Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 09:39 PM

389 posts, read 400,348 times

Advertisements

I've been going to the Hamptons for ten years. We used to take day trips to South Hampton, which led to booking reservations. We are tired of staying at hotels because we want our own space and privacy. Not that there is anything wrong with the hotels there, but as a family we want to have our own property.

We love the Hamptons so much we want to buy a home there. We're looking at Sag Harbor, South Hampton, and Bridgehampton. These towns have drawn us in with the shops and unique feel of being on an island for a vacation. The good part of having your own place is you can attend year round and don't have to deal with checking in and out and calling for reservations.

So what has your experience been like living there? Do you live in a place that is walkable distance from the main street. Do you hire private cleaning services to maintain the inside of your house or pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 10:07 PM

81 posts, read 68,163 times
First of all what is your budget because varying on where you are in the Hamptons some places can be much more expensive than others

Old 01-20-2021, 07:33 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times
The one good thing, the property taxes are relatively cheap! Some of those MULTI MILLION dollar homes have cheaper taxes than my modest 3 BR ranch in a middle class neighborhood.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:14 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
I've been going to the Hamptons for ten years. We used to take day trips to South Hampton, which led to booking reservations. We are tired of staying at hotels because we want our own space and privacy. Not that there is anything wrong with the hotels there, but as a family we want to have our own property.

We love the Hamptons so much we want to buy a home there. We're looking at Sag Harbor, South Hampton, and Bridgehampton. These towns have drawn us in with the shops and unique feel of being on an island for a vacation. The good part of having your own place is you can attend year round and don't have to deal with checking in and out and calling for reservations.

So what has your experience been like living there? Do you live in a place that is walkable distance from the main street. Do you hire private cleaning services to maintain the inside of your house or pool?
IMO, the Hamptons are nice to visit, but I would rather LIVE on the North Fork.

Old 01-20-2021, 12:34 PM

235 posts, read 248,187 times
Get the H out of there! Southampton has one H, not South Hampton. Other posters have given good advice already. Spend a few minutes with Wikipedia, searching for the names of the five towns: Riverhead, East Hampton, Southampton, Shelter Island and Southold. Then notice the incorporated villages that might exist inside each. There are advantages and disadvantages of living inside a village, which (in New York State) is also within a town and a county.
---
A list of addresses is at
https://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Visi...s-and-Villages

Old 01-20-2021, 07:01 PM

389 posts, read 400,348 times
Lol ok.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
The one good thing, the property taxes are relatively cheap! Some of those MULTI MILLION dollar homes have cheaper taxes than my modest 3 BR ranch in a middle class neighborhood.
That's in large part because they have few schools. If you look at your RE tax bill, you will see that school taxes make up about 2/3 of the total.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:27 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
I have owned a home in Amagansett for the past 21 years, and we love it there. My wife and 3 kids spend the whole summer out there, and I go back and forth from Thursday to Monday as well as a full week in June and July, and two full weeks in August.

Amagansett is the perfect location for us. The village is small, and a bit quieter than a lot of the other villages, which to me is a plus. It is easy to go get a cup of coffee in the morning or pick up sandwiches for lunch, but at the same time, it is only an extra 5 minutes to go to East Hampton when we dont mind dealing with the summer crowds. Plus, Montauk is easily accessible from Amagansett. When my kids were younger, they went to day camp in Montauk, and now that they are older, they go there for surfing at ditch plains. Montauk is not the sleepy town it used to be. There are a lot of great restaurants and night life that we enjoy.

Our house is right on the ocean, which was relatively reasonable to buy 21 years ago, but now, not so much. But there are a lot of homes within close walking distance from the ocean that are still relatively attainable, which is not something you will find in Bridgehampton or Southampton. So if you like the ocean beaches, and you want hassle free access, you might want to consider Amagansett. Sag Harbor has bay beaches, but to me, it is just not the same.

As to the property taxes, they are very reasonable. I pay about the same in property taxes for my home in Amagansett as I do for my home in Northern NJ, in spite of the fact that my home in Amagansett is easily worth 10 times more than my home in NJ.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:28 AM

193 posts, read 271,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Our house is right on the ocean,
I should have become an anesthesiologist...

Old 01-27-2021, 08:48 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC.ONE View Post
I should have become an anesthesiologist...
Back when I moved in, my neighbors were mostly doctors lawyers and stock brokers. Things are a lot different now. Most have been replaced by tech giants, CEOs of huge corporations, famous entertainment people, and other people who’s names you may know. I could never afford my house if I were to buy it now. It was a stretch even back then. Had to rent it out the first few summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island