Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,148,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
LOL come on....the stuff about the mental patients is an urban legend....and an OLD one at that! The psych center closed in 1996!!
Agreed Sean

BS Alert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 AM

231 posts, read 959,594 times
Three buildings on the old hospital grounds are being used. I don't know as what - I assume they are halfway homes, recovery or treatment centers. Some of the people staying there do look like mental patients. You see them walking into town on Main street all the time. Doesn't bother me - I still think it is a nice place to live.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,498,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
Three buildings on the old hospital grounds are being used. I don't know as what - I assume they are halfway homes, recovery or treatment centers. Some of the people staying there do look like mental patients. You see them walking into town on Main street all the time. Doesn't bother me - I still think it is a nice place to live.
Are you sure about that? I know there is at least one maintenance building open at KPPC, and the two houses near 25A....maybe the two homes are being used as halfway houses? When I drove through over the summer it didn't look like it.....they looked like they're actually private residences now, with one family living in each. That's just from a drive-by, though. The grounds were turned into a state park a few years ago, so I'd think it would be pretty hard to get a halfway house or dedicated drug treatment/recovery facility set up on them. The maintenance crew is pretty much just there to scare kids away.

BTW Does anyone know if Pilgrim State is still open? A few years ago, I was coming down the Sagtikos and peeked my head in there for a second....couldn't even recognize it cuz so many of the buildings had been torn down, but one of the big "towers" still looked active.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,989,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Agreed Sean

BS Alert.
Ha, and a particularly old one at that. The hospital closed in '96 and anyone not sent to NYC went to Pilgrim and now THAT has long since closed! Maybe the patients are wandering around on the Southern State Pkwy.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,136,122 times
^^ Wrong mongoose65.

Pilgrim is still up and running. To what percentage I dont know. Believe me I drive through there getting onto the Sunken Meadow Pkwy. and there are people wandering around. And some of the buildings are up and running. Creepy at night!!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,642,990 times
Quote:
BTW Does anyone know if Pilgrim State is still open? A few years ago, I was coming down the Sagtikos and peeked my head in there for a second....couldn't even recognize it cuz so many of the buildings had been torn down, but one of the big "towers" still looked active.
According to the latest LIPA Population Survey, the January 1, 2008, population at Pilgrim Psychiatric Center was 880.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,528,315 times
I belive there is 2 halfway homes (look residential) by 25a and one drug treatment building still in operation.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:20 PM

13 posts, read 34,312 times
my grandma lives in kings park so i have somewhat grown up around there and over the last few years i have lived with her on and off.

its a really nice, cute, comfortable town. its actually pretty small, but i like it. its one of the few towns on long island i would actually consider raising a family.

my two cousins went to the kings park school district and were involved with sports and clubs and did really well in the school.

the train station is right there also, but no fast food if youre into that lol. you have to drive out to smithtown to find a mcdonalds or wendys.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 AM

195 posts, read 310,051 times
that's not true i got assaulted by one nut a few years ago...
there's still one place open there for them.

Quote:
LOL come on....the stuff about the mental patients is an urban legend....and an OLD one at that! The psych center closed in 1996!!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 PM

8,810 posts, read 21,253,367 times

Yes, they have half-way houses there at Pilgrim, the ones that are right on the roadway (Wicks, I think) . Some of the larger buildings might also still be used.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island