Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:58 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times

Advertisements

I used to have National Grid and the heating costs were completely outrageous. The rent cost $600 a month, the utilities (through NG, which included electric) were sometimes over $500 a month with brand new everything and the thermostat set at no more than 70, ever, in a tiny little 2 bedroom apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
They are nice. But there are some negatives...
1) Doesnt heat the whole home evenly
2) Have to haul those darn pellets from the pile(which is usually outside) Brrrr.
3) Cannot let it run while on vacation for a week.

Other than that the fuel is CHEAP! And its pretty efficient. Great as a supplemental heating unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherbearof4 View Post
Get a wood pellet stove, they are great!

Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Depends on the window and doors, speaking only for my situation.

We have a huge 8x10 front window that's 80+ years old, absolutely beautiful, but only a single panes of glass. I can't get anything remotely as beautiful to replace it. I use very heavy curtains on the window to mitigate heat loss.

We replaced the two old front doors, French wood, true divided lights and the temperature difference in the rooms the doorways were in was remarkable.

Bear in mind my home is an old summer home converted to year round use; the original owners were more concerned with keeping cool than keeping warm
Those houses typically have alot of charm but very drafty and little insulation. Best to try to prevent air penetration first, makes the home feel much warmer. In your situation, the new doors were better at preventing both convective and conductive heat loss.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:32 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Wholesale heating oil prices traded 12-62/100¢ a gallon higher today, closing at a new life-of-market high of $3.63-60/100 a gallon.

Check it out here:
futuresource.com | Futures & Commodities Custom Quotes

Led by China and India, worldwide demand for diesel fuel (heating oil and diesel come from the same crude oil distillate) remains greater than the available supply (worldwide shortage of refinery capacity), as well as concern over the stability of crude oil supplies (latest supply concern is Lebanon).

Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Every morning I tune in the radio and thats the first thing I hear..."Light crude oil sets a new high record today". Then I see the gas station attendants out changing their prices. Then I get sick to my stomach. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Wholesale heating oil prices traded 12-62/100¢ a gallon higher today, closing at a new life-of-market high of $3.63-60/100 a gallon.

Check it out here:
futuresource.com | Futures & Commodities Custom Quotes

Led by China and India, worldwide demand for diesel fuel (heating oil and diesel come from the same crude oil distillate) remains greater than the available supply (worldwide shortage of refinery capacity), as well as concern over the stability of crude oil supplies (latest supply concern is Lebanon).

Old 05-09-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Every morning I tune in the radio and thats the first thing I hear..."Light crude oil sets a new high record today". Then I see the gas station attendants out changing their prices. Then I get sick to my stomach. lol.
Just like the MSM's false assumption that a place is located in the community named in that place's mailing address, the price of crude oil does not determine the price of gasoline, heating oil and other distillates; rather, it's the price of gasoline, heating oil and other distillates that determines the price of crude oil.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:02 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,366 times
Walter, why are you so upset with people confusing hamlets, villages, townships? You've posted about it twice today. I just really don't think people have the time to constantly look up maps on a daily basis to follow those yellow lines. Not trying to start anything with you at all, but we're human.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 05-09-2008 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Walter, why are you so upset with people confusing hamlets, villages, townships? You've posted about it twice today. I just really don't think people have the time to constantly look up maps on a daily basis what is what. Not trying to start anything with you at all, but we're human.

Failure to properly understand the correct local geography is the underlying reason why people do not understand how they are governed and taxed://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Those houses typically have alot of charm but very drafty and little insulation. Best to try to prevent air penetration first, makes the home feel much warmer. In your situation, the new doors were better at preventing both convective and conductive heat loss.
Prior to moving in, the house was gutted, insulation, wiring, plumbing brought up to code. We saved all the old windows, doors and trim so that the house would look as original as possible.

It's the great big window that's a real chiller. When the house was converted to year round in the 50's, they installed storm panels over the double hungs which helps tremendously. The big window is unaddressable without creating permanent damage.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,366 times
Seeing as we have a huge single pane window, I'm wondering if we should take the oportunity to replace sheetrock and insulation. Take it room by room. We're planning on replacing base mouldings and installing crown, so maybe now is the time to just do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island