Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:08 AM

103 posts, read 377,680 times

Advertisements

We are finally under contract and now we need to secure the funds. We'll be putting down 20% for a 30yr fixed. We have excellent credit and can document our income. Our situation is fairly straightforward, so I'm wondering if we would be better off going directly to the source rather than bringing in a middle man? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
If you are putting down 20% and have good credit, you probably don't need the services of a mortgage broker. You are what is called an "A" borrower. Shop around with the banks for the best rate. By the way, for someone in your situation the best deals are to be had with a Credit Union.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:14 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,039 times
Tom is 100% right.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
We received a terrific rate from the Teachers Credit Union.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:38 AM

103 posts, read 377,680 times
Thanks! Actually I've been eyeing Bethpage FCU....they seem to have competitive rates. I think I'll have to pay them a visit. Has anybody used them?

Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
I can give you a few names, I do second the info on credit unions.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:06 AM

87 posts, read 270,405 times
Default Credit Unions

Hi KB/Tom, can you mention which credit unions you recommend? Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I can give you a few names, I do second the info on credit unions.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:20 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Well I use to be a mortgage broker so have some experience here. With your credit and what you are putting down going directly to the source probably makes more sense. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't look into both avenues to see. You also have to look at what your goals are. A mortgage broker may get you a little better rate and lower monthly payment than going to the source, but that would likely come at a price of either having a higher loan amount or putting a little more $$ down as closing costs will be higher with a broker. Basically you have to figure out will the $$ you save on a monthly basis by going to a broker make up for the extra costs from a broker (either down payment or loan amount). The amount of time you think your going to live in the house plays a major role. If you think it will just be for a few years, you are better off going to the source, if you think your going to live out the amount of the loan in that home, its probably better to go through the broker, if its somewhere in between well thats what a calculator is for

Old 05-10-2008, 04:44 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks13 View Post
Hi KB/Tom, can you mention which credit unions you recommend? Thanks a lot.
Both Teachers and Bethpage are solid lenders....good luck!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:44 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
A broker gets his/her money from the transaction, one way or another, usually in points up front, which is how you can get slightly better rates. I think the credit unions are so competitive right now that brokers are not necessary for you, that you should do the little extra work to get the rate on your own. A credit union is there to help its customers, they do not hide fees, everything is straight forward. No offense at all meant to mortgage brokers when I say this, but after what happened with this sub-prime disaster, brokers are having a much tougher time getting lenders to get them mortgages for their clients. Most often, using a mortgage broker means that your mortgage will most likely be sold off before your first payment is even duw. I would suggest to keep it local. That way, if you have any issues, you can walk into a branch and get personal assistance, versus talking to some kid on the other end of the telephone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island