Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 06:17 AM

874 posts, read 731,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
It’s hilarious to watch this fiscal and tax system collapse here in Long Island as we speak.

They can only raise taxes by the annual federal inflation amount which is like ten times smaller than actual inflation.

The law is literally preventing them from raising taxes 2000 a year. They can only raise is a certain amount but even that certain amount isn’t enough for them to get what they need to maintain their inflation resistant salaries.

A cop making 150k now made 145k last year let’s say but housing rose by a 100k. lMAO. What happens now? This cop questions his choices and realizes he has to either live with mom or move to Kentucky where they pay them a third. Lmao. This is going to be wayyy too funny.

Same thing with LiRR. They can raise those monthly passes all they want if people ain’t taking it that’s not our problem. Seems like this recession is doing the mooches big time pig time.

the LIRR and MTA are criminals

all the tolls they raise only goes to their pension systems

I say let them go bankrupt, stop giving them tax payer money to survive!

if they went out of business a new company can take over with no debts and start all over

thats what they need to do fire everyone and start all over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 12:29 PM

82 posts, read 40,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Most of this will be used to line the pockets of political donors via consultants, useless technology, new tracks, diversity/inclusion scams, etc. Zero dollars will go to tax relief. Zero dollars will go to teacher salaries/benefits. It’ll be gone in the blink of an eye with no one you know getting anything out of it.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Interlude again."

Old 04-15-2021, 06:28 PM

well it looks like someone finally realized that if the schools are getting billions, lower taxes when?

lower taxes NOW!

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ach-1.50216384

Nassau County and state officials are calling on Long Island school districts to limit property tax increases after receiving an additional $417 million in state aid.

Long Beach school district officials announced Thursday they would freeze property taxes in the 2021-22 budget, erasing a 0.83% increase of $800,000, after the district received an additional $1.7 million in state aid.

Sen. Todd Kaminsky (D-Long Beach), Sen. Kevin Thomas (D-Levittown) and Nassau County Executive Laura Curran called on Long Island’s 125 school districts to reexamine their budgets to see what tax levies they need in light of the state aid.
"As taxpayers, we realize Long Island needs to be more affordable and tax relief is a must. For too long those goals have been competing and mutually exclusive, but they're not. The math can be simple," Kaminsky said. "The more state aid we secure from Albany the less taxpayers should be called on to shoulder the burden. Now it is time for school districts to do their part and reconsider property tax increases slated to be voted on next month."

Old 04-20-2021, 06:43 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
well it looks like someone finally realized that if the schools are getting billions, lower taxes when?

lower taxes NOW!

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ach-1.50216384

Nassau County and state officials are calling on Long Island school districts to limit property tax increases after receiving an additional $417 million in state aid.

Long Beach school district officials announced Thursday they would freeze property taxes in the 2021-22 budget, erasing a 0.83% increase of $800,000, after the district received an additional $1.7 million in state aid.

Sen. Todd Kaminsky (D-Long Beach), Sen. Kevin Thomas (D-Levittown) and Nassau County Executive Laura Curran called on Long Island’s 125 school districts to reexamine their budgets to see what tax levies they need in light of the state aid.
"As taxpayers, we realize Long Island needs to be more affordable and tax relief is a must. For too long those goals have been competing and mutually exclusive, but they're not. The math can be simple," Kaminsky said. "The more state aid we secure from Albany the less taxpayers should be called on to shoulder the burden. Now it is time for school districts to do their part and reconsider property tax increases slated to be voted on next month."
Any one can "call on" another to do something. Actually getting these districts to do anything is a totally different story.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:28 AM

1,300 posts, read 581,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Any one can "call on" another to do something. Actually getting these districts to do anything is a totally different story.
It's what our local governments do best... have a press conference and tell someone else what they should be doing. The appearance of work without actually having to do it, plus free publicity.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:08 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,249,359 times
I read today that many Long Island school districts will be enhancing summer programs (Commack for example will expand theirs from "hundreds to thousands of students" with a free lunch provided).
I have lived in Commack for thirty years, and believe me most of the students in our district are not in need of a free lunch (as witnessed by the moms picking them up in brand new Mercedes, Audis, BMW etc.)
One concern - once this starts, it will be an expectation going forward. In future years , there will be no pandemic aid going to the school districts, but full day "summer camps", with free transportation and lunch, will be on the backs of the taxpayers.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I read today that many Long Island school districts will be enhancing summer programs (Commack for example will expand theirs from "hundreds to thousands of students" with a free lunch provided).
I have lived in Commack for thirty years, and believe me most of the students in our district are not in need of a free lunch (as witnessed by the moms picking them up in brand new Mercedes, Audis, BMW etc.)
One concern - once this starts, it will be an expectation going forward. In future years , there will be no pandemic aid going to the school districts, but full day "summer camps", with free transportation and lunch, will be on the backs of the taxpayers.

Why dont they give some money back? And yes the free lunch thing is a scam. they will just use to to funnel money

Old 04-27-2021, 12:39 PM

2,694 posts, read 2,351,557 times
Quote:
You guys have a horrific tax rate in Commack also. Highest school tax rate in Town of Huntington tied with Elwood. Those cars are all probably a lease front 3k down and $350 month gets you one. I'm sure a few kids qualify and they probably live in the homeless shelter or the apartments that the county puts people in for free. Down the line this will just be another tax hoke to pay for this crap.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:14 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,836,515 times
Quote:
FYI, 13% of Commack students are listed as "economically disadvantaged" meaning they are on some kind of assistance, including free and/or reduced lunch. LI's affluence has a lot of smoke and mirrors. Lots of overpaid cops, teachers and civil servants who think they are Gates and Bezos cause they can lease a little beamer for $350/mo.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:16 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,836,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You guys have a horrific tax rate in Commack also. Highest school tax rate in Town of Huntington tied with Elwood. Those cars are all probably a lease front 3k down and $350 month gets you one. I'm sure a few kids qualify and they probably live in the homeless shelter or the apartments that the county puts people in for free. Down the line this will just be another tax hoke to pay for this crap.
haha, I swear I used that same $350/mo lease line before reading your post! lmfao! Guess we're on the same wavelength on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island