Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 06:31 AM

20,236 posts, read 20,998,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The online dictionary defines midget as “an extremely or unusually small person” and seems to suggest that ‘dwarf’ and ‘Pygmy’, on the other hand, are offensive terms. No mention of munchkin or leprechaun as offensive terms. I always thought ‘wee folk’ or ‘little person’ was a bit condescending.

As far as Cuomo is concerned, a TV commenter (who blames the Covid deaths of her in-laws in in nursing homes on Cuomo) notes that Cuomo getting tossed/resigning over sexual harassment is like Capone getting ultimately jailed for tax evasion.
Hey, they eventually got Gotti. So...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 08:00 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,197,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Horizontally challenged? I would think dwarf would be offensive in this day and age, no?
Wait, how’d we go from Cuomo to people who are not as tall as others?
Yes, dwarf is not the preferred term of little person. I brought the dwarf reference up to try to explain the difference.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:14 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,197,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The online dictionary defines midget as “an extremely or unusually small person” and seems to suggest that ‘dwarf’ and ‘Pygmy’, on the other hand, are offensive terms. No mention of munchkin or leprechaun as offensive terms. I always thought ‘wee folk’ or ‘little person’ was a bit condescending.

As far as Cuomo is concerned, a TV commenter (who blames the Covid deaths of her in-laws in nursing homes on Cuomo) notes that Cuomo getting tossed/resigning over sexual harassment is like Capone getting ultimately jailed for tax evasion.
You will just have to take my word having been not only a personal friend of a little person,( who as I indicated is no longer with us,) but also a volunteer with the disabled population that included many little people. The real difference is in proportion ratios of body to limbs and head, whereas the midget were just very small in stature, they are proportional, while the dwarfs are not.

As for Cuomo, working with he disabled population as I did, I can unequivocally tell you that Mario and Matilde were genuinely caring people, having come to the NYS Games for the Physically Challenged initially as the Gov and his wife. However, little know fact, after the first year they returned to visit many times with no PR, no photo op, just to meet and mingle with the kids. He is not his father.

Note: the above statement is not a comment on his Mario's politics, I don't comment on that stuff. I am simply commenting on a snippet of time that he was extremely genuine and did not do it for recognition.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:20 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,421,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I don't understand these idiots with sexual harassment. Especially these days with all the awareness, and women actually standing up. What a low life Cuomo is.
Why did it take them years to bring it to light? And also ... I find it odd Lindsey Boylan continued to work with him for 2 years after the incident. I’d have resigned immediately.

Something is fishy

Old 03-02-2021, 08:26 AM

8,555 posts, read 4,807,111 times
Lol @ this thread.

Thanks for the laughs, folks.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:58 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,355,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Anyway, Cuomo goes for the hat trick...3rd accuser comes forward...

I think you're just jealous he didn't try to kiss you.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:10 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,418,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Why did it take them years to bring it to light? And also ... I find it odd Lindsey Boylan continued to work with him for 2 years after the incident. I’d have resigned immediately.

Something is fishy
They put up with it, to keep their job. Simple as that. I'm guessing growing up as a woman,you sort of expect this nonsense.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
They put up with it, to keep their job. Simple as that. I'm guessing growing up as a woman,you sort of expect this nonsense.
But if she chose to ‘put up with it’ thats on her. It obv wasnt as bad as she made it out to be

Old 03-02-2021, 09:46 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,355,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But if she chose to ‘put up with it’ thats on her. It obv wasnt as bad as she made it out to be

Doesn't matter how bad or less bad it was. You do NOT do that in the workplace, regardless of who it is.

She chose to put up with it but that does NOT make it any better. He still shouldn't have done that. And yes she has the right to report it. That is sexual harassment.

Why is this coming out now? Look at the trend. Even the Dems want him out. My opinion is they want their style person in there.

If Cuomo does resign, then Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul will become governor, but doubt she would be elected in 2022.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Doesn't matter how bad or less bad it was. You do NOT do that in the workplace, regardless of who it is.

She chose to put up with it but that does NOT make it any better. He still shouldn't have done that. And yes she has the right to report it. That is sexual harassment.

Why is this coming out now? Look at the trend. Even the Dems want him out. My opinion is they want their style person in there.

If Cuomo does resign, then Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul will become governor, but doubt she would be elected in 2022.
I agree with you & i believe we do have to believe women but the timing is just so odd on it. I have never been harrassed but if I had been, I would report it right away. Womens dignities are more important than a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island