Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:23 PM

161 posts, read 683,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I think your points are valid; however, if you do consolidate into just 2 districts, you face a lot of the problems that, for instance, Cary, NC is facing. Yes, the schools rate well, but it is in the media all the time for mass confusion within the district. Kids are getting rezoned all the time, the overcrowding is so bad that there are trailors for additional classes, and most of the schools have switched over to year round calendars in order to provide education.
We left LI , moved to Cary and were glad to rid ourselves of our Smithtown property tax bill. The real problem with the schools in Raleigh/Cary: because the district is so large (like a "Suffolk County District") ,they have the right to bus and diversify the student population at will and often. This constant change undermines the high performing student & jeapordizes the at risk with disorderly conduct and low motivation fueled by the "economically disadvantaged students". It also creates a inconsistent sense of community.
Private schools are numerous and have wait lists. Just add up the fees for privates schools with NO BUS and you can really appreciate a LI Tax Bill. Be careful of what you want and what you move to. If you do move south for low taxes, be very careful. Most realtors are trained to embrace diversity and sell these wonderful schools. Poor LI.....taxes are only a piece of the pie. Your utilities are killer and your homes are very old. Our homes are all new; I will not be looking at replacing an oil burner, driveway or roof. Our economy is not based on service and our RTP brings in high tech jobs in quantitiy. I still love LI but only to visit my family left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 AM

111 posts, read 412,975 times
Thats not going to happen. People want to be segregated. There are no watch dogs to perform these checks and balances. What we know now that LI home prices are droppping. The assessments are lowering and we will see lower taxes. Then the question will be when the police fire and schools need money they will cut services or raise taxes. The job of NYS property taxes are to collect them from the county. If the county cannot produce they will raise taxes due to uncollected property taxes from foreclosers etc ... What will happen to long Island?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giznot View Post
Thats not going to happen. People want to be segregated. There are no watch dogs to perform these checks and balances. What we know now that LI home prices are droppping. The assessments are lowering and we will see lower taxes. Then the question will be when the police fire and schools need money they will cut services or raise taxes. The job of NYS property taxes are to collect them from the county. If the county cannot produce they will raise taxes due to uncollected property taxes from foreclosers etc ... What will happen to long Island?
Taxes going down? No that will not happen. The assessments are going down but they will just increas the tax rate. Nassau is already talked about it. Same bills and increases will happen despite the market trends.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:54 PM

100 posts, read 326,455 times
I heard that Suozzi is going to raise our taxes another 3%... I guess I should visit the bathroom and %$&^ the added 3% out?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,669 times
The house I'm buying was appraised by the tax people for more than double what the fair market value is. So they told me to bring the contract with the purchase price and the banks assessment to the tax assessors office and they would adjust it accordingly.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM

231 posts, read 960,711 times
What are the due dates for when taxes have to be paid? If a person is selling their house wouldn't they want to sell it before a tax payment is due.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
If a person is selling their house wouldn't they want to sell it before a tax payment is due.
Not a problem: property taxes are paid at the beginning of the tax period, be it quarterly, semi-annual or annual; and, as part of the closing costs, the buyer reimburses the seller for that part of the property tax that covers the period form the closing date, when the ownership of the property is actually transferred, to the next scheduled property tax payment.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 AM

Great Posts! Thanks all for contributing. What about all the assessments? Does anyone know how to lower them yourselves? What about the assessors office. If you fight the taxes do they retaliate by inspecting your property? Lets keep them coming!!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Keep them coming!! Anyone had there taxes grieved yet especially for smithtown?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
The house I'm buying was appraised by the tax people for more than double what the fair market value is. So they told me to bring the contract with the purchase price and the banks assessment to the tax assessors office and they would adjust it accordingly.
Don't know what part of LI your house is in, but in the Town of Huntington, the maximum assessment reduction per grievance is 25%.

P.S. just saw you're in Smithtown - check for possible limits with your assessor's office.

Last edited by Elke Mariotti; 02-17-2009 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: added "P.S."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island