Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 03:48 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,117,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Why are you sorry? Maybe it is. Just heard a way out rumor that the GC fire could have been a murder suicide but NO legit info on that, just my crazy sister in law who tends to be right about this stuff. They identified the mom and daughter but have not identified the man yet.
They now say the man was the husband and father. The early reports didn’t make sense when they said the male victim was 62 but hadn’t been identified. How did they know his age but not who he was?

I thought of the murder/suicide possibility when they didn’t indicate a cause. If true, I doubt it will be released as the cause.

https://patch.com/new-york/gardencit...er-deadly-fire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 05:09 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,795,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes.

The house had no working smoke detectors.

Check your smoke detectors folks.
I read that. Crazy!!

Old 05-11-2021, 06:27 PM

874 posts, read 731,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Why are you sorry? Maybe it is. Just heard a way out rumor that the GC fire could have been a murder suicide but NO legit info on that, just my crazy sister in law who tends to be right about this stuff. They identified the mom and daughter but have not identified the man yet.

The Jamaica Ash fire who knows. Those waste haulers are known to be upstanding businesses ala the Sopranos.

And sadly, Patch says that the GC fire dept was at the Westbury fire so could not respond and that the NCPD was first on the scene at the GC house and couldn't get in. Just heartbreaking all around. The girl was going to NYU in the fall.

so let me get this straight

garden city gets rid of (fires) its fire department

then 2 fires break out in 1 day, 1 of them in garden city and 1 of them in westbury

the garden city fire department ends up in westbury throwing water on a garbage dump, while 3 people burned to death in garden city while the nassau county police department waited out side because they could not get into the house, because it just so happens the garden city fire department was in westbury throwing water on garbage?

and then we are seeing a strange up tick in fires around the surrounding neighborhoods?

forgive me for my ignorance on these things, because im not an expert, but why on gods green earth was the garden city fire department in wesbury when three people were burning to death in GARDEN CITY?

if I am not mistaken, garden city has its own police force, like freeport has its own police force.

I thought garden city and freeport cops had to patrol their areas? Can they just go around driving into wyandanch and start pulling people over now? or go into any town and start giving out tickets? isnt this the same thing as the garden city fire department going to westbury to throw water on a garbage dump while 3 people burned to death in their town?

Old 05-11-2021, 09:06 PM

656 posts, read 1,064,595 times
Looks like they have raised $215K on the Go Fund Me for the Garden City family, with a goal of $300K

https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-madig...ource=customer

Old 05-11-2021, 09:27 PM

22,714 posts, read 36,914,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
so let me get this straight

garden city gets rid of (fires) its fire department

then 2 fires break out in 1 day, 1 of them in garden city and 1 of them in westbury

the garden city fire department ends up in westbury throwing water on a garbage dump, while 3 people burned to death in garden city while the nassau county police department waited out side because they could not get into the house, because it just so happens the garden city fire department was in westbury throwing water on garbage?

and then we are seeing a strange up tick in fires around the surrounding neighborhoods?

forgive me for my ignorance on these things, because im not an expert, but why on gods green earth was the garden city fire department in wesbury when three people were burning to death in GARDEN CITY?

if I am not mistaken, garden city has its own police force, like freeport has its own police force.

I thought garden city and freeport cops had to patrol their areas? Can they just go around driving into wyandanch and start pulling people over now? or go into any town and start giving out tickets? isnt this the same thing as the garden city fire department going to westbury to throw water on a garbage dump while 3 people burned to death in their town?
No you don’t have it straight.

The GCFD left Westbury at 2:30 am. The patch continues to publish incorrect info. Go to the GCNews and wade through the comments on the story.

A GCPD officer was on scene first and broke down the door but couldn’t get in due to smoke.

Murder suicide is the craziest thing I’ve heard. FD found ONE smoke detector in the house and no one heard it going off. While they can never definitely say it appears it was not working.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:21 AM

1,292 posts, read 577,539 times
In the plethora of mailers that the various jurisdictions send out detailing their various exploits ("we have a new stop sign!" "We saved $20,000 on buying a used garbage truck, and then spent $35,000 to tell you about it") one that I had been pushing for was regarding the updated building codes and issues that can actually save your life.

1. Smoke alarms are now required in every bedroom, as well as every level of the home in common space.
2. Carbon monoxide alarms are required on every level of the home.
3. Proper identification (house number) in the proper format needs to be visible from the street. Unless flames are blowing out the windows, this is how emergency services will find you.

Also, any new smoke alarms are sealed units with 10-year internal battery unit. These need to be placed in the home whenever a unit is replaced or whenever the occupant changes in the case of a sale or rental.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:44 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,048,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
In the plethora of mailers that the various jurisdictions send out detailing their various exploits ("we have a new stop sign!" "We saved $20,000 on buying a used garbage truck, and then spent $35,000 to tell you about it") one that I had been pushing for was regarding the updated building codes and issues that can actually save your life.

1. Smoke alarms are now required in every bedroom, as well as every level of the home in common space.
3. Proper identification (house number) in the proper format needs to be visible from the street. Unless flames are blowing out the windows, this is how emergency services will find you.

Also, any new smoke alarms are sealed units with 10-year internal battery unit. These need to be placed in the home whenever a unit is replaced or whenever the occupant changes in the case of a sale or rental.
While common sense would have you keep up on working smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors, all of those rules are unenforceable in a private dwelling once construction is done and COs are issued. Only time they might be looked into again is if the home is sold.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:07 AM

1,292 posts, read 577,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
While common sense would have you keep up on working smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors, all of those rules are unenforceable in a private dwelling once construction is done and COs are issued. Only time they might be looked into again is if the home is sold.
Basically the only time any enforcement authority would be inside is to inspect some other kind of work, in which case they would have those items brought up to code (that particular code is retroactive).

The only risk people are taking is with their own lives. Or risking the insurance company not covering damages in less tragic incident.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:49 AM

22,714 posts, read 36,914,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post

Unfortunately it looks like these people lived in the house almost 30 years and if they never had any work done, no one know the smoke alarm situation.

My house had hard wired alarms when we moved in, but when we finished the 3rd floor the inspector still required smoke alarms in every bedroom.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:57 AM
exm

3,737 posts, read 1,799,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Just smh at the idea these fires are related.

One was not even residential.

THere's going to be a big outcry in GC after this ...it's already starting....because they got rid of their paid firefighters and it's been a source of contention in the village. A neighbor claims they have date stamped video showing it took the GCFD 20 minutes to get to the house fire there. Someone else claims RVC FD responded first.

This was apparently the second house fire in GC recently with poor response time....according to comments in the GC News, the homeowner in the other fire actually RAN TO THE FIRE HOUSE to see what was taking so long. The only reason that wasn't a tragedy is because someone was awake at the time the fire started.

As a GC resident, I want to address this well-known controversy. Before the paid FF were abolished, the only duty the paid FF could do was drive the trucks. So if there was a fire, they drove up to the fire and wait for the volunteers FF to exactly extinguish the fire. If this sounds crazy, it is. If you want to know why: FF unions. The FF unions have been playing hardball with the GC village for years in order to get a larger paid FF force. Unfortunately this backfired and now they're all gone.

The volunteer FF force is doing a tremendous job and in all recent fires they were at the scene in less than 10 minutes. It's unknown and unlikely that a paid FF would have prevented deaths, working smoke detectors would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Is that what all the pink ribbons are for on Franklin ave?

Yes, pink was the favorite color of the HS Senior that died. You'll also see white/blue ribbons that reflect NYU where she was admitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island