Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 07:45 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,048,330 times

Advertisements

Now this is interesting...

"Employees of Tate’s Bake Shop in Southampton say management at the cookie company is doing everything in its power to prevent workers from unionizing. That includes hiring an anti-union consultant who has told the mostly undocumented workforce of about 450 employees that if they unionize, they will get fired or worse--deported."

https://gothamist.com/food/undocumen...ead-union-vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 07:47 PM

5,295 posts, read 4,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Now this is interesting...

"Employees of Tate’s Bake Shop in Southampton say management at the cookie company is doing everything in its power to prevent workers from unionizing. That includes hiring an anti-union consultant who has told the mostly undocumented workforce of about 450 employees that if they unionize, they will get fired or worse--deported."

https://gothamist.com/food/undocumen...ead-union-vote
They shouldn’t be working in the first place. And Tate should be heavily fined for employing them.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
They shouldn’t be working in the first place. And Tate should be heavily fined for employing them.
Agreed. But let's face the fact because it is a fact; if places didn't hire illegals tons of restaurants, hospitality, bars, landscaping, construction, food service (including delivery), etc.. would all simply shut down.

Everyone knows that these places have a business model that depends upon illegal labor, paid off the books usually. This and or at minimum wage (if not below) which often can be less than scale.

If the IRS ever started auditing just a fraction of certain businesses for unpaid employee payroll taxes you'd see a wave of bankruptcies and maybe suicides.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 03-11-2021 at 08:03 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Agreed. But let's face the fact because it is a fact; if places didn't hire illegals tons of restaurants, hospitality, bars, landscaping, construction, food service (including delivery), etc.. would all simply shut down.

Everyone knows that these places have a business model that depends upon illegal labor (paid off the books usually), or at lower than scale wages.

If the IRS ever started auditing just a fraction of certain businesses for unpaid employee payroll taxes you'd see a wave of bankruptcies and maybe suicides.
No doubt.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
No doubt.
I left out the other fact, tons of wives and mothers would have to stay home and take care of their own house and children.

Not all of them are who you think either; tons of so called "liberal, progressive,democrat" have a nanny (sometimes two) and house cleaner (maid), all are often illegals and paid off the books at rates when worked out are way below minimum or scale.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I left out the other fact, tons of wives and mothers would have to stay home and take care of their own house and children.

Not all of them are who you think either; tons of so called "liberal, progressive,democrat" have a nanny (sometimes two) and house cleaner (maid), all are often illegals and paid off the books at rates when worked out are way below minimum or scale.
That I have zero sympathy for. There are plenty of legal childcare alternatives. Hiring an illegal for slave wages shouldn’t be one of them.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:03 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,412,424 times
This talk of hiring law breaking(illegal) employees to watch your children is comical. Who the Moderator cut: crude language removed do this? Yes i see it all the time, it just is shocking.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-12-2021 at 09:02 AM..

Old 03-12-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
This talk of hiring law breaking(illegal) employees to watch your children is comical. Who would do this? Yes i see it all the time, it just is shocking.
Like I said, not everyone can afford a professional child minder.

They pay these immigrant women $17-$18 hour plus some bennies, but let's face it you can get same or better compensation working at Starbucks.

Family has to be well off like Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge to afford top shelf child care. Otherwise numbers just don't work for many families. If the wife is only earning $70k paying between $38k to $40k per year for child care sort of takes away from purpose of that second income.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-12-2021 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-12-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Like I said, not everyone can afford a professional child minder.

They pay these immigrant women $17-$18 hour plus some bennies, but let's face it you can get same or better compensation working at Starbucks.

Family has to be well off like Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge to afford top shelf child care. Otherwise numbers just don't work for many families. If the wife is only earning $70k paying between $38k to $40k per year for child care sort of takes away from purpose of that second income.
What? There are things called “day cares” and “preschools” that the vast, vast majority of the population uses for child care. Some are even free or subsidized by the government for those who can’t afford them. And if you can afford 17-18 an hour for an illegal then you can afford day care.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:40 AM

34,114 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Truth is everybody will read this and still go eat out and not give 2 ----s about who's washing the dishes in the back so let's be honest (indignant American pride). I think I'm going to get a T-shirt that says, "Me and only me" with the stars & stripes underneath

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island