Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:18 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Looking @ a house one town over that’s on a canal. I want to know if the water there is safe to swim in. Is there a database or a website somewhere with this information?
Dawg, if your on the canal and you have access to a boat/water craft you will probably want to go out to the bay. Some people even cross over the bay and head over to the ocean beaches in their own boats.

But if you insist on staying on the canal I would say the water quality depends.

For instance, many canals are actually part of a creek system. Check a map to see if the water continues north of Merrick/Montauk Highway. Then it is part of a creek with a current which flushes some of the water out to the bay. This is very common in the Towns of Babylon and Islip in Suffolk County.

If however the canal is manmade (usually with a dead end) then you are going to have to observe the water yourself. Some canals are bigger or the water flushes out more, some do not. I would imagine that the closer you to the open end of the canal (towards the bay) the better the water quality is.

If you are looking at Babylon (Amityville, Copiague, Lindenhurst, Babylon) then you should know the Town has as least two Town beaches directly on Great South Bay - Tanner Park in Copiague and Venetian Shores in Lindenhurst. There are probably smaller ones as well. IMHO, they are going to be better for swimming then a local canal.

Islip has similar Town beaches on the bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 04:57 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
It's fine sheesh. I wouldn't drink it, but I wouldn't drink pool water either.

My kid and I jump in the canal all the time on a hot day in the summer. The neighbors too.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
I was horsing around on a jet ski in a canal a few years back. I fell off and went under water. I woke up the next day with the worst case of swimmers ear you could possibly have. Took a week full of strong antibiotics to get rid of it. And that was the last time I ever got in canal water.

Old 05-14-2021, 01:43 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
you could not pay me to swim in those canals. Ocean or Bay I'd swim in.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:09 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Dawg, if your on the canal and you have access to a boat/water craft you will probably want to go out to the bay. Some people even cross over the bay and head over to the ocean beaches in their own boats.

But if you insist on staying on the canal I would say the water quality depends.

For instance, many canals are actually part of a creek system. Check a map to see if the water continues north of Merrick/Montauk Highway. Then it is part of a creek with a current which flushes some of the water out to the bay. This is very common in the Towns of Babylon and Islip in Suffolk County.

If however the canal is manmade (usually with a dead end) then you are going to have to observe the water yourself. Some canals are bigger or the water flushes out more, some do not. I would imagine that the closer you to the open end of the canal (towards the bay) the better the water quality is.

If you are looking at Babylon (Amityville, Copiague, Lindenhurst, Babylon) then you should know the Town has as least two Town beaches directly on Great South Bay - Tanner Park in Copiague and Venetian Shores in Lindenhurst. There are probably smaller ones as well. IMHO, they are going to be better for swimming then a local canal.

Islip has similar Town beaches on the bay.
We don’t have a boat right now but yes that is the plan at some point. We also don’t have a pool… It would really be nice to just be able to jump in the water right in my backyard

Old 05-15-2021, 10:27 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
We jumped in my friends long beach canal 20 years ago. Idk about now. Shrug.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:56 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Nice try there canal police. It was a private canal with only 1 solo house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinche guy View Post
Falling off of a water craft in a canal takes a special kind of person. All canals are 5mph.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:15 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,748,688 times
I grew up in Suffolk county when it was nothing but duck farms & potato fields. I've witnessed the death of the shellfishing industry in the Great South bay from the runoff caused by development. The Long Island Sound has pretty much bounced back after being nearly killed off in the 60's but I'd stay out of the bay and the canals.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:25 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
It's fine sheesh. I wouldn't drink it, but I wouldn't drink pool water either.

My kid and I jump in the canal all the time on a hot day in the summer. The neighbors too.
Where is your canal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island