to attend school. (private schools around 8k so you still save!)

Lived there 18 years, no more kids? prop taxes are now 6k from 12k..

Have 1 Kid ? Prop taxes are now 9k..
Have 2 kids? prop taxes are now 12k..
3 kids, 4 kids.. etc..

Make everyone pay their fare share..

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,266,536 times
Not a bad idea, in theory. Schools will complain if enrollment is down one year due to lack of procreation! LOL But it is something to digest.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 PM

3,348 posts, read 8,760,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBored View Post
Heres a novel idea, cut property taxes in half and charge each kid's parents 3k to attend school. (private schools around 8k so you still save!)

Lived there 18 years, no more kids? prop taxes are now 6k from 12k..

Have 1 Kid ? Prop taxes are now 9k..
Have 2 kids? prop taxes are now 12k..
3 kids, 4 kids.. etc..

Make everyone pay their fare share..
What happens if they can't or don't pay?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
What happens if they can't or don't pay?
Don't pay? What happens if you don't pay your prop taxes now?
Can't pay? How are they paying their prop taxes now?

This would probably only affect those who have more then 3 kids no?
As for renters ? Their rents would go up, because the homeowners property tax would go up.

Obviously it has some kinks that need to be worked out, and No I'm not rich where its just another dollar to me, I wouldn't really be able to afford what I am proposing.

But it looks fair.. Prop taxes pays for schools.. if you have no kids in schools, or choose to send your kids to private schools, why should you have to pay 12k a year?

Last edited by JustBored; 05-21-2008 at 03:11 PM..

Old 05-21-2008, 03:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 26,605,778 times
JustBored, the much more elegant solution would be to reduce property taxes by completely eliminating all gov't school districts.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:29 AM

3,180 posts, read 9,329,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
JustBored, the much more elegant solution would be to reduce property taxes by completely eliminating all gov't school districts.
Schools out..................forever!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 30,710,015 times
Quote:
But it looks fair.. Prop taxes pays for schools.. if you have no kids in schools, or choose to send your kids to private schools, why should you have to pay 12k a year?
I understand what you're saying, but private school/Catholic school students obtain buses and other items through the public schools. Not paying into the public school system would pass a portion of that tax onto their private school bill.

If private school people weren't paying taxes on the public schools their homes were within, wouldn't that be something equivalent to the voucher/school choice system?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 9,329,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I understand what you're saying, but private school/Catholic school students obtain buses and other items through the public schools. Not paying into the public school system would pass a portion of that tax onto their private school bill.

If private school people weren't paying taxes on the public schools their homes were within, wouldn't that be something equivalent to the voucher/school choice system?
If you sent your kids to a private school, you should get a small,even token, reduction it your school taxes. It will not happen....too much politics.

Its my choice to send my kids to Sts. Philips and James, I do not mind paying my taxes to the school district nor do I vote no on the school budget vote. I just feel that a $500 credit on my school taxes seems fair.

What would happen if all the private school kids showed up for public school next Sept.? The point is they should work together better.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or