Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times

Advertisements

One thing that hasn’t changed - the rankings go mostly along demographic lines. The top schools are heavily Asian (with the exception of Garden City and Manhasset, but those demographics are changing as well) despite 10% of the score being awarded based on how well non-Asian minorities perform. The poorly ranked schools are all non-Asian minority schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So you still would have moved to LI if you were single? I don't get what satisfaction you get from complaining if you moved because you started a family. For someone that claims to have so much, there is still a part of you that needs to make up for what is missing by complaining.

Kids is the reason why anyone moves to LI/suburbs.
Even married without kids, the city is fine.
But if you care about your kids safety and education, you move to LI. Especially with pro-crime liberals like Deblasio making NYC grimy again. My asian kids also don't have to deal with Deblasio anti-asian discriminatory school placement policies.

Since you seem to follow my comments so closely, the unifying theme of all my complaints is Deblasio and how moronic woke liberals are ruining the city I grew up in, which Giuliani fixed.

Last edited by 85dumbo; 04-29-2021 at 07:19 AM..

Old 04-29-2021, 07:30 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Kids is the reason why anyone moves to LI/suburbs.
Even married without kids, the city is fine.
But if you care about your kids safety and education, you move to LI. Especially with pro-crime liberals like Deblasio making NYC grimy again. My asian kids also don't have to deal with Deblasio anti-asian discriminatory school placement policies.

Since you seem to follow my comments so closely, the unifying theme of all my complaints is Deblasio and how moronic woke liberals are ruining the city I grew up in, which Giuliani fixed.
Meh

It was never fixed

The good areas were always good and the bad areas were always bad

And that's how it is to this day

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-29-2021, 07:36 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
Quote:
No surprises in our very top schools as reported today in Newsday:

There are 15 Nassau County schools on the list, including nine in the top 500: Jericho, Manhasset, Great Neck South, Garden City, Herricks, Roslyn, Syosset, North Shore and Great Neck North high schools.

In Suffolk County, two made the top 500: Cold Spring Harbor and Harborfields high schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
One thing that hasn’t changed - the rankings go mostly along demographic lines. The top schools are heavily Asian (with the exception of Garden City and Manhasset, but those demographics are changing as well) despite 10% of the score being awarded based on how well non-Asian minorities perform. The poorly ranked schools are all non-Asian minority schools.
Yes, although Manhasset High School’s Asian population (now 21%) has grown dramatically very recently.

I do agree that Garden City (6%), Cold Spring Harbor (5%), and Harborfields (5%) are relatively light on Asians for top-ranked LI schools nowadays.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 04-29-2021 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-29-2021, 07:41 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Meh

It was never fixed

The good areas were always good and the bad areas were always bad

And that's how it is to this day

You have very skewered view of nyc history.

DUMBO was non residential industrial wasteland full of Squeegee guys. That was my memory of DUMBO in the 80s whenever my parents drove off the Manhattan bridge to get onto the BQE.

Transformed to million dollar condos after Giuliani fixed nyc. If you told me as an 80's kid, that future adult me would buy a yuppie condo there, I would tell you to put down the crack pipe.

Some parts of NYC will always be crappy. Brownsville will always be Brownsville. But even my old medical school neighborhood East Flatbush turned from crime zone into area where I was shocked to see hipster transplants walking around years later when I visited my med school again.

I can give countless other examples of gentrifying NYC, which somehow you claim did not happen.
But thankfully Delbasio is reversing all that and Making NYC Grimy Again.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:54 AM

297 posts, read 133,069 times
Quote:

DUMBO was non residential industrial wasteland full of Squeegee guys. That was my memory of DUMBO in the 80s whenever my parents drove off the Manhattan bridge to get onto the BQE.

Transformed to million dollar condos after Giuliani fixed nyc. If you told me as an 80's kid, that future adult me would buy a yuppie condo there, I would tell you to put down the crack pipe.

Some parts of NYC will always be crappy. Brownsville will always be Brownsville. But even my old medical school neighborhood East Flatbush turned from crime zone into area where I was shocked to see hipster transplants walking around years later when I visited my med school again.

I can give countless other examples of gentrifying NYC, which somehow you claim did not happen.
I'd have to agree with you on that.

Prostitutes, strip shows in Chelsea and 42nd street. Now we have the Highline and the gentrification of that area.
As what 85Dumbo is referring too, SUNY downstate area or lower prospect has changed completely

Seventhfloor - I mentioned I grew up in Canarsie, surrounded by 3 projects. It was a rough ass area that was top in crime for 3 years in the 90s. You didn't walk around at night because you would definitely get robbed.

California actually has a saying that Guiliani/Bloomberg gathered all the homeless and shipped them on a bus out to Cali. That saying in itself is telling about the era and what Guiliani accomplished. Was it great? No he stood by all cops, at all times. He justified more cops on the streets, patroling and walking the beat. Transit cops folded into the NYPD if I recall correctly - subways cleaned up, literally and figuratively. Tourist felt safer and tourism increased and so on and so forth.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:

DUMBO was never a high crime area. Don't spin it. Very easy to develop vacant land and unused factories.

As to the bolded, if Giuliani made East Flatbush so great, why not move there instead of DUMBO?

Old 04-29-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post

Prostitutes, strip shows in Chelsea and 42nd street. Now we have the Highline and the gentrification of that area.
As what 85Dumbo is referring too, SUNY downstate area or lower prospect has changed completely

Seventhfloor - I mentioned I grew up in Canarsie, surrounded by 3 projects. It was a rough ass area that was top in crime for 3 years in the 90s. You didn't walk around at night because you would definitely get robbed.

California actually has a saying that Guiliani/Bloomberg gathered all the homeless and shipped them on a bus out to Cali. That saying in itself is telling about the era and what Guiliani accomplished. Was it great? No he stood by all cops, at all times. He justified more cops on the streets, patroling and walking the beat. Transit cops folded into the NYPD if I recall correctly - subways cleaned up, literally and figuratively. Tourist felt safer and tourism increased and so on and so forth.
Canarsie? Rough? Never got that impression, I have family in Canarsie.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:16 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post

That drop in crime and more people coming into the core was basically something that happened throughout inner cores of US cities (and many non-US cities) through the 90s and 00s. Crime somehow went down in those urban cores without Giuliani as mayor of every single one of those cities including in non-US cities and the start of the drop even in NYC came before Giuliani came into office. This isn't to say that Giuliani had no effect on NYC during his mayoralty, but it's likely that his administration's actions were a fairly minor component of the drop since the drop registered in so many places and sometimes before Giuliani became mayor of NYC (and Giuliani actually wasn't mayor of any other city aside from the US).

NYC's public high schools took 12 out of the top 20 state spots in this ranking and is in general has a far more diverse collection of great high schools compared to its suburbs with some notable exception of the NJ suburbs which also rank very well in the metropolitan area though it bears mentioning that a lot of those well-ranked NJ high schools are also in pretty urban settings and NYC public schools still take up 12 out of the top 20 slots including the top two with LI not coming into the ranks for the metropolitan area until the 24th spot--and it's really 25th as Hunter College High School is almost certainly within top twenty of the state or metropolitan area, but intentionally opts out of the rankings. The advantage of LI when it comes to these high schools is that you can essentially buy your way into these schools by living in the areas where the schools are good and generally have commensurately higher property values (and pretty hefty property taxes). In NYC, it's a different system as many of the top schools have some kind of screening whether it's the straight standardized testing or a more complex formula / procedure where where you live within NYC is either completely out of the equation or only one of multiple considerations. If you want a good public schools and you have the money to afford living in one of the nicer LI suburbs, but you aren't too confident that your kids can pass muster to get into one of the good NYC public schools, then LI is "safer" in the sense that you can essentially more directly buy your kids into a nice school. If you've got some faith in your kids though and they look like they can do pretty well, then NYC public schools are in many ways the better choice.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 04-29-2021 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-29-2021, 08:39 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That drop in crime and more people coming into the core was basically something that happened throughout inner cores of US cities (and many non-US cities) through the 90s and 00s. Crime somehow went down in those urban cores without Giuliani as mayor of every single one of those cities including in non-US cities and the start of the drop even in NYC came before Giuliani came into office. This isn't to say that Giuliani had no effect on NYC during his mayoralty, but it's likely that his administration's actions were a fairly minor component of the drop since the drop registered in so many places and sometimes before Giuliani became mayor of NYC (and Giuliani actually wasn't mayor of any other city aside from the US).
Yup, I love how they credit Giuliani with the benefits of Clinton's mega-economy and budget surpluses that lifted the entire country. Flash to 2001 and Reagans tax cuts and deficit defense spending to "win the cold war" that put us back on the road to debt, debt, deficits and more debt. Giuliani was an authoritarian who got lucky to have a soaring economy and when that fizzled he got a crisis to stand tall on. He rose to that occasion and got 2 decades of political benefit from it. How's he doing now?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island