Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,595 times

Advertisements

While this land owner is completely within his legal rights, this situation really emphasizes what is happening on the island. Lower income-housing is being cleared to make way for luxury homes. These people, who will soon be displaced, will not be able to afford to purchase one of these home. So, what do they do with their trailers? Sure, I am aware that there are a few trailer prks scattered across the island, but what if these people had children in particular districts? I guess the least expensive way to go would be to rent in the same town; however, now they would have to come up with first, last, security and broker fee. They also would have to try to sell the trailer (good luck). It's just a sad situation. It reminds me of when Roosevelt Field was just a one level mall with some affordable shops, especially Woolworths. Once that mall went "luxury," it seemed as if the builders were trying to weed out particular shoppers of a certain class and income bracket. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,654,930 times
Sorry to hear, but oh well. It's the same as people bitching about rent increases...that's the way it is. If the owners owned the land, there would be no problems. There's is unfortunately or fortaunately little room for a mobile home in today's Nassau county. It's part of having a free, capitalist society.

It's like when people "demand" affordable housing in prime areas. Sorry, but I can't afford some of these areas and that's tough for me. No one is entitled to live anywhere, especially areas where other people are paying top dollar.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,920,751 times
So I guess people that don't own land should live in shelters or on the street... But not in certain neighborhoods... nice. It is too bad that more people can't own land. What's with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Sorry to hear, but oh well. It's the same as people bitching about rent increases...that's the way it is. If the owners owned the land, there would be no problems. There's is unfortunately or fortaunately little room for a mobile home in today's Nassau county. It's part of having a free, capitalist society.

It's like when people "demand" affordable housing in prime areas. Sorry, but I can't afford some of these areas and that's tough for me. No one is entitled to live anywhere, especially areas where other people are paying top dollar.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:05 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post

I have to say I do agree with this.

They were renting (not owning). They were getting a great deal to pay such a small amt to live in such an excellent SD (Syosset). I guess the party is over now. Now they are in the same place as the rest of us. If you want to live here, you have to come up with the cash. Bottom line. We all want to live in affluent SDs for a low price, but that's just not reality.

If I owned that property and got my price, I would have sold a long time ago. Except for my family, others' money issues are not my problem. I know it sounds a bit cold hearted, but such is life.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:20 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,920,751 times
So no more room for the little people, just folks who have enough cash to pay the ticket that deems it worthy of being a "long gilander". Sorry but I have to disagree with this.

While it may be expensive and you may not like a "mobile" home park many people rely on affordable housing even if they only own the home.

It is mostly people's view of what a mobile home (manufactured home, modular) is. Hey say it "I don't want a mobile home park near my McMansion that I paid (fill in the blanks with as many zeros fit).

Well I should end this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I have to say I do agree with this.

They were renting (not owning). They were getting a great deal to pay such a small amt to live in such an excellent SD (Syosset). I guess the party is over now. Now they are in the same place as the rest of us. If you want to live here, you have to come up with the cash. Bottom line. We all want to live in affluent SDs for a low price, but that's just not reality.

If I owned that property and got my price, I would have sold a long time ago. Except for my family, others' money issues are not my problem. I know it sounds a bit cold hearted, but such is life.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
... "long gilander" ...

That's "Lawn Guylander".

Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
I suspect the amt the land owner is getting from the developer far outweighs anything they could have gotten from the renters

As unfair as it seems, I suspect that you are correct.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
As unfair as it seems, I suspect that you are correct.

Why is it unfair?

Would you, or anyone else you know, be willing to sell your property at less than market value?

Did the trailer park renters ever attempt to find out how much it would cost to buy the land from the new owners, and then form a co-op or condominium corporation, try to obtain financing and possibly buy the land?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:55 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,228 times
More McMansions coming soon, when are towns gonna say "enough is enough"?
I'm sick of my island getting sold to rich snobs.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
So no more room for the little people, just folks who have enough cash to pay the ticket that deems it worthy of being a "long gilander". Sorry but I have to disagree with this.

While it may be expensive and you may not like a "mobile" home park many people rely on affordable housing even if they only own the home.

It is mostly people's view of what a mobile home (manufactured home, modular) is. Hey say it "I don't want a mobile home park near my McMansion that I paid (fill in the blanks with as many zeros fit).

Well I should end this...
I don't care if it is mobile homes or apt bldgs. The bottom line is a property owner has every right to have his best interests in mind. And renters have to realize that is the negative of being a renter, lack of control about their future. That's why people try to buy their own homes (not rent a peice of land), for that stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island