Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2021, 07:35 AM

107,346 posts, read 109,743,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It takes just as many letters to spell "need for attention" as "conspiracy theory". So... need for attention bunch, you mean.
Some actually believe their own bull

Old 04-05-2021, 02:08 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,175,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup only takes once - just like getting pregnant! LOL

My niece and nephew got it going out one night. Both work from home and got it from a friend they went out with.

My son had to quarantine after a week back at college - one of his suitemates went to hang out in another dorm one night and got it - luckily no one else in the suite got sick.

Spreads fast despite the incubation period they talk about. In both of these cases people were positive within a couple days of the exposure. iInterestingly with my niece and nephew they were sick within two days of exposure. With sons roommate he tested positive but had no symptoms for another 3-4 days. Weird.
On the other hand I’ve been consistently going out and so far nothing. I’m guessing we’ve avoided any spreaders. One of my kids got it, my neighbors got it but it doesn’t seem to spread as first advertised.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I'm an essential worker that traveled into nyc everyday, even during the shutdown, and never got it either. But since there's a vaccine now, why not get it? It's gonna bite you in the butt sooner or later.
I’m somewhere on the list but still waiting, but like I said, I’m not going to wait around to get it.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Most areas shut down after the tristate area got slammed ...it could have been millions more effected seriously...

We got hammered so bad here in nyc ,self included
NYC made some bad moves even when there was evidence of how it spread, especially in nursing homes.

The shutdowns in most places were an over reaction and likely did more harm than good.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:10 PM

19,116 posts, read 14,130,473 times
Sweet! Now I really don't have to spend money in NY ever again.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-06-2021, 04:43 AM

Duuude! Cuomo saved the world!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-06-2021 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-06-2021, 05:41 AM

6,610 posts, read 3,263,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Some actually believe their own bull
Yup......and as my late father told me, about 50 years ago, as he was trying to pass on some of his hard earned wisdom to me, he said, "It's one thing to be a little bit of a BSer, but it's an entirely different situation when you start believing your own BS".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Duuude! Cuomo saved the world!
Yeah.....and HE'D be the first to tell you that he did....

Old 04-08-2021, 03:05 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,800,173 times
I don't understand the resistance for some sort of proof that you've been vaccinated.

When I attended a graduate program at a Long Island college, it was required that you showed proof of the MMR vaccine. For me, that was a problem because I never received the shot. I had the diseases. I had no record of that because it was a thousand years later. No proof, no registration for classes. I ended up having the infirmary draw blood for proof. I see that Rutgers and some other colleges are making proof of vaccination a requirement for in-person learning. When I was an undergrad, kids were contracting mono. I was lucky to not get it. Students had to drop out or they lost a lot of time by missing classes.

When you travel to some tropical climates you need a VISA with proof of vaccinations for yellow fever and a bunch of others. You can't enter certain South American and Asian countries without it. For international travel, I welcome it.

The UK and Israel already have a green passport.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:13 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,266,582 times
The real problem is not the vaccine record, although for some that truly is where it ends. The problem is it is being tied into the ID and voting hot issue. Not as in you need it to vote. Rather, you don’t need to provide ID to vote so therefore the vaccine ID should not be allowed either.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,455,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't understand the resistance for some sort of proof that you've been vaccinated.

When I attended a graduate program at a Long Island college, it was required that you showed proof of the MMR vaccine. For me, that was a problem because I never received the shot. I had the diseases. I had no record of that because it was a thousand years later. No proof, no registration for classes. I ended up having the infirmary draw blood for proof. I see that Rutgers and some other colleges are making proof of vaccination a requirement for in-person learning. When I was an undergrad, kids were contracting mono. I was lucky to not get it. Students had to drop out or they lost a lot of time by missing classes.

When you travel to some tropical climates you need a VISA with proof of vaccinations for yellow fever and a bunch of others. You can't enter certain South American and Asian countries without it. For international travel, I welcome it.

The UK and Israel already have a green passport.
I dont understand the resistance either. I have the yellow fever vaccine also. Ive been asked to show it for travel. It’s not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island