Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 06:06 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,427,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
I've been hearing that gunite pool is not the way to go and prefer fiberglass or liner ones at worst, but avoid gunite due to ongoing maintenance, and possibly hue repair costs if it is due to resurface, not to mention uncomfortable surface.
We had our eyes on a place, but I just learned pool is exactly 20 years old and we can't see it because of winter, but it does not look like the patio was maintained well, outdoor area around bbq is falling apart so I doubt pool was maintained properly. What's the consensus on pool types here for Long Island?
There's nothing wrong with a gunite pool. I actually prefer them. They are more expensive to install, and maintain though. Most pools on LI are vinyl lined. Just makes more sense, as they are only used 6 mos at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 07:08 AM

4,702 posts, read 8,796,731 times
pools are great and I get it that they can be expensive to maintain/repair/whatever. But in your case, I would focus on getting the best possible house. The individual pool situation at these houses would be secondary.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:46 AM

450 posts, read 392,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
pools are great and I get it that they can be expensive to maintain/repair/whatever. But in your case, I would focus on getting the best possible house. The individual pool situation at these houses would be secondary.

Thanks, we also don't want to sacrifice the house just because of pool.
Pool is one of our priorities, personally I don't mind but wife really wants one and I don't know how else to convince anymore.. My original argument was that I would take her on nice vacation or subscribe to country club instead of paying for a pool upfront and then monthly maintenence. Now with covid this changed obviously.

Gunite pool might be nice but it seems like it has more cons than pros in long Island.
Algea growth, surface roughness, acid wash, resurface, unable to heat easily, not compatible with salt and more..
I think I will try to look for fiberglass which seems most durable and then vinyl liner ones.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:26 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,125,642 times
Pools are like boats.

Anyway, both types of pools kinda equal out when you look at the pros and cons.
The biggest issue is the install. Gunite is normally more money.
Don’t chicken out on a home because it has a gunite pool. If it’s holding water, it’s fine.
Both need the same normal maintenance.
Gunite just needs a little more attention to the hardness level.
Vinyl you can kinda skimp a little bit you didn’t hear that from me.
Vinyl will need a liner replaced every so many years.
Gunite will need to be resurfaced every so many years.
Maintain the pool properly and you may get decades of use before needing any major attention.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:31 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,959,417 times
No expert on pools, for that matter, not an expert on boats.

From my personal experience re: boats 'All boats leak.' Re: this fact: please see 'Don't Panic' ( also please see 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'.

Don't panic.

Quote:
"There's always a defect, always a slow drip, somewhere. Every plan, every organization, every venture has a glitch.

The question isn't, "is this perfect?" The question is, "will this get me there?"

Sometimes we make the mistake of ignoring the big leaks, the ones that threaten our journey.

More often, though, we're so busy fixing tiny leaks that we get distracted from the real goal, which is to go somewhere."
https://seths.blog/2013/03/all-boats-leak/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island