Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 06:45 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,437,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
You seem a little all over the place - and your search may be sufferering from paralysis by analysis. The crime/noise/income stuff is all good...but that's all stuff you figure out way in advance. Identify the the neighborhoods you want - and then focus on just those areas.

It would appear you have a good idea of what you want in a house (which is good!) but unless you're building new construction, no house is going to have everything you want. Prioritzie and figure out what you can and can't live without.
Everybody loves central AC, but it's not the worst thing in the world to suck it up and go with window units for a few years until you install it yourself.
We have the mitsubishi wall split ac units. They're more 'attractive' than window units. I actually hate central air lol ... window units are ugly. I recommend these mitsubishi ones and there is also fujitsu. The Japanese know what they're talking about when it comes to AC's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 06:57 AM

544 posts, read 946,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
We have the mitsubishi wall split ac units. They're more 'attractive' than window units. I actually hate central air lol ... window units are ugly. I recommend these mitsubishi ones and there is also fujitsu. The Japanese know what they're talking about when it comes to AC's
Just make sure to keep any top filters immaculate. They will draw dust onto the blades which reduces efficiency. I would be up on a ladder several times during AC season to take them off and clean thoroughly, but it still made it onto the Mitsubishi unit fan blades. Mine is 12 years old, I would hope they've improved that set up in newer models.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:08 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,801,078 times
Quote:
Why would you hate central air? I mean mini splits work well and all but it’s still an ugly evaporator unit on your wall In multiple rooms

Old 05-21-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Why would you hate central air? I mean mini splits work well and all but it’s still an ugly evaporator unit on your wall In multiple rooms
I hate central air b/c i am always so cold and I like an AC that I have more control of when it turns on & off

Old 05-21-2021, 02:35 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times
Quote:
I hate central air b/c i am always so cold and I like an AC that I have more control of when it turns on & off
Central air does cycle on and off, just like heat. You're probably thinking of it in terms of going into stores that are always freezing. You adjust the temp to be 78 if you don' t like to be cold - just like with heat.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Central air does cycle on and off, just like heat. You're probably thinking of it in terms of going into stores that are always freezing. You adjust the temp to be 78 if you don' t like to be cold - just like with heat.
i mean I want to be the one who controls when it come on

Old 05-21-2021, 04:58 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,777,876 times
Quote:
You do. You turn the thermostat to the temperature that you want or you can turn it up or down as you please. You can also shut it off completely.

Old 05-21-2021, 05:39 PM

22,728 posts, read 36,950,779 times
Quote:
Do you control your heat? CAC is the exact same thermostat it's just to cool. You set it to the temperature you want and when it gets hotter than that it runs. When it reaches that temp it stops. You really think people don't control the temperature of their own houses?

Old 05-21-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Do you control your heat? CAC is the exact same thermostat it's just to cool. You set it to the temperature you want and when it gets hotter than that it runs. When it reaches that temp it stops. You really think people don't control the temperature of their own houses?
They do but what im saying is my split unit i turn off & on with a remote. Central air just comes on when the temp reaches a certain #. My unit isnt like that. It stays on unless i shut it off & off unless I turn it on

Old 05-21-2021, 10:54 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,887,579 times
Quote:
They do but what im saying is my split unit i turn off & on with a remote. Central air just comes on when the temp reaches a certain #. My unit isnt like that. It stays on unless i shut it off & off unless I turn it on
That's what happens when you have it on a manual setting; if you switch it to automatic it will cycle off and on. Central air has the same options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island