Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 12:21 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,278,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Money isnt an issue for us. We have plenty of it. I specifically stated that in my post.
No offense, you said you are a nassau girl, if $$ is no issue there is endless waterfront homes in Nassau that can be had w/ ease for 850k-1.5m w/o even looking hard. 1.5+ has even more inventory.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 02:53 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
No offense, you said you are a nassau girl, if $$ is no issue there is endless waterfront homes in Nassau that can be had w/ ease for 850k-1.5m w/o even looking hard. 1.5+ has even more inventory.
Not much on the market right now that we like but yeah we’re also looking for open water feel, not like a canal. There are other contenders we’re looking @. There seems to be a lot in AH so thats why I asked

Old 03-24-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Amity Harbor is fine. A nice, safe area. As long as you take into account that if you ever do have kids you will have to pay for private school, you will be fine there.
Im almost into my 40’s. Doubt i’ll have a kid lol. Thanks a-lot. Yup I heard about the schools

Old 03-25-2021, 01:03 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,104,976 times
Quote:
Is village of Amityville the same thing as Amityville Harbor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
Amity Harbor is not part of the incorporated Village of Amityville. It is the peninsula south of 27A between Buchanan Ave and Baylawn Ave. While solidly middle class, it is a far cry from being upper middle class.
As Paperman says, Amity Harbor is not part of the Village of Amityville. Amity Harbor is basically a section of Copiague. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copiague,_New_York

If you are going east on Montauk Highway (Merrick Rd) Amityville basically ends at the Stop and Shop and Amity Harbor (Copiague) begins after you cross the creek. On the southside of Montauk you will see a marina (Amity Harbor Marina) and after that you will see a few side blocks with some stores on them - that is Amity Harbor.

Old 03-27-2021, 05:07 PM

352 posts, read 383,475 times
Does the schools thing keep home prices down?
What about the very south-eastern most part of Massapequa, bordering the County line? I believe that is Amityville schools, but Nassau County/Town of Oyster Bay. How would homes, prices, taxes and general neighborhood there compare with Amity Harbor?

Old 03-27-2021, 05:36 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Anyone looking to buy on the water and not plan on raising the house to FEMA code is playing with fire. Besides that most of the older houses need new foundations anyway.

Most people are surprised to discover the policy limits on the policies sold through the NFIP, as well. Which essentially means on LI you have to go private.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:59 PM

Does Amityville Harbor flood a lot? Like the way Lindenhurst does?

The AH houses have been on the market for quite some time.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:08 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Quote:
Does Amityville Harbor flood a lot? Like the way Lindenhurst does?

The AH houses have been on the market for quite some time.
The problem is that a lot of HO companies won't write within "X" miles of the water. Doesn't matter what kind of water or if you're up on a bluff, they won't do it.

As far as Amityville flood potential I would have your realtor ask the sellers, they HAVE to disclose IF YOU ASK. There's a lot of streets on the south shore that flood in a heavy rain, so check into it.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,600 times
I have lived in Amity Harbor for several years, and I have friends that lived here longer. I'm on the water, canal. I did not have an issue with the school district as my kids are grown. The school district IS Copiague with an Amityville zip, 11701. Amity Harbor is NOT part of the Incorporated Village of Amityville, so there are NO extra Village taxes. Some of the naysayers like to say it's part of Copiague. The same can be said for The Venice section of Lindenhurst, Lindy zip, 11757, Copiague schools. Boundaries have to start and stop somewhere. I'd much rather be south of Montauk Hwy and on the water, than North... Someone mentioned middle class VS. upper middle class. You'll get that anywhere. Take a ride up and down Ketcham Ave....

As far as flooding,,, do yourself a favor and see for yourself during a full moon/ steady Northeast wind/ storm tide. You'll find that most streets to the west of Coolidge will flood on the western ends heading easterly back towards Coolidge. The further south you go, past Jefferson, onto Western Concourse, it gets dramatically worse. Do your due diligence.

I do not second guess where I live. I enjoy walking out of my bedroom sliding patio doors, onto my deck, then head towards my dock. I'll jump onto either of my two boats and enjoy what's basically an extension of my backyard,,, meaning, the BAY.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassaucounty28 View Post
Yes, the village of Amityville is the same as Amityville Harbor. However the shady part of Amityville is this complete separate hamlet called North Amityville and the only reason they get lumped together all the time is because they share the same zip code and schools. If you are going for a house in Amityville Harbor and are planning to stay forever and don't have kids, I would say go for it as Amityville Harbor is a nice area and is mainly upper middle class. You also have the flood insurance so I think you should be fine. Just like nassau2suffolk said though, be aware of the market at this time. Anyway, good luck with your move
Amity harbor is not the same town as Amityville village
Amity harbor is a hamlet of copiague, in the town of copiague
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island