Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,563 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

My wife and I were born and raised in Huntington, mid 30's, three kids (7,4,1). Currently live in Greenlawn. Our taxes are outrageous, and this past year has made us consider relocating to parts unknown. We have researched the seemingly usual haunts (North Carolina, Florida etc) for NYer's looking to escape NY, but most seem to be just a slightly different version of what we are trying to escape.

We took a day trip out to the Mattituck/Cutchogue area yesterday and really like the area. More spread out, rural feel and great scenery.

Question is - has anyone relocated out to the north fork recently that can share experience/advice?

Also, taxes seem to be significantly lower out there and I was curious if anyone knows why that is.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 10:08 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,490 times
The taxes are lower because second homeowners don't send kids to school or use services but pay taxes. Taxes are even cheaper on the south fork because the percentage of second homeowners is much higher. Taxes on a $5MM Hamptons house are probably in the vicinity of $20k.

You don't say whether you need to be anywhere for work. Pretty far out. The prices also shot up significantly since COVID.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,563 times
Thanks - that makes sense on the taxes.

I work remotely full time (even pre covid), and my wife can get away with going to the city 2-3 times a month, so not overly concerned with being that far out.

Our families are both still in the Huntington area so I thought this was a good middle ground as opposed to always being a plane ride away in other parts of the country.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
I love it out there. It just seems so impractical and like in the middle of nowhere but it's so pretty.

Sooner or later I am sure I'll be back in the city for work ... my husband works in Nassau ... but if we could move out there, I would in a heartbeat ... but maybe South Fork ... cuz ya know "South Sho' Fo Sho'"

Old 05-21-2021, 02:33 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Taxes are also low because there aren't always so many services, like garbage pickup. It is great out there....we had friends that moved out there 20+ years ago. We always thought they'd move back to Nassau and they never did.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland2LongIsland View Post
Hi all -

My wife and I were born and raised in Huntington, mid 30's, three kids (7,4,1). Currently live in Greenlawn. Our taxes are outrageous, and this past year has made us consider relocating to parts unknown. We have researched the seemingly usual haunts (North Carolina, Florida etc) for NYer's looking to escape NY, but most seem to be just a slightly different version of what we are trying to escape.

We took a day trip out to the Mattituck/Cutchogue area yesterday and really like the area. More spread out, rural feel and great scenery.

Also, taxes seem to be significantly lower out there and I was curious if anyone knows why that is.

Lack of (bloated) school districts. Generally, our annual RE taxes are made up of approx. 2/3 school district charges and 1/3 for all other services. Fewer school aged children = fewer schools = lower taxes.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:57 PM

978 posts, read 673,521 times
I grew up out there. A bit east of mattituck. It’s one of the last nice places to live on LI. Taxes are. Bit lower but home prices are a bit high (for me). Otherwise I would move back in a heartbeat.
If you work from home all will be good. Your QOL will go up tenfold.
Enjoy and don’t look back.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:10 PM

690 posts, read 584,378 times
If I had family here, and wanted to stay on LI, I would move out there in a heartbeat. Beautiful area. Best of luck.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:55 AM

544 posts, read 938,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIsland2LongIsland View Post
Hi all -

Question is - has anyone relocated out to the north fork recently that can share experience/advice?

There has been an increase in population and building out there in the last 30 years. Plenty of locals have complained about the inability to make a quick run to the store on weekends where agritourism is at its peak.

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork...idge-suggested

Other than that, it is beautiful.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:39 AM

690 posts, read 584,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
There has been an increase in population and building out there in the last 30 years. Plenty of locals have complained about the inability to make a quick run to the store on weekends where agritourism is at its peak.

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork...idge-suggested

Other than that, it is beautiful.
I feel like that's any resort town though no? We have a home at the shore, and it is so peaceful and quiet in the fall/winter. Beginning of May? Feels like LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island