Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,672 times

Advertisements

This old Caldor building:

at the intersection of 101 and Montauk Highway is gone, to be replaced by Lowe's later this year (or early next year). There's still a bunch of empty buildings in East Patchogue (Waldbaum's, Plaza Theater, Ace TrueValue, Floral Fantasyland) but it's a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,256 times
Great. I grew up near there and I agree that it is an eyesore.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,985 times
A friend of mine just moved there, saying it is a very desirable area. Is that true?

Old 05-08-2008, 05:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Patchogue

For those who may not be familiar with East Patchogue:

East Patchogue is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the southwest part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the south-center part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Patchogue in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Medford; on the east by the Hamlet of North Bellport and the Village of Bellport; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Patchogue and the Hamlet of North Patchogue.

East Patchogue is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in East Patchogue have a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 05-08-2008, 06:03 PM

It think it all depends on the neighborhood. There are some nice neighborhoods in East Patchogue off of South Country Road. In Patchogue, the neighborhoods off of Roe Blvd are rather nice. I myself prefer Brookhaven Hamlet, a few miles east of East Patchogue. Brookhaven Hamlet has winding roads, lots of trees, and the waterfront nearby. I feels more country like to me. Next to Brookhaven Hamlet is the charming village of Bellport (reminds me of a new england village). The portion of Bellport around and to the south of S. Country Road has picket fences, well kept houses and the waterfront.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
Your right, they both are beautiful. But the downside is the schools. Not really a walk in the park. Most of the south Bellport residents send their kids to private schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
It think it all depends on the neighborhood. There are some nice neighborhoods in East Patchogue off of South Country Road. In Patchogue, the neighborhoods off of Roe Blvd are rather nice. I myself prefer Brookhaven Hamlet, a few miles east of East Patchogue. Brookhaven Hamlet has winding roads, lots of trees, and the waterfront nearby. I feels more country like to me. Next to Brookhaven Hamlet is the charming village of Bellport (reminds me of a new england village). The portion of Bellport around and to the south of S. Country Road has picket fences, well kept houses and the waterfront.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:44 PM

I checked the school scores at greatschools.net and you are right. The test scores for the Patchogue-Medford have improved in recent years and are much better than I thought. What is it that you are looking for when choosing a neighborhood?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 PM

Please, please don't jump on me when I ask this question. I am merely asking for an answer, not looking to cite fights:

I always was under the impression that Patchogue Medford had gang related issues, a lot of shootings. Am I completely off base? If so, sorry in advance.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 PM

I'm not aware of any shootings but I only visit family in Patchogue village once or twice a month. Through the newspaper, I read about shootings and arrests in north Bellport, an area east of East Patchogue between montauk hwy and sunrise hwy.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 PM

Maybe I got confused between Patchogue and Bellport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island