Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 09:33 AM

121 posts, read 120,835 times

Advertisements

I'd like to convert the house I just bought to gas. Most of the basement is finished and not permitted. (The boiler room is unfinished, but you can't get to that room without going through the finished part of the basement). Anyway, when I updated my electrical box, I had no problems with the basement when the inspector came to check the box - they seemed to only check the electric. My question is, if I convert to gas, will the basement 100% be flagged? I understand there is a possibility of being flagged, but has anyone experienced an inspector that just comes to check the gas stuff was set up correctly?

If I am flagged for the unpermitted basement, and I don't want to get a permit, am I able to demo the basement and "unfinish" it instead? I don't really want to add taxable space to the house, and I am only using the basement for storage so instead of paying for an egress window and whatever else I would need to bring it up to code, it might make more sense to knock it down. Of course, the optimal solution would be not to pay to demo anything and just keep it as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 10:46 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
The electrical inspectors don't work for the town so you'll never have an issue with them. I wouldn't bother with a permit for gas conversion. Just use a reputable plumber. If you're in TOHempstead I HIGHLY recommend Cornetta Brothers. When I converted, the safety inspector from the gas company said "this is pro forma. I know they did it right". I had no issues when I sold the house. Just properly abandon your oil tank, which is also easy.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The electrical inspectors don't work for the town so you'll never have an issue with them. I wouldn't bother with a permit for gas conversion. Just use a reputable plumber. If you're in TOHempstead I HIGHLY recommend Cornetta Brothers. When I converted, the safety inspector from the gas company said "this is pro forma. I know they did it right". I had no issues when I sold the house. Just properly abandon your oil tank, which is also easy.
I start by calling National Grid, right?

Old 02-02-2021, 12:13 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valethor View Post
I start by calling National Grid, right?
Ignore what twinkles said. National grid won’t connect you w/o a permit. Your plumber will file the permits on your behalf. National grid will get the road opening permit. Even if the line is under dirt this is still needed. The only inspector from the town will be a plumbing dept. You will need one gas appliance connected for inspection.

You hire a plumber - they do all paper work get permit from town.
Nat grid gets permits they need and confirms you have a town issued permit.
Nat grid installs the gas line and stub.
You open an account with national grid
Your plumber connects stub to inside house and all interior work.
Town will have to come and do there stuff a pressure test.
You will have to submit your gas card to nat grid
You call nat grid and they come install the meter in 2 business days.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Ignore what twinkles said. National grid won’t connect you w/o a permit. Your plumber will file the permits on your behalf. National grid will get the road opening permit. Even if the line is under dirt this is still needed. The only inspector from the town will be a plumbing dept. You will need one gas appliance connected for inspection.

You hire a plumber - they do all paper work get permit from town.
Nat grid gets permits they need and confirms you have a town issued permit.
Nat grid installs the gas line and stub.
You open an account with national grid
Your plumber connects stub to inside house and all interior work.
Town will have to come and do there stuff a pressure test.
You will have to submit your gas card to nat grid
You call nat grid and they come install the meter in 2 business days.
So from your experience does that inspector from the plumbing dept look at things like finished basements or is it not that type of inspector?

Old 02-02-2021, 01:20 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Do you have gas in your house or no?

Old 02-02-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Do you have gas in your house or no?
No gas in the house as far as I know, no.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:08 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
If you don’t mind me asking Who are you thinking of using ? And what’s the cost you’ve been quoted ? I’m looking into converting now.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
If you don’t mind me asking Who are you thinking of using ? And what’s the cost you’ve been quoted ? I’m looking into converting now.
I have just started thinking of doing this so I haven't started researching or asking companies for quotes. I want to see what I'm getting myself into with the unpermitted basement first.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valethor View Post
So from your experience does that inspector from the plumbing dept look at things like finished basements or is it not that type of inspector?
They are all different. Each inspector just did what they needed to do and left. Mine situation was new construction there wasn’t any issues of non permitted work. When I closed my pool in old house. They 600lb inspector wanted to walk through my house to yard cause it was shorter. I told him no and made him walk around. Wasn’t letting him in my house. He has to look at dirt in the yard that already had grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: