Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 08:54 PM

82 posts, read 40,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Yes but there are other cost associated that need to be factored in and could be a swing factor in whether they choose Harvard or not - room/board/meal plan/distance to University and ect.
Nope. This is nonsense. They're going to Harvard (unless they get in to Stanford).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 07:02 AM

306 posts, read 136,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post
Nope. This is nonsense. They're going to Harvard (unless they get in to Stanford).
Why is it nonsense? You gave absolutely no points of reference and just plain opinion - at least say, in my opinion. If you truly believe that, then you speak from a pint where you don't understand inner city life, or the immigrant experience.

A buddy of mine got into Stanford but had many East Coast opportunities for residency. Cost for housing alone was 4k a month for Stanford. His wife was insistent he went to NYU, the kids would be in the same school, she keeps her job and ect - it could have gone either way. Point is finances matter just as much and isn't solely based on the school. I can give you more if you'd like.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:09 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,556,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Dinkins laid the groundwork for improving NYC during his mayoral tenure, which was almost concurrent with the George HW Bush administration. It's a shame that Big Bird is undoing the foundation laid by NYC's first and only black mayor.

I did not like Dinkins. However, Big Bird is such a bad mayor that I look back at Dinkins with nostalgia, and appreciate the efforts he made to improve the city. Big Bird isn't even trying, in fact he is actively making it worse after the groundwork of how to keep the city safe was already laid down by previous mayors, including Dinkins as you mentioned.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:51 AM

82 posts, read 40,523 times
Quote:
Why is it nonsense? You gave absolutely no points of reference and just plain opinion - at least say, in my opinion. If you truly believe that, then you speak from a pint where you don't understand inner city life, or the immigrant experience.
There are no inner-city Asian kids passing up free Harvard to attend Queens College in order to save money on food and textbooks and the occasional Fung Wah bus trip to and from South Station. Stop.

Quote:

A buddy of mine got into Stanford but had many East Coast opportunities for residency. Cost for housing alone was 4k a month for Stanford. His wife was insistent he went to NYU, the kids would be in the same school, she keeps her job and ect - it could have gone either way. Point is finances matter just as much and isn't solely based on the school. I can give you more if you'd like.
Med school is a completely different situation. I agree with you here.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:45 PM

544 posts, read 946,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post
Yep. Low income students who get in to top schools generally go for free.

The people who really eat it are middle class families from high COL parts of the country. Your typical NY suburb middle class couple making $225k/year (imagine a cop/teacher pairing) will have a much harder time affording college than a low income family from the City or a middle class family from the sticks (where making $75k/year might put you in the middle class).
True. Just went through the college song and dance starting in 2010 and ending this month. FAFSA doesn't take regional COL into account, so if you're making $125K on LI they view you as wealthy compared with that $75K family -- despite the fact that our mortgages and taxes and utilities are much higher. Chances are they have more of their paycheck left at the end of the month than the $125K LIer.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:01 PM

450 posts, read 390,918 times
Quote:
True. Just went through the college song and dance starting in 2010 and ending this month. FAFSA doesn't take regional COL into account, so if you're making $125K on LI they view you as wealthy compared with that $75K family -- despite the fact that our mortgages and taxes and utilities are much higher. Chances are they have more of their paycheck left at the end of the month than the $125K LIer.
Someone will say you are not taking advantage of the system.. so it's a decision between fraud and honesty. I think there is a reason a lot of people are self employed in parts of long island..

Old 05-06-2021, 03:05 PM

544 posts, read 946,848 times
Quote:
Yes but there are other cost associated that need to be factored in and could be a swing factor in whether they choose Harvard or not - room/board/meal plan/distance to University and ect.
Yes, there could be other direct or indirect costs associated with attending Harvard, their Financial Aid office does take a family's finances and situation into account.

For giggles I ran the net price calculator using a family of four from NY, they rent so no home equity, income $135,000 with 1 student in college, $10,000 in cash and investments and $200 interest or dividend income. 0 for everything else.

Before calculations the total cost per year is $78,228 for direct and indirect expenses -- tuition, books and personal expense, room and board, travel to/from school. After putting my figures in, Net price was $15,650, even less ($12,150) if the student accepted a $3,500 work study position.

Dropping income to $125,000, i kid in college and 0 for everything else, Net price was $13,500; $10,000 if the student took the $3,500 work study.

If this family is dirt poor $25,000 income, total cost is $3,500 offset by the student accepting the $3,500 work study

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid/how-aid-works

Old 05-06-2021, 04:24 PM

2,694 posts, read 2,351,557 times
Quote:
COL adjustments is the biggest BS that the Gov does/doesn’t do. The only time it comes into play is for federal Gov employees. If a job pays 50k, certain areas get a COLA. That 50k job in rural Montana is 50k. In the nyc metro cola is 34% that same job pays 67k.

When it comes to financial aid, federal taxes, welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, wic, salt or anything else cost of living is completely ignored. It only matters when it helps the feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island