Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 08:55 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Thanks, Curran. That's what happens when you vote for a Democrat.
I’m no fan of the taxation theft party. But the system in Nassau was broken way before Curran. I grieved every year got my assessment down to 317k my home sold for well more than double that. Similar homes where paying 16k and I was paying 12k. I can assure my home was nicer than most as my house was one of the most expensive 3br splits sold in 2018. The phase in showed in 5 years taxes will 16.5k not counting for hikes and the homes that where paying 16k will still be 16. It will all even out in the end.

It’s still BS that new homes get killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 09:00 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I’m no fan of the taxation theft party. But the system in Nassau was broken way before Curran. I grieved every year got my assessment down to 317k my home sold for well more than double that. Similar homes where paying 16k and I was paying 12k. I can assure my home was nicer than most as my house was one of the most expensive 3br splits sold in 2018. The phase in showed in 5 years taxes will 16.5k not counting for hikes and the homes that where paying 16k will still be 16. It will all even out in the end.

So you need 2 loans then. One for the mortgage on the house and the other to pay the taxes.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post

Not picking on the town you're in but are you in an upscale town that would warrant 12k to 16k in taxes? Or is most of that going to the school? Not sure how Nassau does the tax bill with home and school separate or lumped together.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Not picking on the town you're in but are you in an upscale town that would warrant 12k to 16k in taxes? Or is most of that going to the school? Not sure how Nassau does the tax bill with home and school separate or lumped together.
12 to 16k in nassau is pretty average and absolutely not an upscale tax rate. Most goes to the school, then you have county taxes as well, and if you are in a village, then village property tax on top.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
12 to 16k in nassau is pretty average and absolutely not an upscale tax rate. Most goes to the school, then you have county taxes as well, and if you are in a village, then village property tax on top.

Thanks for the info. To me that is a ridiculous tax rate.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
LI has some of the best schools in the country, hence the high taxes.

Want cheap taxes? Watch school quality go down

Old 03-02-2021, 09:15 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

We have some good schools but there are also plenty of good schools elsewhere that don't pay these insane taxes. Also look at areas like Hempstead, their schools are TERRIBLE yet they still pay insane property tax rates.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
The house was in Plainview. Most of it was school taxes, Town of oyster bay was healthy chunk also, the county portion was minimal.

You have 4 tax bills a year in Nassau 2 school 2 general. General is county/township combined.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:06 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:

No, LI has some of the most overpaid teachers in the country, hence the high taxes.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:

That's not really true, Great Neck and Manhasset have the lowest tax rates in Nassau and are 2 of the top districts. Cold spring Harbor and Half Hollow Hills have 2 of the lowest tax rates in Suffolk and are top districts also. These 4 districts all have enough commercial tax base to offset the homeowners responsibility.

Hicksville, Island Trees, Hauppauge, Northport(pp increase will hurt) all have extremely low rates also. Levittown has sky high taxes, nothing wrong with there schools, they aren't considered a top district. There really is no correlation to the amount of school taxes paid and the quality of the district. Of course the standard home in CSH and Manhasset will have higher taxes than Levittown. That's because the houses are substantially larger and sit on large lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island