Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 03:13 PM

20,325 posts, read 21,070,057 times

Advertisements

The obsession with large gawdy homes baffles me.
When it’s not a necessity of course.
You got 10 kids, you need a bigger house, but wanting a massive home just for the sake of having a massive home is cuckoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 10:22 AM

853 posts, read 1,447,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
I'm soooo frustrated and disgusted with what's happening here on the island. I haven't been on this site in awhile, but recently came back. My husband, our son and I are looking for a home here and it's like covid completely threw a wrench into everything that we can no longer afford a home in our own backyard.

We're currently living in our 1bdrm Co Op here in E. Rockaway... 2 adults, our 19 month old son and 2 cats...We had our son and got married in summer 2019 and our plan was to stay put for a year to save more money and then Covid hit. We got our pre-approval letter in October and have been trying to search since then and it's pathetic. Both my husband and I are from Cedarhurst/East Rockaway and we're trying to find a home in this vicinity because both of our families are here and we rely on them for childcare. I'm now WFH indefinitely and my husband is now commuting into the city.

It's disgusting to see what you're getting now for your money. $500k for a bungalow sized home that needs work with $12K + in taxes? God, I wish I could convince our families to move out of state. It's painful knowing that we are essentially being pushed out of our own backyards because it's become so unaffordable here.

No one has a crystal ball, but I keep reading mixed information about the housing market here - some say it will continue to go up, some say prices will plateau come the summer...some say we're in for a depression within the next 2-3 years because many people will start defaulting on their mortgages that there will be an abundance of foreclosures. It's so sad because we've worked so hard to save our money to buy a home for our family and we feel stuck.

Sorry for the moaning and groaning, folks.
Unless you've got a police, NYC firefighter, or teacher job, MOVE! The home prices/taxes on Long Island do not get better.... EVER! Why let your children grow up on Long Island and get caught up in the same mess? Like you, they'll build friendships, connections, and establish families here that they'll be hard-pressed to leave when they grow up, forever complaining about taxes, home prices, and lack of job opportunities.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:55 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The obsession with large gawdy homes baffles me.
When it’s not a necessity of course.
You got 10 kids, you need a bigger house, but wanting a massive home just for the sake of having a massive home is cuckoo.
I always marvel at the Hollywood folks who have homes the size of an aircraft carrier. I think to myself, how much space does a family need? I grew up with two families of 8 kids, one next door and the other 3 doors away. They lived in the same Cape Cod house we did. We all made it.

Yes, if you can afford a larger home it is a nice perk, but these huge homes are mind boggling to me.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:55 AM

20,325 posts, read 21,070,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I always marvel at the Hollywood folks who have homes the size of an aircraft carrier. I think to myself, how much space does a family need? I grew up with two families of 8 kids, one next door and the other 3 doors away. They lived in the same Cape Cod house we did. We all made it.

Yes, if you can afford a larger home it is a nice perk, but these huge homes are mind boggling to me.
I guess if you’re loaded and feel the need to be a big shot it makes sense.
Still seems dumb unless you actually have a need for the space, like having a large family or whatever.
Personally, I prefer property over structure. Having land and privacy is priceless for me.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:01 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,169,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What people say in their 60s and what happens in the next decades are two entirely different things. Are you looking for a bigger house to take them in, or have that option just in case? DH and I have the perspective of seeing how people start to slide as they age - even people in good health like his parents and mind. But things are no where near what they were in their 60s to what they are now in their late 80s and early 90s.

And even though my dad could afford it he got sick of the taxes once they got over $10K a year. Retirement paired with longevity can change outlooks.

But the idea that people - especially people with kids - should work 2-3 jobs just to live on LI is insane. THere's no point in doing that anywhere, actually.
But the bagels, pizza and beach make it all worth it.

Long Island has been more expensive than the norm since at least the late 80s, but for the life of me I can’t remember anybody taking less money than they were offered for their homes.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,438,631 times
Hey Ragazza! Check yr messages

Old 04-14-2021, 01:40 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,066,094 times
A lot of people have no choice but to move out of LI. And lot moved to NEPA specifically Stroudsburg. I was just there. It is a nice town. The towns around like Tannersville are also nice. Seriously everything you need is there except proximity to your jobs. But hey, even in SoCal people are commuting 2hrs to work now.

Now I dont think any commute more than 40 mins to be exceptable, but it seems to be like the new normal. NEPA is close enough for your relatives to come to you, and spend some time there living. I assume it is your in-laws that do the baby sitting. I guess you can arrange between both to spend some time at your place if you choose to move out of state. Heck, they may even like it out there, and move.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:55 AM

6,387 posts, read 13,196,468 times
^ Good luck with that one. Every single person I know that did that move was burnt out within 2 years. And they either quit their NYC job or moved back.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:56 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,066,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^ Good luck with that one. Every single person I know that did that move was burnt out within 2 years. And they either quit their NYC job or moved back.
The traffic going to the GWB, or the Tunnels is horrific during rush hours. But distance wise it is not that far. I go there to shoot guns. It takes me a little more than an hour during non rush hours. If you are trying to beat rush hour in the morning, you will have to wake up very early.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:25 PM

84 posts, read 47,074 times
You can not compare 2008 crash with now. It was straight up predatory lending back then. There's strict guidelines for mortgages now. I dont think prices will ever drop in long island. Nyc is going into ****s with new bail reform and the messed up schools.

These new mayoral candidates all suck. Crime rates are sky rocketing in nyc. Have you gona to manhattan? Its like skid row long angeles. A lot of shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island