Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 09:51 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,762,417 times

Advertisements

Are LI restaurants seeing a boost from city slickers because of the NYC shutdown. LI restaurants are all open with indoor dining. NYC is still takeout only. Also LI can do more outdoor dining than NYC because NYC does not have huge parking lots.

All I can find online is articles pertaining to LI fishermen suffering because NYC restaurants are not ordering as much. I can imagine a lot of people in Queens and Brooklyn want to eat out having to come to LI. I for one just ate at Brasserie Persil indoors tonight. Very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 11:51 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,285,581 times
I think it depends how badly ppl want to eat out & distance to LI etc etc. Someone in Queens yeah why wouldn’t they come here but someone from Manhattan, maybe not. Do they want to get on the LIRR? It depends.

I for one have been going to restaurants since they opened back up & i’m going to continue to. Others are terrified & wont for a long time

Old 01-18-2021, 06:25 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,111,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think it depends how badly ppl want to eat out & distance to LI etc etc. Someone in Queens yeah why wouldn’t they come here but someone from Manhattan, maybe not. Do they want to get on the LIRR? It depends.

I for one have been going to restaurants since they opened back up & i’m going to continue to. Others are terrified & wont for a long time
Same here. The biggest challenge we’ve heard from several owners is the fear that local governments keep pushing.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:02 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,285,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Same here. The biggest challenge we’ve heard from several owners is the fear that local governments keep pushing.
The way I see it is they have families to feed just like all of us. If I can patronize a restaurant I enjoy & help make someone’s life a lil easier I’m going to do it. It’s a win-win ... I get a meal I enjoy & a local family gets a little extra $$ for bills

Old 01-18-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
The way I see it is they have families to feed just like all of us. If I can patronize a restaurant I enjoy & help make someone’s life a lil easier I’m going to do it. It’s a win-win ... I get a meal I enjoy & a local family gets a little extra $$ for bills
That very good and they appreciate it, I always make a point to thank the staff and owners for being open, they’re doing me a favor. Same with the crew at my gym who do the clean up of the equipment.
Before Covid we’d go out every Friday and Saturday, and now we still go out every Friday and Saturday for dinner, so things for us are normal. The only changes is we now get reservations for places where we never needed reservations, and now don’t need reservations for places where we needed them. Just odd. Also places are still bringing back staff slowly.

I know some people have let the Rona turn their lives upside down even when they or a loved one haven’t gotten it, but we’re just going about our life as best we can, and I can say we’re pretty happy and not stressed.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:18 PM

I just glad many of my fav spots on LI have not shutdown for good from Covid.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:21 AM

They still might as many if not most restaurants are currently operating at a loss, and it often a matter of seeing how small you can keep that loss. Restaurants really need to be fully opened up to be viable.
A $15 minimum wage may put them out of business or change how we experience eating out.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:18 PM

8,618 posts, read 10,995,211 times
Noticed Roosevelt field mall was packed to the gills. Suspect a lot of queens people go there

Old 01-19-2021, 08:29 PM

20,855 posts, read 28,180,725 times
I do get a lot of food to go but have not dined in any so far. Hubby said this covid thing has put a damper on dining out for him and it's not because he fears getting covid.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Noticed Roosevelt field mall was packed to the gills. Suspect a lot of queens people go there
Just there this weekend myself. Dicks' has no more guns and ammo section, disappointedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: