Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 06:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,166,892 times

Advertisements

I just drove from Cape May to Long Island and NJ roads were not even close to being as pot hole riddled as Ny’s. They have the same winters as here and the same tax burden but they get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 06:37 PM

297 posts, read 133,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
You also have mentioned all the jobs it would create, but think NOTHING of the thousands of jobs that were destroyed in one day. Hey, as long as it's not my family, they're expendable right? Growth is pain!!
!
I'd just like to point out, the future is coming whether we like it or not.

Type writers vs computers
Landline vs cellphones
film vs digital cameras
traveling by boat vs airplane
regular mail vs email
Horse buggy vs cars
Regular lightbulbs vs LED light bulbs.

So you definitely use a computer, email, and possibly a cell phone since you are on the forum. What about all those jobs that were lost? IE the operator that connected you to the number you were calling? Because they no longer paid for operators, cost dropped, your bills were lowered. You eventually spent your money to buy a new car, use gas that funded new roads to be built that created new jobs. Actually many.

You are too short sighted if you focus on jobs lost and actually believe Biden is doing this because he doesn't care. It is because he cares, he made it a mainstream focus of his first 100 days. It is a different means to the same goal. Sorry you disagree but mainly because you can't even acknowledge this is a possibility.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I just drove from Cape May to Long Island and NJ roads were not even close to being as pot hole riddled as Ny’s. They have the same winters as here and the same tax burden but they get it done.
Cape may is GSP south, which is likely state funded. Interstates are partially federally funded. So I495 is partially funded by the gas tax but maintained by the State? Pretty sure that is how it works.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:42 PM

690 posts, read 585,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
This! Yes!! Same with CT, and they have way worse winters than us. These people don't seem to get it.

You can nitpick what highway is used all you want ugggs. We have a beach home in southern NJ, which to which I have the privilege of using all different federal, state, county, and town roads. Roads are immaculate. There is no comparison. You clearly don't leave NY much, such a shame. To each their own.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
This! Yes!! Same with CT, and they have way worse winters than us. These people don't seem to get it.

You can nitpick what highway is used all you want ugggs. We have a beach home in southern NJ, which to which I have the privilege of using all different federal, state, county, and town roads. Roads are immaculate. There is no comparison. You clearly don't leave NY much, such a shame. To each their own.
I have traveled the world, Asia, Australia, Europe, Caribbean, South America and have seen how other worlds operate and have even better roads, transportation but they charge way higher taxes and vice versa, then compared it to NYC. Somebody pays to maintain it or doesn't.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:33 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,847 times
Quote:
I was thinking they could tie it in with yearly state inspection? But then, do all states require a state inspection?
guess they will when required by federal law

Old 05-18-2021, 12:33 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,761,572 times
I'm so upset and just need to vent..potholes hampered my vacation. I didn't make it but 3 exits on the LIE before a double blow out.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I'm so upset and just need to vent..potholes hampered my vacation. I didn't make it but 3 exits on the LIE before a double blow out.
Poorly inflated tires, age of tire or bad suspension?

I can understand the front tire blowing out but the rear, as well? Says to me, either one of the three contributed to your issue and it could happen again regardless of the size of the pothole.

I have low profiles, 19's and 22's with 25 or 30 mm sidewalls. Never had a blow out or a tire issue, even though I travel at a fast rate of speed.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:02 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,761,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Poorly inflated tires, age of tire or bad suspension?

I can understand the front tire blowing out but the rear, as well? Says to me, either one of the three contributed to your issue and it could happen again regardless of the size of the pothole.

I have low profiles, 19's and 22's with 25 or 30 mm sidewalls. Never had a blow out or a tire issue, even though I travel at a fast rate of speed.
You must be the Cop who said "what pothole" when he pulled up on me and another person disabled by the same crater.

My car has 3000 miles on it and is brand new. I couldn't see the crater in the HOV lane and BLAM. Today was the first time back on the LIE in that car and I drove 45 MPH in the slow lane so I could avoid the potholes. It was stressful..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island