Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 09:27 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Geez, Twings, why does anyone take anything this OP posts seriously?! I just don't get it.

To your point, I have never understood the idea of volunteer fire depts in a place this populous and dense. I respect the guys, but it's like a clubhouse/fraternity mindset. Kind of a lose lose. Either keystone firemen from 17 various squads answering the call OR a pro force of crony connected overpaid unionistas.
I was a LI'er for 59 years and that was not my experience. The problem with response time today is that the volunteers are simply not there as they were years ago. Before truck can role you need more than one person and a driver. Our FD were dedicated individuals and had few rewards for answering calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 10:27 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,836,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Of course you don't. Self-sacrifice is for other people.
Oh, we know you're a peach.

Nice moronic deflection. Self-sacrifice is completely irrelevant when talking about whether a service should be volunteer or paid pros. But this kind of sideways emotional play is par for your imbecilic faux-con M.O.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:37 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
Quote:
Oh, we know you're a peach.

Nice moronic deflection. Self-sacrifice is completely irrelevant when talking about whether a service should be volunteer or paid pros. But this kind of sideways emotional play is par for your imbecilic faux-con M.O.
I'm sorry, you are entitled to your opinion, however, here IS a BIG difference between someone who volunteers for a job and one who gets paid. I am not implying at all, that the paid are not equally self sacrificing and hard working, however, there is a difference between a person who goes to work every day and yet in his or her free time answers fire calls and one who is employed as their livelihood. For most that are paid they also serve as volunteers.

From now on I will no longer respond to such insanity, on ignore.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I was a LI'er for 59 years and that was not my experience. The problem with response time today is that the volunteers are simply not there as they were years ago. Before truck can role you need more than one person and a driver. Our FD were dedicated individuals and had few rewards for answering calls.
I was being sarcastic and also dyslexic. The article stated ALL 71 (I said 17) Nassau FD's were activated for the 2 fires. They are all swell guys, I donate plenty to TWO local houses (Wantagh and Levittown, both who had MASSIVE renovations in the last 5 years).

You state why response times are getting longer, directly attributable to lack of availability. I simply prefer a full time, paid force, rather than a guy coming home from work, getting the call and racing to the station w/ his personal auto blue light flashing. It's an antiquated system and while it works in many places, it's also being phased out in most.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:41 AM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times
Quote:
You state why response times are getting longer, directly attributable to lack of availability. I simply prefer a full time, paid force, rather than a guy coming home from work, getting the call and racing to the station w/ his personal auto blue light flashing. It's an antiquated system and while it works in many places, it's also being phased out in most.
Two gutted houses in less than a year in Garden City, one literally around the corner from the fire house, proves it's not working at all. At least not overnight, which is when both these fires occurred. And now we have 3 people dead.

It's not about how hard working or dedicated the volleys are. It's about having the proper tools, including personnel, at the right place at the right time. GC is not a large village but it is fairly spread out.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I'm sorry, you are entitled to your opinion, however, here IS a BIG difference between someone who volunteers for a job and one who gets paid. I am not implying at all, that the paid are not equally self sacrificing and hard working, however, there is a difference between a person who goes to work every day and yet in his or her free time answers fire calls and one who is employed as their livelihood. For most that are paid they also serve as volunteers.

From now on I will no longer respond to such insanity, on ignore.
It's not insanity, it's you missing the point. What is PREFERABLE, a volunteer or pro force?!

You walked right into Lude's trying to weak it into an emotional argument because he had nothing else to contribute. He was insulting me, not making any valid point.

It's a decades old argument ALL OVER the country.

https://my.firefighternation.com/pro...continues#gref

Old 05-07-2021, 12:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,437,251 times
Another fire today @ a nail salon in Wantagh.

What is happening?

Old 05-07-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Another fire today @ a nail salon in Wantagh.

What is happening?
Pretty sure there were actually 3 last night. The GC tragedy, the Jamaica Ash fire (trash dump) in Westbury and a house fire in Westbury that left 5-6 homeless.

Old 05-07-2021, 01:22 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,437,251 times
Quote:
Pretty sure there were actually 3 last night. The GC tragedy, the Jamaica Ash fire (trash dump) in Westbury and a house fire in Westbury that left 5-6 homeless.
I'm sorry but it sounds overly suspicious to me

Old 05-07-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm sorry but it sounds overly suspicious to me
Why are you sorry? Maybe it is. Just heard a way out rumor that the GC fire could have been a murder suicide but NO legit info on that, just my crazy sister in law who tends to be right about this stuff. They identified the mom and daughter but have not identified the man yet.

The Jamaica Ash fire who knows. Those waste haulers are known to be upstanding businesses ala the Sopranos.

And sadly, Patch says that the GC fire dept was at the Westbury fire so could not respond and that the NCPD was first on the scene at the GC house and couldn't get in. Just heartbreaking all around. The girl was going to NYU in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island